Basic toolkit.

alan29

Scooter
Hi. I'm very new to this. Could people suggest what I should put into a basic toolkit for doing routine stuff - not planning on taking the engine to bits!!!!
Ta.

Carnation

Street Tracker
Oil filter wrench. 63mm I think.
Decent quality 1/4" and 3/8" drive socket set.
A set of hex bits and a set of Torx bits.
Good quality flat blade and Philips screwdrivers.
Set of ring spanners.
Pliers.
Feeler gauges if you're going to check valve clearances or spark plug gaps. If you're going to check valve clearances you may want to invest in a 1/4" drive torque wrench, say up to 12Nm as the valve cover bolts are easily snapped if overtightened.
Hammer.

Trolley jack.
3/8" drive torque wrench up to 85 Nm (65 FtLb).

Haynes or Triumph manual.

How far do you want to go? Carb balancer?

You might be better off buying the more general stuff and then getting the more expensive bits as and when you need them depending on how much diy you intend doing. i.e. taking wheels out.

Last edited:

Craigore

TT Racer
2 Adjustable wrenchs/ Allen set/ Wire strippers or box cutter.

Lost my rear/brake lights on the highway in the middle of the night and managed to fix them with this minimalists toolkit. A flashlight works also I used my cellphobe haha

Easy13

Street Tracker
Carnation's got just about all of it covered, though that's a pretty big bite all at once. I'd start with just a set of metric sockets, pliers, allens and torx bits for one of those multibit screwdrivers. The rest you can pick up as needed.

Definitely look up the Haynes manual near term.

Yep, get a set of metric wrenches and a 3/8-inch socket set, a few various lengths of 3/8-inch extensions for the socket set, and a metric hex key set. Get 19mm, 22mm, and 24mm wrenches and sockets if they're not included in the sets. This assumes that you have the basic hand tools: Screwdrivers, rubber mallet, various pliers, etc.

That's what you need to start. The screwdriver handle with a set of torx bits and a set of metric Allen (hex) bits is a bonus and well worth having, not expensive either if you look in the bargain tool bin at Ace Hardware. But don't buy too cheap for the ratchet set. Craftsman (Sears) or Kobalt (Lowes) is decent quality and reasonably priced. Craftsman frequently goes on sale, keep an eye on the Sears web site

You'll need an 18mm Craftsman or equivalent thin spark plug socket too.

Buy the other tools as you need them, and in a year or two you'll have most of what you need. Think eventually about a torque wrench and a set of 3/8" metric Allen bits for it.

Last edited:

AceT100

Rocker
Triple A card & a cellphone is all I carry with me....

LARGE assortment of tools here at the house tho