Any advice for a Brit. in the Canadian Rockies?

casper

Two Stroke
My good lady and I are flying out to Calgary next month and then heading West eventually across to Vancouver (over 3 weeks). We're stopping off at Bamff and Lake Louise and so on until we get to Vancouver.

I haven't been in Canada since 1984 and never to the West (I was in Ontario - Toronto).

Whats your advice to go and see or do? We both like wilderness and hope to see some of the wildlife etc.

Sadly, I won't be on my trusty Triumph Scrambler :( sob sob. But, we'll be having some time to see the Rockies in what you guys call ''the fall''.

Any advice appreciated.

Casper

Kirkus51

Hooligan
It's a great trip. If you are under time constraints just head out and enjoy Bamff. A long time ago there was a glacier north of Bamff where you could rent ski-doos and have a day. Also as a land lubber from the west I loved taking the ferry ride from Vancouver to Vancouver island, but since you're from the other side of the pond..... you already know about all that "English" stuff on the Island.

talon596

moped
Hi Casper, After Banff try Lake Louise, about 30 min. on trans Canada, then veer off course, south to Radium, south to Kimberley, to Cranbrook, Creston, on to the Okanagon valley (Penticton or Kelowna), then to Hope and Vancouver. I live in Calgary and travel to Vancouver fairly often and, to me anyway, the south route (Crowsnest Pass route, hwy. 3) is much nicer than the Trans-Canada (hwy. 1). Hope you see lots of wildlife, although they always seem to me somewhere I'm not. Have a nice safe trip.

casper

Two Stroke
thanks guys.

We're able to travel independently (hiring a car for the trip), so we won't be able to use the lovely railway.

Glacier on a skidoo , wow that sounds like fun!:motorbike2:

We're going onto a ranch in BC and we're going to go on an organised trek to see some wildlife, but like one of you said, by definition they're willd so you may not see them.

I guess I'll be having withdrawal syndrome from my bike though. I understand the temperature is about 18 degreed centigrade, that time of year.

The scenery is something we're going for as whenever I've seen TV and film of the area it looks breathtaking.

Casper :)

jhillier71

Street Tracker
never rode it but drove it Crowsnest Pass Hwy#3 between Lake Louise and Banff is the way to go. A few blind corners so watch for wildlife!!!

I lived in Lake Louise for a year but never had anymore than $10 in my pocket at any given time. I couldnt tell ya where to go other than the Post Hotel for a fine dining experience. Probably one the best restaurants in the Rockies.

casper

Two Stroke
never rode it but drove it Crowsnest Pass Hwy#3 between Lake Louise and Banff is the way to go. A few blind corners so watch for wildlife!!!

I lived in Lake Louise for a year but never had anymore than $10 in my pocket at any given time. I couldnt tell ya where to go other than the Post Hotel for a fine dining experience. Probably one the best restaurants in the Rockies.

Yeah, thanks for that, Lake Louise is on our itinerary.

The scenery looks totally stunning; I've been to Ontario when I was younger and that was beautiful, but BC seems a bit special.

Casper

jhillier71

Street Tracker
It's b-ute-iful in the Rockies but I'll take Newfoundland any day over the West Coast, but of course I am extremely bias being a Nflder.

KingBear

Hooligan
It's b-ute-iful in the Rockies but I'll take Newfoundland any day over the West Coast, but of course I am extremely bias being a Nflder.
That's where my dream trans-continental ride will start - Cape Spear, Newfoundland! Ferry from Sydney to Argentia, short ride to St. Johns and the official "jumping off point", then a scenic, unhurried ride across the island to Port aux Basques and ferry back to the mainland. I'd then take as much time as I possibly could making my way to Los Cabos at the southern tip of the Baja Peninsula.

Someday, my friends. Someday. :cool:

casper

Two Stroke
Thanks for the advice guys.

I saw one Triumph in all my time in Alberta and BC ! It was a Bonnie (T100) in Stanley Park Vancouver. Seemed to be more cruisers, HDs than any other type of bike.

We had 5'' of snow just outside Jasper and then a few nice sunny days too.

Scenery and wildlife were terrific.

Sadly we toured in a car, but managed to do over 2,000 miles. Great country.

Mountain outside Bamff....

CanadaSeptember2010113.jpg

Waterfall Wells Gray provincial park BC....

CanadaSeptember2010404.jpg

Columbia icefield ''snow buggy'' !

CanadaSeptember2010180.jpg

Did loads of things, lots of trails and walking.

Casper :)

Last edited:

jhillier71

Street Tracker
Casper (per Motley)

Banff not Bamff

Great pics I cant wat to get back there and ski Sunshine & Louise with the family.

casper

Two Stroke
Thanks guys,

by the way, if you EVER go to Vancouver, beware the Grouse Mountain and the Grouse Grind!

My wife and I set out thinking it was a normal trail.

It is an one way stairway to argggghhhhhh.....it is 2,800 feet of keep fit Canadian style.

We did it in a respectable 2 hours 50 minutes but the world record is 24 minutes to ascend this mammoth step trail.

Do it and be proud! :canada:

Notice my Triumph jacket :) which was soon round my waist as I sweated upwards and came down by cable car/gondola.

CanadaSeptember2010571-1-1.jpg

Casper