australian fires

Kirkus51

Hooligan
I'm sure a lot of those fires have something to do with geography.

It seems to me that 230 dead is really high, especially when you read there were 6 in one car. I wish you guys from Oz would explain it. The fires must move fast and evacuation is complicated.

I only ask this cuz I lived in SoCal for years and wildfires are the norm when the Santa Ana winds blow. Lots of property loss, but very few fatalities.

hbj74

Scooter
It sure is getting worse as the day goes on, this morning it was 108 dead, i am sending all my good thoughts down that way today, lets hope some rain comes soon
Haydn

Rhodie

Street Tracker
46C/115F with whipsaw winds and allegedly arsonists igniting further fires.
The Prime Minister calling their actions murderous.
But it was the blanket covered body of a biker, with his ride a few metres down the road,
that illustrated the speed & intensity of these fires.
My thoughts are with you all in OZ especially in Victoria & NSW.

Last edited:

KingBear

Hooligan
The amount of smoke and heat these things generate is difficult to imagine. As I was driving on I-10 across the gulf coast two days ago traffic had to slow down to a crawl because of a brush fire. It was small but had spread to both sides of the road. As I drove through I could barely see, and even inside the car I could feel the heat immediately. This was a small, tiny little fire. I cannot imagine what one of those big blazes must be like.

God be with our Australian friends.

cynr1023

TT Racer
hope you guys get a turn for the better with the weather to help you out. If you do indeed find the arsonists you should stake him down in the path of his own fire.

Texas94fs

Hooligan
DAMN! Y'all be careful out there! Hopefully they catch the bastards and do like cynr said, that or hand them over to the families of those killed!

Moggy

Scooter
Smoke

The smoke from the fires made the sky here look very strange 2 days ago. The wind was straight from Oz (Very hot) and the high cloud was a yellowy, orange colour.
The sun was nearly totally obscured.
Very apocalyptic, and kinda scary.
I really feel for any body caught up in it in any way.
I've been to Vic, and know the area a bit, and my heart goes out to my ANZAC cousins.

bonZa

Street Tracker
the fires are still burning here and the body count seems to be going up everyday. there is even talk the toll may reach 300, please God, forbid.

at least we have had cooler weather this week, but more heat is forecast by the weekend.

everyone seems to know someone who's been affected one way or another.

the other day riding home it was 46 deg C (nearly 120 F). felt like riding in a blast furnace. on the day of the fires it peaked at 48 deg just out of Melbourne.

with regards to evacuation, it seems that the fire was so incredibly fast many people were caught unawares and a lot of deaths occured in cars that were overwhelmed by smoke and fire.

one thing I can say about these Bonnevilles though. hot weather doesnt seem to bother them

cafecruzin

Two Stroke
r338466_1536858.jpg

0648272300.jpg

main-pic.jpg

My heart goes out to those in oz affected by these fires. I heard this mornings news say 11,000 square miles incinerated so far.