Austin, TX to Southern California

as some of you know, I'm currently less-employed. I say less-employed, rather than unemployed because I'm working at a friend's restaurant but I have loads of free time.

My cousin is in the USMC stationed in Camp Pendleton and I'm thinking of riding out there. I have free places to stay, with friends, in El Paso, Phoenix, and So Cal. Basically all the trip will cost me is gas, food, and booze.

Is there anyone along the way that is willing to let me shack up on their couch or use their garage for tuning/tweaking/etc? Maybe just an emergency number to call in case something bad happens?

I figure it will take me a day to do Austin to El Paso, another day for El Paso to Phoenix, and then another day for Phoenix to So Cal. So I figure 3 days each way, plus I hope to spend 3-4 days there, so maybe 9-10 days total.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

MattRat

TT Racer
I made that drive so many times you have no idea...

just find interstate 10 and stop when it gets wet....

I'm no longer in the area, but a couple of must see stops -
-Fort Sumter, Texas - an old cavalry outpost...did you know there were camels in Texas?

-Hatch, NM - Best chiles anywhere - just wander into any restaurant and you'll never want to leave

The Thing - Texas Canyon, Arizona (right near the NM border)- the classic old school roadside attraction. Just follow the billboards (can't miss 'em)

If you have the time, stop in Palm Springs and ride the tram (if it's still there)

Total drive time is about 18 hours nonstop (yeah, I did that a couple of times) but take your time and plan art least 3 days.

Have fun, man

MOSES

750cc
Sounds like fun !

I've never made that trip on a bike but made it a couple times in my old bus.

If you do, dress warm !!

MES

750cc
Sweat, when you comming?
(the days are short now and most of our really good riding is above the snow level or really close to it. April, May, June is better riding. still good now, just not as good.)
The RockHead and I will show you around L.A. and points north. we have really good twisties here.
Talk to Andy Meatwagon. He's in San Diego and he hooked up to the scene.

Camp Pendleton is kinda in no mans land as far as riding goes but it does have a few steller roads. Carlos is right near there and S.D. is right down the road.

Give everybody as much notice as you can so we can throw out the welcome.
Between the three of us we got the entire southern half of the sta covered.

I got tools and a place to wrench if needed.

my e-mail is in my profile at the other place.

If you come, we will ride um hard.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
++1 on the tram in Palm Springs. There's a SOCAL road that kinda parallels the old Butterfield stage route (S2 off I8 in Ocotillo)which is tasty, cuz you wind up in Julian, a very cool town. Dress warm and have fun. Oh yeah. Dress really warm!

By the bye. A whole lot of nothing in West Texas, so keep your tank full.

Last edited:

cynr1023

TT Racer
Sweat, enjoy the ride and take some powder for the nether regions. On my 1500 mile jaunt I think that may have been the main thing that would have made a difference. That and some extra juice for the mp3 player. If you can't charge yours on the run get a cheap one that you can power by battery and use it. When I went from Killeen to Miami my player died around the middle of Lousiana and that shit drove me crazy. This is what was going through my mind for the rest of the trip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEbE3fGfF-o

MES

750cc
I'm stoked for ya. if we don't hook up I'll be bummed.

Julian is a little turisty but getting there is big fun. Nothing like having a wild turkey come at ya mid turn. First time that happened I coulda use some 101.

There is a lot to do and see here. It's all about you. If you want to make the scene, we'll do that. You want to ride, we'll do that (JRH and myself avoid that. but no worries).
whatever you want.

Maybe couch tour at my house for points north. It won't be pretty but it will be warm and dry.
Just want to see you get the most out of the trip.

N.M. Has world class riding and is really worth taking the time to have a look see.
Spider Rock is something and getting to it involves 200s mile of lonely twisties.
How much time you got.
N.M is best after May. high elev are snow covered.

thanks for all the input guys, and offerings of couches and garages, and info.

This is still in the planning/idea phase and I gotta round up some cash first.

I just told the ol' lady about the idea and she is kinda pissed off...been on my ass for a ring and the trip idea didn't exactly make her day...women, sheesh!

JoeRockHead

Scooter
Like MES said, let us know when you'll be here. As for the Palm Springs tour suggestions, if you leave I-10 just west of Tucson and follow I-8 to San Diego then north on I-5 to Pendleton you will bypass Palm Springs, but I-8 is more direct and you'll have less traffic to deal with. Besides, who needs a tram ride when you have Six Flags parked in your garage?

I'll probably go through Phoenix, I have a good buddy that lives there so I imagine I'll stay there coming and going.

Thanks again guys!

Hedge

American Infidel
Excellent plan Jeff, do this while you can. But like I said a while back . . . you should go South. So after you get to Cali and your done, go South to SD (I think that is where Carlos is from) and head into Mexico and ride the fuck out of your bike straight through Mexico, down through Central America, and finally around all of South America right down to the bottom tip. Then turn around and come home and write a journal about your adventure. What's the worst that could happen . . . Your bike gets stolen, you get kidnapped or killed, you get in an accident in a remote part of the world, you make it back to Texas and you still find yourself unemployed, You find out that your woman left you and now lives next door with your neighbor! Anyway you look at it your a winner in my book! Hit the road, check out the world, enjoy the experience of spontaneity and take in all that the world offers in different cultures. Dam to be in your shoes right now . . . penniless without a single thing holding me back from exploring the entire world. Who knows, by the time you make it down to the bottom of South America you might hook up with a cargo ship heading out to another Continent that will take you and your bike with them!

ahhh...how bipolar women are...

after some cuddling and "I love you"s all is well and she now she says "I want you to go on the trip"....but I need to make a "commitment" before I leave...guess that means, somehow, I'm getting a bike ride, and she's getting an engagement ring...which is hilarious because I really can't afford either, and the trip will be A LOT cheaper than the ring. Women!

Kirkus51

Hooligan
Sweat. One more thing. If you've never been to the Rock Store, you should go. But I haven't been there in years and years, but I assume something that's been going on for decades won't go away.

Hedge

American Infidel
could you explain what the rock store is? I've heard about it for years but never heard more than the name mentioned.
It is the place where you buy the rock when you decide to "Drop the Rock on the Lady!" Know who your dealing with so you don't get ripped off. Research the piss out of the 5 C's. Ask around for advice from people who you trust who already bought from someone. We have family members who work in the diamond district in NYC and when I was shopping my guy mailed me up 5 rocks to examine. I picked the one I liked most 1.1k and mailed them all back to him. He got me a nice ring from downstairs and mounted it for me and I think I was out of there for like $3800 for a $5500 appraised ring. The wife loves it. In my opinion anything over 1k is stupid unless you got Fuck You Money and I don't. You can get a flawless 1/2 k that will look better than a lot of larger diamonds. Don't fall for peer pressure . . . anything between 1/2 and a full k fully represents your intent!

KingBear

Hooligan
I used to be in the jewelry business. The pressure to buy big diamonds for engagement rings is a crock of shit. I've seen young couples go deeply in debt at the outset of their relationship just to impress friends and family. For the same amount of money they could have fully furnished an apartment or made a down payment on a home.

I recommend the "Molly Brown" approach ($150)...

seaside_2018_1931332

Last edited: