arthritis and clutch pull

I have a 2012 bonneville, and have started to develop arthritis in my hands, I ride a lot in the city of chicago so lots of stop lights and traffic and clutch pulls. The clutch is pretty stiff and it seems like if it was easier to pull it would make my hand hurt much less. Is there a way to make the clutch easier on my hand? I'm interested in after market solutions as well as changes to the bike.

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
Have you tried the spin dial on your clutch lever? Adjust that number to where you bring the lever closer to your bar so that there is less stretch. You could also try to back out the ferrule to slacken the cable as well. Just make sure that the arm is getting enough pull so that you are not grinding when you shift and that is an easy trial error thing. Lastly, if all that fails then you could look into a hydraulic clutch which most certainly help with the problem that you are having. It's definitely something you should be able to tinker around with and getting something dialed in that you are comfortable

Twodogs

Street Tracker
Back in the 80's some motocross bikes had heavy clutches and there was an after market product that extended the lever at the engine giving it more mechanical leverage. It was a simple bolt on mod that just clamped over the top of the standard lever. I cannot see why this sort of modification would be too hard to do with a bit of thought, material and a welder (or make one that clamps on).

Last edited:

fender

Street Tracker
If a mechanical mod dosn't work there are hydraulic clutch kits out there. Not sure if they reduce the clutch effort or not, but might be worth a look. Streetmaster has one, pricy but if it keeps you riding might worth it.

LoVel

Two Stroke
The hydraulic clutch on my VFR was a harder pull than the Scrambler or my wifes Bonnie. I shifted into neutral at lights a lot more on that bike than I ever did on my Sprint or on the Scrambler.

I would go with trying the adjustments and if that doesn't work get an after market lever that is more adjustable. Was told by a friend that an aftermarket adjustable lever worked for her.

Last edited:

Kirkus51

Hooligan
I know there's a variety of clutch springs out there too. Might go for a softer spring.

Sweat has some knowledge about this.

Twodogs

Street Tracker
I know there's a variety of clutch springs out there too. Might go for a softer spring.

Sweat has some knowledge about this.

Would that be a good idea, being that the standard springsare only just strong enough to prevent the clutch from slipping.

T

ttbonnie

you could opt for a suicide shift... foot operated clutch hand operated shift.. but as the name implies..

Wheelhorse

Scooter
I have a 2012 bonneville, and have started to develop arthritis in my hands, I ride a lot in the city of chicago so lots of stop lights and traffic and clutch pulls. The clutch is pretty stiff and it seems like if it was easier to pull it would make my hand hurt much less. Is there a way to make the clutch easier on my hand? I'm interested in after market solutions as well as changes to the bike.

Have you compared it to another Bonneville, simply for comparison's sake?

monty

Street Tracker
I seem to recall that an adustable brake lever from a suzuki bandit fits so maybe the clutch.lever does as well. That and a longer lever at the motor end may do it. Try moving the swithch / lever up and down as well. I used to be a dispatch rider and on occasion my ligaments used to pack up in my left wrist round town, and this helped.