Beautiful day for riding....but

whyme

TT Racer
Had a long summer of redoing my backyard..only got to ride twice in June. went to start the Scram...rough to start even with choke on, got it running but would only run with choke..no idle..could hardly rev it even after letting it warm for a long time. Poping coughing etc... any ideas from the master mechanics here? Did the carbs gum up??

Hate to rip it apart if any one has any remedies to try first. I put some sea foam and the tank and tried to run it a bit with that but still the same.

Thanks in advance for your ideas. really bummed me out when I finally had some time for a ride.

Texas94fs

Hooligan
Sounds like a fuel/air issue. I'd guess carbs, but check airbox and filter to make sure a mouse or other critter didn't make it's home in there.

whyme

TT Racer
yeah..thats what i'm figuring...thanks for the reply. I was thinking just running it a bit could loosen it up if it was gummed up..hate to rip it apart again...already did airbox delete, jets and shims last year

whyme

TT Racer
So what's the chance of my gas being bad from sitting since June?? Before I go and drain the tank

qwenzel

Two Stroke
So what's the chance of my gas being bad from sitting since June?? Before I go and drain the tank

The chances are very good, the gas is bad. Save it and use it in the lawn mower/ snow blower.

Once you drain the tank, use some Sea Foam in a couple of tanks of gas.

If you aren't going to ride it much, don't forget to add StaBil to the tank.

whyme

TT Racer
Drained the tank, added fresh gas, checked the petcock filter, ran some sea foam, sprayed inside the intake with carb cleaner...nada...any other ideas? Electrical?? Weak Battery??

thanks

R.Hawks

Two Stroke
Did you check the vacuum caps on the intakes? If they are cracked or your missing one,it would cause the same problems.

Last edited:

whyme

TT Racer
Now that it's getting warmer I'm thinking about how Im going to get my scram going without dropping a load at the dealer. Dealer wants $50 just to pick it up and will probably cost $300-$400. I'm beginning to think it's an electrical problem and maybe I should try a part swap before I drop a log at the dealer. Maybe toss a new rectifier in?? Battery??

thanks

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
If you can get your hands on a CI then do so as that is a possibility you could rule out. Do the basics if you haven't...change the spark plugs, fresh battery or a fresh charge, all connectors good, the vacuum caps are a very good suggestion...definitely get a Haynes manual if you haven't done so already and run the troubleshoot section of this.

whyme

TT Racer
Ok thanks...I'm not that mechanically inclined but I've done carb work etc on my bike. Took a look at all of the fuel componets and everything seems good-Electronics are not my bag. I see the rectifiers are not that much money and they do go bad so I was going to try this. My battery is probably due to go south soon also, so if I try both I'm still nowhere near what the dealer bill will be.
I also had it lose power once when riding, pulled over shut it off and then it was fine. Was thinking venting issue and lossened the gas cap at that time too.

whyme

TT Racer
ruled out the CDI..dropped some seafoam and 93 octane in...running a bit better. noticed that if I shake the bike with half choke it stops sputtering and idles better. I was mixing the seafoam around. I guess Ill have to take the bowls off and check the jets...ugghh

Have you tried cleaning the ports that your idle circuit needle screws into? They can get clogged with smuts, and needs disassembly and cleaning with cleaner and pressure air. You might need a bent paper clip to get the teensy o-ring out. I not only cleaned mine out but also replaced my screws with thumb screws with new spring, washer and rubber o-rings. One of my rubber o-rings were starting to crack and fall apart.