ANNUAL AVERAGE MILEAGE for Motorcycle

Milo B

Scooter
What's the excepted annual mileage for a motorcycle on average? I know autos are some where around 8,000. Looking at a 2007 Bonnie T100 with 15.800 miles on it. Wonder if that's too much when scouting a used 2 year old bike.

Thanks all,

Milo

strokerlmt

My feelings are that the engine and bits are good for a longgggggg time. Just maintain and care and you are ok........ I put 39k on a bike in college yrs and I treated her like shit......adding oil when low...changing oil...say what ???? filter ??? and the bike just kept going. These beasts are stronger than we think.
LMT

cynr1023

TT Racer
Average for an auto is 12-15k a year, I've got an 07 with 26,000+ and it's still good to go. I've heard that the "galactic average" is around 3000-6000 miles but blew past that pretty quick, of course I didn't own a car either.

For me, whenever I buy a secondhand bike, it's not the outright mileage that's the issue. I like to see evidence that the bike has been looked after - service history, receipts for consumables, check the condition of the bikes fasteners e.t.c and look at the seller. If these things gel, then more often than not I'll buy the bike.

Cheers,

Pikey.

chopz

moped
t100 miles

at those miles the bike is only just run in-my 02 got better and better up to28 thou kms then evened out- iv now done 60 thou and they have been hard ks and alls well-cheers chopz.:eek:

Milo B

Scooter
Thanks all. Pikey, I agree. Service records will be viewed as well as condition of rider and overall bike. Just don't have enough experience with these to know if the miles were too much. From this board I think it's about right. Waiting on word from the owner on some questions. I will let you all know what comes back.

Best,

Milo

Bonafide

NBR founder
avg mileage on a car is well over 8k a year - unless you live only a couple miles from work, I suppose. I rarely drive my Truck .. like maybe one day a week ... sometimes less, and I manage 8-10k a year on it. I have a 'company car' that gets driven 4 days a week - idle hours are crazy in it - looks like it'll be 12-1500hrs for this year.

My bikes get about 4-7k a year ... but I have a several bikes to choose from ...

Milo B

Scooter
Yeah, thanks Bonafide.... My 8k auto estimate was based on living in Los Angeles and close to work. I rarely drive more than 10k a year unless even with a bit of long distance jaunts. 'm sure my auto will see much less road time once I find the perfect Bonnie.

Milo

Texas94fs

Hooligan
I've put 10,000 miles on my bike this year so far, and riding season is really just returning to us here in texas, depends on the rider.

maintenance history is probably more important

I put 26,000 miles on my bike this year - but I'm probably on the high side of average...

Mileage isn't a fool proof yard stick. I really stick to the maintenance schedule and use the best stuff (oil, filters, etc...) availabe. She runs and rides better now than she did with 26 miles on her. At this point, I wouldn't trade my bike for a brand new Scrambler + $500.

IMG_0802.jpg

Uesque

Scooter
I put about 5-6K on the HD a year, and that's mostly commuting. I don't get much time for long rides.