avon roadriders

neuroboy

750cc
so. . . i'm at about 10K miles and it's time to replace the stock tires to prepare (read: hope for an early arrival of) riding season up here. the roadriders (AM26) seem to garner pretty much universal acclaim but the only option for the 100/90 19" front is a "universal" tire. the motorcycle-superstore folks are saying it would work but they're also saying they wouldn't recommend it for handling reasons.

thoughts?

Shorty

Two Stroke
I don't quite understand the term "universal tire". The people I purchased mine from show the 100/90V-19 as a Front or Rear option in their catalog and maybe that's what is meant by "universal". I've had mine now for about 2 years I guess and haven't had any issues. They grip, and the front and rear are matched. Maybe this will help.

http://www.partsmag.com/0610/avon-0610/Avon-0610.html

The article is about 2 years old and obviously a sales-plug (sorry, but it's not coming up...maybe too old). I opted for the 140 in the rear. The article basically states that the special silica compound were designed for "light and precise in town slow speed handling foremost" however "it has all the high speed characteristics expected from Avon and are V rated at 149 MPH with a multi-arc tread profile to give the Roadriders the largest possible contact patch, whatever the lean angle".

Shorty

Last edited:

drlapo

Hooligan
I have that front tire on my 79 Bonneville: its fine
I have the 110/18 on the rear and just put a set on my BMW R80
just follow the direction arrows on the sidewall

Nick Morey

Rocker
I checked Avons website. I believe that tire is listed as universal because it could go on the back of a smaller bike. Just as long as the front tread is opposite direction of rear tread it should be fine.

loxpump

Rocker
I have them front and rear on mine and love them. Even did a track day with them and noticed no difference in grip and handling from the Metzlers. The front tire has directional arrows pointing each direction one for front and one for rear mounting.

Pauljo

Scooter
I have Avon RoadRiders front & rear on my T100. I put a little over 1,000 miles on them before Winter stopped my fun. They have been great - no issues. If I get decent mileage from them, I'll buy them again.

bonZa

Street Tracker
I have Avon RoadRiders front & rear on my T100. I put a little over 1,000 miles on them before Winter stopped my fun. They have been great - no issues. If I get decent mileage from them, I'll buy them again.

ditto here 'cept have done about 15,000 kilometers. great handling tyres

have heard of some complaints with splitting in the centre groove though. apparently Avon replaced them at no charge

Roadrider AM26 milage has been very good for me on a GS500. Have had 2 sets of them and a first 140/70/17 rear gave me about 15k miles and a 110/80/17 front went over 18k miles. My 2nd set is doing equally well and son has got similar long miles from the Roadriders using a GS for a commuter.

Here's a comparo test of seven bias ply tires from the the UK Bike Magazine rating the AM26 one of the best that might be of interest to you:

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/421778173_r5kSp-X3.jpg
http://www.smugmug.com/photos/421778222_97mdg-X3.jpg
http://www.smugmug.com/photos/421778267_oz9pS-X3.jpg
http://www.smugmug.com/photos/421778306_bGmAr-X3.jpg

Just signed in here recently to look around since I'm considering a Bonnie for my next ride. Mid size standard type bikes are getting hard to find on the US market.

Motley

750cc
Roadrider AM26 milage has been very good for me on a GS500. Have had 2 sets of them and a first 140/70/17 rear gave me about 15k miles and a 110/80/17 front went over 18k miles. My 2nd set is doing equally well and son has got similar long miles from the Roadriders using a GS for a commuter.

Here's a comparo test of seven bias ply tires from the the UK Bike Magazine rating the AM26 one of the best that might be of interest to you:

Just signed in here recently to look around since I'm considering a Bonnie for my next ride. Mid size standard type bikes are getting hard to find on the US market.

Good information there, thanks.................and welcome.

cafenoir900

VENDOR
Get 'em...

The article bears out my experience with tires on my '04 Thruxton. The stock Metzlers are really miserable in comparison to Pirellis and Avons. I replaced my Metzlers with Pirellis and found them far superior, however they had a tendency to dive into corners. Not really a bad thing, once you got used to it. Put Avons on the next time around, and these were a real improvement over the Pirellis. Absolutely solid, predictable at all speeds, and neutral into and out of corners. Good in the wet, too. I am on my third set of Avons. I get about 12 - 13 k miles on them (I weigh 160).
It is amazing how much tires affect the overall feel of the bike... something you have to experience. Tires are probably the most dramatic change you can make to a bike to improve handling. As the tires wear, there is a gradual deterioration in handling... it is always pleasant to get new skins.
One caveat: be sure to have your wheels properly balanced with the new tires. My dealer delivered my bike without doing this - shimmy, shimmy, vibrate. I have been using Dynabeads in the last two sets and they have worked very well indeed for dynamic balancing. There are no wheel weights to look ugly or fall off, too. I know some people don't like them, but I have no complaints, and recommend them (and no, I don't work for the company).

Get those skins and enjoy!

Kingmoham

Scooter
Roadriders & Dynabeads

I have been using Dynabeads in the last two sets and they have worked very well indeed for dynamic balancing. There are no wheel weights to look ugly or fall off, too. I know some people don't like them, but I have no complaints, and recommend them (and no, I don't work for the company).

