anyone have any experience with VW Dune Buggies or Sand Rails?

here's a pretty nice street legal rail going for under $4k

3m43p43l15Y65P65R3ace8776ad550c231dff.jpg

TITLED AS 78
1600 VW ENG W/4-SPEED VW TRANS AXLE

austat2

Scooter
i`ve had 5 beetles ranging from 1200 to 1600.The 1600 had good power for a beetle but my mate had a 1600 buggy that could lift the front wheels. He did have a bit of work done to the motor though

MOSES

750cc
How do the VW engines hold up to turbocharging? A turbo would look awesome on an open rail.

that, or slap a Hayabusa engine in. Ha!

a 1600 with the right cam and a t3/t4 turbo "should" get you at least a 100hp
I don't known a lot of guys running the turbos since I've been out of the loop for a few years but I've notice them a lot more in the magazines so there's probably bolt on kits now. I wish I turbo'd my old 2165cc in my last car !!! The bug motors are tough, but for some reason I always heard to stay away from H cases witch is the 1st letter on the engine case just below the Generator/alternator stand.

cool Moses. Thanks for the info. I'm gonna save my pennies until Feb/March and maybe pick something up. I hope the weather is shitty and the used bike and VW Sand Rail prices are low!

If/when I get serious, I might hit you up for some more info.

TC_Dick

TT Racer
cool Moses. Thanks for the info. I'm gonna save my pennies until Feb/March and maybe pick something up. I hope the weather is shitty and the used bike and VW Sand Rail prices are low!

If/when I get serious, I might hit you up for some more info.

I grew up around bugs and have done a shit-ton of work on 'em. You really don't want a 350 in that thing unless you want wheelie bars.

They are so light that an air cooled 1600 cc vw motor will haul some pretty good ass with no more than adding a second carb (or a 2 barrel webber).

thanks for the info. I might hit you up with questions when and if I get serious about one. That'll be in February of March.