Anyone using the Norman Hyde large fuel tank?

drooartz

Scooter
I know it's a bit spendy, but if I decide to keep the Bonnie longer term I'll need to do something about the fuel range. I ride quite a bit in southern Utah and southwest Colorado, and in those places a range of < 200 miles is just not enough. The Norman Hyde tank (5.8 gallons US) would give a theoretical range of 232 miles at 40 mpg, making 200 miles a pretty safe range even with variances in mpg and actual usable volume.

I seem to remember reading about someone on the old Rat site that had one and had some issues, but can't recall all the details. Anyone here have any experience with one?

TC_Dick

TT Racer
I know it's a bit spendy, but if I decide to keep the Bonnie longer term I'll need to do something about the fuel range. I ride quite a bit in southern Utah and southwest Colorado, and in those places a range of < 200 miles is just not enough. The Norman Hyde tank (5.8 gallons US) would give a theoretical range of 232 miles at 40 mpg, making 200 miles a pretty safe range even with variances in mpg and actual usable volume.

I seem to remember reading about someone on the old Rat site that had one and had some issues, but can't recall all the details. Anyone here have any experience with one?

orpheus used to use one on his bonnie, but traded it out for a custom job.

for the price, that's just not worth it. You can get a cheap fuel cell and plumb it in for 1/10th of the price.

bikebits

Scooter
My solution:

DSCN1423855x642.jpg

RoyNC

Street Tracker
My solution:

DSCN1423855x642.jpg

Hi Dave.... that looks great. Where did you get that spare tank and how did you mount it? How many gallons does it hold?

From what I have heard about the NH tanks they do not leak but they recommend that you do not polish them up to a shiny finish because it has been known to thin some of the welds. That is the problem that Orpheus ran into on his. I think you can read about his exploits on AVRider.com.

From what I have heard about the NH tanks they do not leak but they recommend that you do not polish them up to a shiny finish because it has been known to thin some of the welds. That is the problem that Orpheus ran into on his. I think you can read about his exploits on AVRider.com.

I think that's total bullshit. If they're making them that thin they would be problematic anyway.

bikebits

Scooter
Hi Dave.... that looks great. Where did you get that spare tank and how did you mount it? How many gallons does it hold?

I had thought about the Hyde tank but they're quite expensive and Hyde's own website advises against polishing. That sounds marginal to me.

The can is made by Kolpin and can be had from any bike shop that will order from a supplier's catalogue. This thing is sturdy! It must be two or three times the thickness of a standard hardware store gas can.

Mounting details are here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141616&page=251

Phil-1100

Scooter
I have got a Hyde Tank it is all things:
Expensive
Cannot be polished
Thin walled material
It leaked when I purchased it
Poor fit, I had to make it fit

In answer to the above, it cannot be polished because it has been made out of many sections and aluminium is notoriously differcult to join sections and polish without showing the weld line.

Its thin walls was why mine leaked at the flange joints
It was a poor fit, so they sold it too me at a discounted price (not enough discount though)

Would I buy another, probably yes: when I go touring the extra capacity is a god send. The tank is too big, a more usable size would be one between the standard and the Hyde tank

Advantages:
Longer range
Easy to fit

Disadvantages:
Heavy when filled with fuel
Much too big

DSC01406.jpg