Get those skins and enjoy!

Roadriders & Dynabeads; Great Combination. Can't be beat.

WyoBonnie

Scooter
Another RoadRider AND Dynabead Fan

Started on the Dynabeads after my first tire change. They work for me as they are explained on their website. Been in two additional tires since, all 3 working just fine - nice and smooth.

After the stock Metzelers, I had Sport Demons. They absolutely grabbed the road for me. But, man do they wear quick - I only got 5K miles on em. Went to the Avons and they have been great also. I don't think they grab as well as the Sport Demons, but so far, they are wearing really well. And smooth!!

Kframe

Street Tracker
so. . . i'm at about 10K miles and it's time to replace the stock tires to prepare (read: hope for an early arrival of) riding season up here. the roadriders (AM26) seem to garner pretty much universal acclaim but the only option for the 100/90 19" front is a "universal" tire. the motorcycle-superstore folks are saying it would work but they're also saying they wouldn't recommend it for handling reasons.

thoughts?

I love the Avon's I've got them on my Bonneville and I just ordered a pair for my CB550.
Dennis Kirk (www.denniskirk.com) has them, and also has inch sizes if that's what you need, like the 3.25x19 that is close to but not the same as 100/90-19.

What Avon means by universal is that it can be a front or a rear tire, but it has directional arrow that show which way to mount it for front or rear.
Due to the shape of the tread, on the rear tire you want the tread to push backwards against the road surface when accelerating, on the front you want the tread to push forward into the surface when braking.

This looks odd to some folks and that's also why if you mount Roadriders people on the forums will comment on your bike photo asking if the front tire is on backwards.
It's not, it was designed that way by people that know waaaay more about traction than I do.
Avon's not going to put out a tire with "handling reasons/issues", that distributor is misinformed. There is a reason you've read a lot of acclaim for the Roadriders, they're great tires.

Try Dennis Kirk, they ship same day, and shipping over $100 is free (but tires are always $5 shipping each).
-K

MES

750cc
funny reading this thread.
tires, like lots of things are so subjective.

Now I'll tell you my experience with 'em.

first off let me say that I THINK they suck big hairy balls and I wouldn't have a roadrider on the rear if they gave them to me free. In fact I was so pissed off that I replaced mine after 1,200 miles.

It was comepletely vague and tried to track every groove it could find. It would hold, it just didn't feel like it would. did this for almost 500miles. Then they started to cup on me. By 1,200 miles they were so Pringled that they were unsafe. when I took the wheel to the shop they took one look at it and couldn't believe it was a bad as it was. It was so bad that they actually took pictures of it and sent them to the Rep at Avon. Avon said that it was ridden underinflated and too bad for me.
BULLSHIT.
NEVER in my life had I seen a tire cupped so badly.
I check my tire pressure every saturday morning just before I go riding. Without fail. I wrote them back and told them that. No response.

I ride on those miserable stock Metzlers. They are predictable and they hold.
I would ride Pirrelli sport demons (if you ride hard they are the way to go) but they are hard for me to get. I also get a really goood geal on the Metzlers.

That's just me and your results may vary.

Last edited:
Wow
I think thats the first time I have ever heard bad about the roadriders. Must admit I have them on my Bon and have no intention of ever fitting anything else.

MES

750cc
Who knows. It could have been just that tire or the whole batch.

the fronts seem to be OK. I got a front on there with 5K on it now. I might get another 2K out of it.
They hunt and track at first but they settle down quickly enough. They are pretty neutral handling wise. They hold fine unless you get them real hot and work them hard. Then they get chirpy. They don't do the wet very well though.

Kframe

Street Tracker
See and I think that the Avon's do great in the wet. I rode in about a thousand miles of steady rain up on the road in Canada last summer, and they did really well. Of course, they were almost brand new at that point too.
It is interesting hearing different experiences.
-K

Last edited:

MES

750cc
See and I think that the Avon's do great in the wet...It is interesting hearing different experiences
yes it is.
my front was worn about 1/2 way. we were up in the mountains with lots of transitions from dry to damp to wet wet. The road surface was good but it would sometime slip just a bit and then catch. We were by no means pushing it as the conditions were bad. At times visability was about 10'. We were in the cloud layer and had to look almost straight down at the yellow line to stay on the road
could have been uneven heating of the rubber or too cold. I don't ride that much in the rain, certainly by your standards.
(bottom line is we cut it to fine and got caught with our pants down. I really should have known better. We give ourselfs a bit more of a margin now.)

Nick Morey

Rocker
yes it is.
my front was worn about 1/2 way. we were up in the mountains with lots of transitions from dry to damp to wet wet. The road surface was good but it would sometime slip just a bit and then catch. We were by no means pushing it as the conditions were bad. At times visability was about 10'. We were in the cloud layer and had to look almost straight down at the yellow line to stay on the road
could have been uneven heating of the rubber or too cold. I don't ride that much in the rain, certainly by your standards.
(bottom line is we cut it to fine and got caught with our pants down. I really should have known better. We give ourselfs a bit more of a margin now.)

you're right you should probably stick to the Metzeler's or Pirelli Sport Demons.