America or not?

Kevan

moped
I'm looking to buy a 2001 - 2006 Bonnie and notice that Americas are going a bit cheaper overall. When I look at the specs I see the America is tuned with less horse power. As it's the same engine how have they been de tuned and can it be altered? I'm not a mechanic but I like to tinker.

qwenzel

Two Stroke
You realize that the America is a cruiser. The motors are 270 degree firing sequence, where the Bonneville's are 360 degree firing sequence.

rbirkey

NBRAdmin
Staff member
Qwenzel is right. In addition, the 270 degree engines used in the America are the same starting place that the Triumph Bonneville Performance AMA Pro Flat Track team uses on their factory race bikes... so yes those engines have a lot of potential (100+ HP and 76+ ft. lbs of torque)... only limited by time and money! There are a handful of things that a tinkerer can do to improve the factory performance: open up the air intake, open up the exhaust, remove pollution control, upgrade suspension, etc. These are all fairly simple bolt on mods that a handy person can accomplish.

capt

moped
If you go for 2008 and newer, they are fuel injected, so just plug in your computer and download a new map, no spanners required to boost performance , no jets to change ... !

Kevan

moped
Well I finally found a 2005 Bonneville and am now somewhat confused as to what model I have? I had it delivered as it came from 177 miles away according to Auto Trader. It was late and going dark when it arrived but it does look as good as the pics and sounds good. I didn't really check the details on the log book when I filled it out and am still waiting for it to be sent back from DVLA so I can't check yet but it was advertised as a carb model 865. I now notice the green slip says it is a 790? Were the 865's all T100's as it just says Bonneville on the side panels? Also, do the carb models have Air Intake systems as this one does?

Any help is appreciated.

I'm not complaining by the way as it is mint, low mileage and was a good price whatever it is.