Back Protector

Insterereo

Two Stroke
I was thinking of getting a back protector to wear under my jacket. Anyone have any good experiences with one in particular? Im looking for something that has a good balance of comfort/protection/cost

Knox gear is very good. Can you get it in the US?

You can...check out Sportbike Track Gear. www.sportbiketrackgear.com

I have their chest and rib protector. Its awesome. Too bad my new leathers are so tight I can't get it to fit. On my other suit I can.

I currently have a Dainese Air 7 back protector. Its the type you wear and have a waist belt. I wear that for track days and runs up Palomar Mountain

I was thinking of getting a back protector to wear under my jacket. Anyone have any good experiences with one in particular? Im looking for something that has a good balance of comfort/protection/cost

What type of riding do you do? If its mostly commuting, you can get away with one you slip into your jacket. Ive gone down with it on and its done a fine job. I can't remember the name brand of it. If you PM me to remind me I can check when I get home.

When I ride the track or some serious riding, see my other post. above

taw1126

Scooter
I just ordered a Teknic/Knox TP2 back protector, designed to slip into a pocket inside the jacket. Only $18 + shipping (MSRP of $30) but it's CE certified and probably better than nothing.

em_dot

Street Tracker
+1 on Sport Bike Track Gear. Great service, and quick delivery.

I got the Icon Field Armor Vest. Fine for the road and very comfortable under my leather jacket even on 3+ hour rides. I think I would want more armor if I were to go to the track though.

I wear both the leather jacket and armor vest every single time I ride, no matter how hot.

DIRK

750cc
while a back protector is a great idea, there is always the issue of your elbows, shoulders and then the slide protection your jacket will offer. a thinish leather jacket is better than a cheap nylon jacket that will melt into your skin at 15mph. the average accident happens at 35 mph and you will slide between 10 and 30 feet. so this may be more to consider. but yes any quality jacket will have provision for a back pad. but sped at the upper limit of your budget and when you need to use it you will be happy for the investment. yes i wear pants jacket and gloves every time.

ivar

TT Racer
I currently have a Dainese Air 7 back protector. Its the type you wear and have a waist belt. I wear that for track days and runs up Palomar Mountain

I have a similar Dainese, wear it more than 90% of my riding.
Also use it when snowmobiling, then the added back/kidney support really helps.
When I went down 2 years ago, I landed flat on my back, thinking "this is gonna hurt" - but it didn't, the back protector did its job.

But now needs to get the velcro strips replaced, they're totally worn out

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
I weara Fieldsheer Monza jacket which has a full length back protector , elbow/forearm and shoulder armor.
All CE.

I'm not 100% AGATT but pretty close.... I don't expect miracles out of this armor but I think it would help in a fall.

Stars&Bars

Two Stroke
I prefer a leather jacket and the protection it provides but it's usually so hot and humid around here that I use my Fieldsheer mesh jacket 90% of the time. It has the shoulder, elbow, forearm armor and a foam back protector. Came with a liner but that was stripped out upon it's delivery.

jfenton

Scooter
while a back protector is a great idea, there is always the issue of your elbows, shoulders and then the slide protection your jacket will offer. a thinish leather jacket is better than a cheap nylon jacket that will melt into your skin at 15mph. the average accident happens at 35 mph and you will slide between 10 and 30 feet. so this may be more to consider. but yes any quality jacket will have provision for a back pad. but sped at the upper limit of your budget and when you need to use it you will be happy for the investment. yes i wear pants jacket and gloves every time.

totally agree, a good armored leather jacket is worth its weight in gold. saved my ass in a crash.