Ankle Fusion Surgery

wobblygong

Street Tracker
Hi guys,
Been a while since I posted but my life has been fully occupied fighting metastasised prostate cancer which has found its way into various bones throughout my body and a few lymph nodes. Fuck all that I said, so I set about living a little. Bought myself a 2000 BMW R1100RT with low kms a did a bit of touring around southern Australia and Tasmania. Went on a cruise to New Zealand and recently had a look at Singapore & Thailand. We call them SKIN holidays...Spending the Kids Inheritance Now!

What did become more noticeable over the past 12 months is the inability of my left ankle to support me. Severe osteo-arthritis in the main ankle joint had set in and would not respond to all the recognised medications including cortisone injections. Only 2 choices left open to me..both involving surgery. One, an ankle joint replacement and two, ankle fusion. With a success rate of 10% with choice No.1, door No.2 was a no-brainer.

That's where I'm at right now. 6 days out from the operation and I'm resting up with my left ankle wrapped up like a Xmas turkey and sitting out the next 2 to 3 months and hobbling 'round on crutches.

Which brings me to this question: Does anybody have any direct or indirect contact with an individual who has undergone ankle fusion surgery and if so, following said surgery, were he/she able to carry out near normal function?
My main concern, naturally, this being a motorcycle forum, is can I expect to be able to operate the gear of a motorcycle?

Cheers all,
Very, very, Wobbly

Motley

750cc
Sorry mate, I can't help with the ankle thing. I just wanted to commiserate with you. It seems like you've been in the wars, but as you said..."fuck all that".

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Goddammit, I've been fixing up an old Suzuki for you to ride when you come back.

Rod, forgive my ignorance but you won't have the ability to lift up with your toe?

Certainly there are standard foot controls which are heel operated, seen some on Harleys with floorboards.

056.jpg

Barring that, it would be very simple to make an electric servo with 12V control and a button on the handlebar. Push a button and the servo shifts the bike.

Last edited:

wobblygong

Street Tracker
Thanks Motley, I push on.

Sal, Firstly... Happy Birthday Man. Your Skype profile says it's your birthday May 3. If that's correct, have a great day. Haven't dismissed all hope of a return visit to Hudson Valley by the way.

As for the gear change lever, I'm sure either of your suggestions would work. I'll make it work. Thanks man.
Wobbly

T-boy

Rocker
wobbly...first off, best of luck to you. I think you're going about this with a terrific attitude. I have a co-worker that underwent ankle fusion surgery. Although it bothers him from time to time and the ankle doesn't have the flexibility it once had, he hasn't let it stop him from doing everything he did before the surgery. He does not, however, ride a motorcycle. Again, best wishes.

Texas94fs

Hooligan
Sorry to read this Wobb. Glad you got your ass out there and did some fun stuff recently. You could get something rigged up electrically as Sal mentioned, but you could also find an older right side shift bike, it'd be a bit more maintenance on an older rig, but then the rear brake would be on the left side. I believe the late 70's t140s were still left side shift, they also require a good bit less maintenance than say the early 70's or late 60's bikes.

Hi Wobbly. Good to see you back and good luck.

My stepmother had this surgery as a young person when she was injured in a skiing accident, so I have pretty intimate experience with this.

She had the surgery roughly 30 years ago, and I imagine the techniques have improved since then.

That being said, she walks fine, albeit with a slight limp because her ankle doesn't articulate. It really doesn't slow her down much and I feel like you'll be able to ride with a bit of time to get used to the new movements necessary for shifting.

Good luck, again! You're a real trooper.

I rode with a guy years ago who had his left leg amputated above the knee. His prosthesis did not articulate at the ankle. He had a pretty severe limp when he walked. We rode dirt bikes and it didn't slow him down. He adjusted the shift lever so he could get his boot in position to lift his leg to upshift and down shift. The guy was a terror in the dirt. If you are willing to adjust to the limitations, you'll still be able to ride.

Best wishes with your medical condition(s).

wobblygong

Street Tracker
I want to thank all who responded. Your feedback is very encouraging and has given me food for thought.

I'm sitting here in my courtyard soaking up the Aussie autumn sun with the bike only 20 feet away and I can't fucken' ride it. Bugger!!
I'm looking at the shift lever on the Beemer and it's going to present some problems. No.1, it's a BMW shift, notoriously stiff and clunky. No.2, it consists of just a knurled bar protruding out of the fairing. No.3, the side fairing hides the gearbox and shift levers.

Nevertheless, I WILL work out something.

God forbid, I may have to look at a Suzuki Burgman, a Honda Silverwing or a Yamaha TMAX, all automatics. After a couple of months of this shit, I'll do anything to get back on two wheels.

strokerlmt

Wobbly.....good to see you on the site again. Sorry about the ankle my friend. Heal fast, no pun....sorry;-)))) 3 months that must be torture for you. You should post the pics from Tas they were great. Have some news for you will pass on through email.
Best to you and Clare......
LMT

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Rod.. get a new scooter....enjoy shopping around for a few weeks . When you are all better you can give it to the wife.

Seriously, once the foot heals a bit, wrap that mofo up in a protective boot of some type, get on that butt-ugly Burghman Scooter that can go 90 mph and ride man! Fuck shifting, it don't matter. Steering matters, braking matters.. shifting doesn't matter..

Last edited:

wobblygong

Street Tracker
Lach, the surgery was necessary I'm afraid. Could not walk more than 50 metres without ending up in severe pain and even that was walking with the aid of a walking stick.
I'll be waiting to hear your news. Can't do much else ATM. Confined to the bedroom unfortunately. Cabin fever setting in already.

Sal, Scooters, and we're talking Maxi Scooters here, have you seen some of them suckers. A guy on a Suzuki Burgman followed me round some tight "twisties" in Tasmania and I couldn't shake him. Different matter on the straights..bye! They seem to handle OK.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Rod, I see them around here. There are usually a few parked outside my office at the park HQ. Fugly, but they go like hell. One passed me on Route 84 last summer, he had to be doing 90 mph ( 150kmh) . They are ugly but its just as fun to ride the ugly ones as long as your friends don't see. So I hear. :)

Seriously, why waste time? Go get one and write us a review.

I sat on all the BMW's at the international motorcycle show and I was shocked at how heavy they are. God forbid it tips over on your bad side!