Anybody buy a new bonny lately?

deck99

moped
4 months ago I bought a new Suzuki DR650. I love it but it has it's place. Prior to that I had a very nice Yammy XS650. I really miss the standard streetbike.

I'm thinking about now buying a Bonneville for a second bike...maybe something for longer rides. Not sure what model or color. I think I like the T100.

deck99

Mahart

Two Stroke
There's a good chance that the Bonnie will become your primary bike, unless you trail ride.

Kiwi

Two Stroke
I went from a DR650 to Ducati ST4s to a T100. The DR was used for everything from trail riding to dirt back roads to main roads - short runs with just me on it to long runs fully loaded up to bike rally's. The long runs were around 500km per day. The DR is a GREAT do everything bike. What are you using yours for? What are you wanting to use a Bonneville for? If you like the back road stuff maybe a Scrambler would suit you better? Still great on the road but more able if you get tempted by those dirt roads you come across.

I have a quad bike for off road playing now, it's great for shooting from too. The pic is my DR when I sold it.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 0

Arty

moped
I bought two recently ...

One in August 2010 which some BMW driver took a dislike to and run it off the road, and it's replacement in December 2010. It's a blue/white Bonneville SE and I'm loving it ...

She's pillion/luggage friendly. She looks like a proper bike, we love that retro 70's styling. A fine choice for an all round comfortable daily ride, here she is with just 50 miles on the clock last Monday.

Art

deck99

moped
I use my DR for ripping around town! Thrashing down country roads (I was a motocross racer in my teens). I love just thumping around with it as a solo ride.

I want a street bike nostalgic street bike to take my wife for a ride on occasion and just ride.

Last summer I bought and rebuilt a '75 CB500. I wish I would have never sold it. I am not in the mood to do another rebuild. I want something retro but modern.

deck99

Best way is to test ride some. I get the impression the 675 street would suit you best But from a retro point of view I dont think you can beat the Scrambler. Try both T100 and SE Bon, triumph Scrambler and a street 675 as you will get some different riding positions and heights to make a choice from.

Heizer

Scooter
I bought a T100 about a year ago, and use it for not only my daily commute, but also for trips. Threw some luggage on her and took her out for a 2000 mile round trip to Montana last summer. She ran and handled like a champ. Can't beat it for looks.

henrys

Street Tracker
Bought mine in the summer of 09. I though I'd want a faster bike but I'm glad I didn't buy one. It's already hard enough to keep myself out of trouble with the bonnie! It's such a fun bike to ride and it's been very reliable. I wouldn't trade it for anything. I'm now looking for an older bonnie to compliment my retro model in the garage.

Kappy

Two Stroke
I bought a T100 5 weeks ago and just love the bike, carried out some modifications according to my needs...Admit that I should have bought that bike long ago. You cannot do anything wrong when you decide to buy one.

I have 2 more old British bikes, which I love tinkering on them but riding I do only with the T100 - at least the last 5 weeks!

Go for it !

Last edited:

Rubicon

Scooter
I just bought a used 09, I love the bike. The stock seats suck, after 60 miles your in pain, but for short jaunts the seat works great. Ive done 2 semi long rides, first day i bought it was 140 miles, and i did a 161 mile ride on Thursday. I REALLY need to figure something out with the seat but other then that the bike is great. Enough power to get yourself in trouble with, handles great, etc.

SCBonneville

Two Stroke
I just bought a used 09, I love the bike. The stock seats suck, after 60 miles your in pain, but for short jaunts the seat works great. Ive done 2 semi long rides, first day i bought it was 140 miles, and i did a 161 mile ride on Thursday. I REALLY need to figure something out with the seat but other then that the bike is great. Enough power to get yourself in trouble with, handles great, etc.

There are plenty of after market seating options that will improve things... But if you're at all DIY/handy and like the look of the stock seat... Re-foaming it with a quality seat foam is both easy and cheap.

Sargent Cycle Products in Jacksonville has their "Super Cell Atomic Foam" and you can either buy a piece from them and do it yourself or send them your seat and they will knock it out for you...

I had them do the seat on my '02 and liked it A LOT... not Barqalounger comfortable but a BIG improvement...

I did the job myself on my '03's seat... Here's what I learned... Use the 1" foam... 2" sounds better... it should be "twice as good"... um... nope... TOO firm...

Go to photobucket and search for SCbonneville photos.. I posted a couple... I did the whole length... you can do just the front area. You just notch out the old foam and glue in the new piece with spray adhesive and then shape it with some coarse sandpaper glued to a piece of 1 x 4.... Take a piece of trash bag and lightly glue it to the foam (moisture barrier) and then reinstall the cover. I went with less "bucket" up front to further replicate the older styled seats and I added a layer of batting to give it a smoother shape.

six by six

Two Stroke
I'm rocking a Scrambler gel seat. I like the look and it's not Barcalounger but a lot more comfy on my ass than stock.

benjamindickens

Street Tracker
I bought a Bonne SE 09/10 Dec last year and I love it coming from a sports bike prior to that the options to customise are endless, the ride is nice and even those boys who like to pull us over being the police like it and leave me alone. The nice thing is it looks like a bike and being a fan of cafe racer I am doing her up like one. The only thing I didn't like on the bike was the seat being a hard ride as it is scoloped. However this was rectified by installing a thruxton gel seat which is awsome. I am a huge fan of the bonne and I wouldn't have anything else.....

cgn152

moped
I just bought my first Bonnie. Its a 2005 T100. She had 24000 miles on her but she was so well taken care by her previous owner I had no reservations. He decked her out with a vintage slicer from, I believe, '47. I have wanted and been looking for a used Bonnie for almost a year, and finally found her. I did have to practically pry her out of her old owners hands. In fact I am such an awful negotiator, that I talked his original asking price UP $300.(when I contacted him he said he was having second thoughts) The only problem I have had so far is the seal for the cam cover started leaking. We got her locked down good and tight for now, while I await my delivery from a a certain website that doesn't stock half of their parts. NExt on the list, I am considering, a right handed city bag. Want to see one in person though before I drop $300.

My 2011 T-100 goes in for it's 500 mile service Tuesday. Yesterday we got caught out in the rain and by the time I got home she looked like I'd taken her through a river. Cleaned and polished her back up to proper condition.

259f1dc0.jpg

mrdojs

moped
My first post - and my first Bike. Picked up my 2011 Blacked out T100 on Saturday. I'm having a great time with it! I have no idea about parts or reviews on stock elements - but I might have more in a few weeks...
b220408686.jpg

Last edited:

T100JIP

Scooter
Deck99,
I have 250 miles on my 2011 T100 Bonneville. I did much shopping before purchasing, and decided this model suited us best. I do not think there is a better all-around bike available. We can tour two-up all day with comfort. As a solo mount, with the decidedly British seating position, it's a great sports bike. It's quick, nimble and smooth. People break there necks trying to get a look. If the "Sportster" (using the term loosely) was a lot more like the late Sixties XLCH, I would have considered one of those. But in my opinion, many bikes out there are more of a fashion accessory, or owning one gets you into the club....well you know. This Bonneville is a real motorcycle that does everything pretty damn well. Just my two cents. T100JIP

Ken T140D

moped
I have taken my '08 Bonnie T100 over rough gravel mountain roads in the dry and the wet with no problems. Handles beautifully. Just got to be aware of deep pot holes or rocks as the ground clearance is not as good as a trail bike. Many riders seem to think you have to use trail bikes for these sort of roads. My argument is that our forefathers took their standard road vehicles over terrain that would make most modern riders think twice about it. If they did it, so can we.