Auxillary Power

You should never connect anything to your battery without an inline fuse. So as long as you use some sort of pigtail connector with an appropriately sized fuse on the positive line, you can go directly to the battery. A lot of add on accessories such as heated clothing and battery tenders come with pigtails that have a blade style fuse already on the positive line.

The triumph accessory socket plugs into a part of the wiring harness and has a 10 amp fuse in the main fuseblock, so that is likely a cheap and inexpensive way of getting your GPS powered up. You might find you have other uses for the accessory socket too.

ssjones

750cc
I just ran an inline fuse from the running light of the headlight. The 12V powersocket is almost invisible behind my headlight.

TC_Dick

TT Racer
Hard to beat for about a $3 investment.

Just make sure your splice is clean and well insulated. You REALLY don't want to get water in there or have your headlight go out at the wrong time.

Me, I'd tag it off the parking light or something else that's less critical to non-crashyness.

ssjones

750cc
Just make sure your splice is clean and well insulated. You REALLY don't want to get water in there or have your headlight go out at the wrong time.

Me, I'd tag it off the parking light or something else that's less critical to non-crashyness.

That's exactly where I grabbed power. I never used that parking light feature anyway. I always solder and shrink wrap my connections versus crimp-on splices.

The GPS power cable in the picture above has the "FM Traffic" alerts, which I really don't need on the bike. I discovered my 12V phone power cord, with a mini-USB end also powers my Garmin Nuvi just fine. That cord is always in my saddlebag, so that is handy. Plus, I feel better leaving it on the bike if necessary. The FM-traffic cables run about $75.

I'm getting the bracket powder-coated silver during the winter season and should be ready to rock & roll next season. 29 degrees here this morning, with sleet/rain on the horizon........

KingBear

Hooligan
... The GPS power cable in the picture above has the "FM Traffic" alerts, which I really don't need on the bike. I discovered my 12V phone power cord, with a mini-USB end also powers my Garmin Nuvi just fine. That cord is always in my saddlebag, so that is handy. Plus, I feel better leaving it on the bike if necessary. The FM-traffic cables run about $75. ...
Not trying to be ticky-tack but my experience is that my Garmin cord will charge both my GPS and my Blackberry, but while my Blackberry charger will charge my Garmin, I can't operate it while it's charging. So I have to use my Garmin cord if I want to use it for both devices.

Remember, the Triumph auxiliary power outlet IS NOT the standard U.S. "cigarette" size, so you will either have to use an adapter or buy power cords that fit the Powerlet socket. Speaking of which, I need to order one of the cables for my Garmin/Blackberry. See their website... http://www.powerletproducts.com/

Last edited:

ssjones

750cc
Not trying to be ticky-tack but my experience is that my Garmin cord will charge both my GPS and my Blackberry, but while my Blackberry charger will charge my Garmin, I can't operate it while it's charging. So I have to use my Garmin cord if I want to use it for both devices.

Remember, the Triumph auxiliary power outlet IS NOT the standard U.S. "cigarette" size, so you will either have to use an adapter or buy power cords that fit the Powerlet socket. Speaking of which, I need to order one of the cables for my Garmin/Blackberry. See their website... http://www.powerletproducts.com/

Guess I was lucky, my 12V, $10 cord from Walmart powers both units. The
12V power socket I bought came from my local Autozone. Previous to installing this power supply, I had a Powerlet cable to run a cigarette lighter adaptor off my Battery tender lead. I'll save it for the instance where I might need to items to power at the same time.

Hi, I know this post might be a little late..but I went down to Radio Shack and picked up an accessory socket which had a snug push in cover and 3-6 feet of wire also an inline fuse holder. The sides of the socket had 2 slots which I covered with tape to keep water out.
I mounted / wedged the socket on the right side behind he headlight facing up. I loosened up the gas tank and ran the wires along the frame on the right side... after cutting to the right length I added a toggle on/off switch then..with insulated connectors I just plugged them into the Triumph acc. wires they left for us just for this purpose.. You can find the install instructions online...
I added the on/off switch because the socket is always powered and didn't want to chance a short when the socket wasn’t needed....
I run my GPS from there no problems.... I haven't yet, but intend to plug in a battery charger in there so I don't have to take the seat off or add wires to the battery connections to do this....

Oh yea I think the Radio Shack socket was like $6.00 plus a switch? prob less then $12.00 a lot less the ? $24-35? for Triumph part..

Dave G.

Craigore

TT Racer
Sorry to dig up an old thread... but do you connect the positive on the accessory socket to the blue wire in the harness and the negative to a ground? I don't really want to buy the OEM part, too expensive when I can do it on my own.

Stars&Bars

Two Stroke
I'd reckon you could always break out your handy dandy multi-meter and check your harness for polarity if ya can't get a response soon enough to suit ya?
Where does the factory acc. plug mount anyway, I'm guessing somewhere around the headlight area?

jackblack

Scooter
Hi Craigore----My bike may have different wireing to yours we have the head lite on all the time --- I connected it to the feed to the head lite wire--it will only work on high beam---check with a voltmeter you may find one of the lites has a power to it all the time --good luck---just remember not to plug in any high drag (amps) thing---my GPS uses very little power hope this helps--- Tim

ssjones

750cc
Please show me where you spliced the wires. Thanks
I just used the two lead wire to the running light bulb in the headlight. I believe it was a black & yellow wire combo, but easy enough to unplug from the bulb. I cut my connector off, but if I were to do it over again, I'd just wire the correspending connector to the 12V power socket, than simply plug it into the running light connector. I never used the running light and can't really imagine a use for it, so I guess no big deal.

Remember, the Triumph auxiliary power outlet IS NOT the standard U.S. "cigarette" size, ...

It's not a standard UK or Australian size either!!

I bought an adaptor from my local BWM dealer for a few AU$ which fitted but adds about 50mm to the length of the Triumph socket!!

Kappy

Two Stroke
The best is to install a power outlet. Buy one from http://www.powerlet.com/, comes ready to install ! Check out there page- really great stuff.
I have 2 outlets on my T100: The original Triumph which I use to charge my mobile or battery. The other one I have installed at my bar for my GPS. Here I used the Powerlet socket, it comes with cable harness and fuse, ready to install. It actually takes longer to remove your seat and tank, then to install the cable harness and power socket -:)

Kappy