Been thinking..

Savantjk

Street Tracker
of selling the bonnie with intent to getting an older bonnie or tiger.. I set out to get a classic and ended up with the hinckley. I'm looking for something to get around town on and enjoy on the country roads since they are plentiful where I'm at. Any advice? Don't do its? You'll love the classic? I'd appreciate it.. just something I've been dealing with for a while.

Thanks guys

KingBear

Hooligan
I admire the older models and sometimes daydream about riding or owning one, but I would never give up the performance, reliability, and general safety of my '06 T100 for a vintage model. As much as I enjoy their nostalgia and history I feel that those bikes belong to a different age. My bike belongs to me, my time, and I write my own history each time I ride it.

slobinski

Scooter
Have you looked at one of the new Tiger 800's? Just bought the road model and am really enjoying it. Goodbye Wee-Strom. I'll be keeping my T100 though.

Mike Britton

Two Stroke
I have Triumphs from all three eras. An '06 Scram, a '68 T120R, and a '56 TR6.
Of the three, the new bike is my favorite. It starts every time, with an electric starter, the lights work every time, good brakes, and there is no puddle under it.
The '68, feels much lighter, but suffers from weak brakes, and has many drivetrain issues, the result of thousands of miles, and poor maintenence habits by previous owners.
The '56, probably the best handling bike of the three, again, marks it's spot in the garage everywhere it sits. Isn't legal now, and because of what seems typical damage to the chain cases, probably never will be.
It has been rebuilt so many times, I'm thinking of zippers on some of the parts.
Riding each bike is a totally different experience, with the new Scram being the most trouble free of the three. The only grease or oil on it is from the chain, something I can't say for the other two.
Vintage Triumphs are fun, no doubt, but they require attention beyond what is considered normal, and inmyarrogentopinion, are not viable mounts for daily drivers.
I thought seriously of selling the '68 when I bought the Scram. I have since changed my mind. With all it's faults, and there are many, I still smile every time I touch it.
The '56? If I end up living under an overpass, I will be dragging that '56 along with me. :w

Last edited:

DandyDoug

750cc
All depends on how much you like to tinker IMHO.
Once the older bikes have been sorted and fettled they are fun to ride for short distances. Just remember the old saying, ride it for 2hr's , fix it for 4.

I went from a Hinckley to a 26 year old BMW, felt it would be more suited to the kind of riding I enjoy and still give me some tinker time.
About 1/2 that worked out. LOL

mark66

TT Racer
The old bikes are fun but as others have said, if it's your only ride and your relying on it, it might just let you down. However if you can find one as a second ride that's really the way to go. Before I got my '07 Bonnie I was riding just the old BSA's and that's what finally drove me to a new Triumph. If you just want it for the occasional ride a couple times a week around the back roads and your not depending on it for daily transportation, then a classic is fine.

Savantjk

Street Tracker
See I was thinking if I could find a bike with a recently rebuilt drivetrain that it may solve some of the problems.. not so? Any way it goes, I'll still own one. May try to find some thrux wheels for the bonnie or something and get some on/off tires. We ran into some gravel on the road the other night and my buddy went down and I damn near did.. Had me thinking that I could get something better suited to terrain since my bonnie is pure street now. Maybe it would be a more feasible solution to find some thrux wheels or something and get some on/off tires on the bike? Maybe some custom spacers to fit the F3 forks could be managed?

I think multiple bikes are the only way to go. I have a lot of fun on my Bonnie, but my FZ1 is a damn blast too. I'd like to pick up a 400cc-ish dual sport bike, maybe a vstrom 650, or KLR 650, etc. I need like 4 more bikes, at least ;)

neuroboy

750cc
i've thought about flipping my '05 the bonnie for any number of bikes (Street3, something more sport-tour-y like a Sprint, older Triumphs, etc). . . the bottom line--at least as I see it--is there's no better all around bike that is as fun than the modern bonnies. My friend's FZ6 is fast and versatile and another's R1150S is more of a mile-chewer but neither comes even close to the elation what I get from my bike.

I have ace bars and rear sets for around town and day-trips and it's sporty, I flip to the stock bars for more leisurely short and longer trips and you want to utilize your "sitting bones" and generally be more relaxed.

I honestly don't think I ever want to sell it.

Mike Britton

Two Stroke
"We ran into some gravel on the road the other night and my buddy went down and I damn near did.."

If what you ran into was gravel on pavement, there is no tire combination that will save you. Maybe as trecherous as ice. Like trying to stay up on ball bearings.

Texas94fs

Hooligan
Keep the bonnie and buy a vintage one as well. Thats the only way to go. You have yours for when the other one is torn down. which it will be. but when youve got an old one sorted proper, there is nothing like kicking it over and having a blat.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
I agree nueroboy -

For a cheap all arounder, a Bonneville is pretty decent. It does everything pretty well. There are bikes that do any one of thoose things better. few that do all better.
Savatjk-
If you get an old bike, make sure you really realy love it. Otherwise you will hate it. There is nothing like wasting money and time and garage space and being paid back in aggravation to prove this point. They are a lot of work.

Savantjk

Street Tracker
"We ran into some gravel on the road the other night and my buddy went down and I damn near did.."

If what you ran into was gravel on pavement, there is no tire combination that will save you. Maybe as trecherous as ice. Like trying to stay up on ball bearings.

Gotcha.. I have the kenda/trail wing set up on the yama and it's much more stable through the loose gravel.. i figured if i encountered it with the dual sports on they would help keep grip.