ATGATT Reminder...

tuquoque

Scooter
Damn!

I am waiting for my first ever ride to happen in few weeks and couple of more stories like this and I will return my brand new Bonneville to the store... naaw, just kidding.

ATGATT it shall be. Thanks for the reminder.

Bonniebret

Rocker
In the late 80's I had a Honda scooter and was "that guy" who rode around all the time in shorts, tank top and flip-flops. I was usually drunk or buzzed half the time too. Now I can't even imagine doing that and cringe every time I see someone like that go by.

mark66

TT Racer
Wow.....that truly is a great reminder. It's hard to put on that gear on a beautiful hot summer day, but you have to.

Kappy

Two Stroke
I am riding bikes of all sizes for the last 36 years and have always worn safety gear.
Now I live since few years in Dubai and even here in the horrific summer heat (6 month long during day time 42 to 46 Degree CELCIUS !) and have and will continue to wear my safety gear ( gloves, leather jacket with protectors, proper boots and a jeans).

No one should ever compromise on this for the sake to look "cool" - pictures like this a good reminders not to play with once luck .....

Kappy

AceT100

Rocker
When I did my bike course back home in England, the 'safety lecture' consisted of the following...

Instructor :Morning everyone, we have to do a safety equipment section before we start, we can do it one of two ways....we can either watch the 'made in 1963' video about safety gear which is 25 mins long, and boring...Or, we can do it this way...

He then turned round, pulled his shirt up & revealed the massive scarring to his back from falling off a scooter he had stolen when he was 14 & crashed in a gravel parking lot.... :eeek:

I wear all the gear every time....

RyanRobot99

Street Tracker
I don't get why people don't wear gear... My only fault is Chuck Taylor shoes. I'm getting a nice pair of bike boots before El Diablo.

But I really like my jacket, helmet and gloves. I feel like it's a privilege to be able to wear them while I ride.

RyanRobot99

Street Tracker
In the late 80's I had a Honda scooter and was "that guy" who rode around all the time in shorts, tank top and flip-flops. I was usually drunk or buzzed half the time too. Now I can't even imagine doing that and cringe every time I see someone like that go by.

DAMN SON. Scary.

KingBear

Hooligan
I don't wear leather or armored riding pants and I skimp on the footwear from time to time, but I always wear a helmet, gloves, long jeans, and a jacket. Okay, sometimes I shed the jacket. I guess that makes me MOTGMOTT.

AceT100

Rocker
I don't get why people don't wear gear... My only fault is Chuck Taylor shoes. I'm getting a nice pair of bike boots before El Diablo

Do it now Ryan.

When I first moved here, I used to get angry at the people who rode without gear, then, after a while, I just thought...Fuck it...not my problem, if your coming off, don't do it where I'm gonna see it.

:cya:

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
That's a nice cautionary tale and all. But let's face it. Bimbette put on a helmet that didn't fit, and got on the back with some dude that went SO FUCKING FAST that the wind under her hemet visor was enough to RIP HER FROM THE BIKE and then she slid almost 200 yards?

That's no run-of-the mill bike drop there, that's stupidity and irresponsibility.

That said, yeah - ATGATT. While chicks might dig guys with scars, it doesn't work so much the other way.

The least amount of gear I wear is sometimes I'll take a quick scoot with only levis on the legs - still keep the boots and either the armored mesh or leather jacket always, gloves always, and helmet always. 97% of the time I have armored riding pants over the jeans.

Last edited:

Keith Harding

Two Stroke
That's a sad tale for young Brittany, even if as BlueJ says, she may not have been first rate 'mode' for the ride.
Either way, it is a cautionery story for all of us next time we think, 'I'm just popping down to the shops for a moment - I won't need all that kit.'
Ride on.

Bonniebret

Rocker
When I went down I was wearing a helmet, leather jacket and gloves, Levis and PF Flyers (essentially hi-top All Stars). I've gone back and forth and asked other on whether or not boots would've made a difference. We're all in general agreement the answer is "no". I'm glad I was wearing what I had on.

Keith Harding

Two Stroke
Same here. In my last prang I was wearing (this is some 20+ years ago) a leather jacket and had friction burn a hole right through it and through my skin to expose the bone on the inside of my elbow - the 'funny' bone - not so amusing. Pretty uncomfortable I can tell you and that was the least of my problems with that particular crash!
These days I am kitted out more sensibly (apart from the open face helmet - ahem) and ATGATT :) is the go.

drlapo

Hooligan
my youngest son went down on his Daytona 675. He broke it in half
he was wearing an armoured jacket, jeans, boots, gloves and a helmet
he twisted his ankle
anyone want to buy an engine from a 675?

HepcatBob

Scooter
my youngest son went down on his Daytona 675. He broke it in half
he was wearing an armoured jacket, jeans, boots, gloves and a helmet
he twisted his ankle
anyone want to buy an engine from a 675?

Glad your son's okay, but sorry about the bike. Another great testament for ATGATT.

retrorider

Scooter
Thanks, Arkwright, for this timely public service announcement. We all need a reminder now and then about what can happen. I shudder when I see these girls on the back of their guy's bike in a tank top and sandals. The guy usually has his leather jacket and boots, and she probably has no idea how one moment can change her whole life.

drlapo

Hooligan
I'm going to get some "Draggin Jeans" or similar before Bennington this year
my armoured "space man" pants are too hot and do not "match" my Belstaff leather jacket
its ATGATT for me