Aluminum Wheel Polishing

When I bought my used '11 SE I noticed spots on the wheels but thought they'd polish out with a liquid polish. Have tried Nevr Dull, Boms Away, 2 other liquids, and Mothers Alloy wheel polish. None have worked. Am considering the small Eastwood kit that has 3 different polishing bars and several buffing wheels. Don't know if this is acid rain, hard water, or nuclear waste. Some spotting on the engine cooling fins and engine covers.
Any product recommendations or methods to remove this would be appreciated.
Am attaching a link to photobucket for pictures.
http://s1122.photobucket.com/albums...Wheels/?action=view&current=WheelsCovers1.jpg

Motley

750cc
I would imagine those spots are in, or under, the clearcoat. I doubt any polishes you try will remove them, unless you strip the clearcoat first.

Having said that...I swear by Solvol Autosol for polishing metals.

Wheelhorse

Scooter
When I bought my used '11 SE I noticed spots on the wheels but thought they'd polish out with a liquid polish. Have tried Nevr Dull, Boms Away, 2 other liquids, and Mothers Alloy wheel polish. None have worked. Am considering the small Eastwood kit that has 3 different polishing bars and several buffing wheels. Don't know if this is acid rain, hard water, or nuclear waste. Some spotting on the engine cooling fins and engine covers.
Any product recommendations or methods to remove this would be appreciated.
Am attaching a link to photobucket for pictures.
http://s1122.photobucket.com/albums...Wheels/?action=view&current=WheelsCovers1.jpg

Maybe try vinegar in a small spot to see if it removes the hard water spots. I've never tried this and cannot vow that it works, but just a suggestion. Use at your own risk.

Afterwards be sure to neutralize with a baking soda mix.

http://www.mydailydriver.com/driveway/swirl-marks

Recommended on aluminum by the link above.

Yeah that's oxidation of the aluminum but it's under the clearcoat, as Motley said.

The only way to remove it is to strip the clearcoat with a bead blaster, chemicals, or sanding, then repolish or brush the aluminum and re clear coat. You could leave it uncleared, but it would require hitting it with Nev-R-Dull once every 6 months or so.

Experience: Restored '73 CB450, refinished Bonneville motor covers, polished rims.

I have the same issues with the engine covers on the Scrambler,oxidation got under the clear coat that triumph puts on over the aluminum.

It's a common problem. Clearcoated aluminum is really only good for about 8-10 years, maximum.

I just polished a copper and bronze antique fire extinguisher and as I was lacquering it I was regrettably thinking about this thread and how it was going to look like shit in 10 years.

Oh well.

Guru.cc

moped
Hey guys, I'm new here..

I have the same problem with my '11 se - only 8 months old. Unfortunately it seems they are not very well protected from the weather so I had to buy an expensive cover as my old one was leaking. According to my old man who restores cars and is a mechanical engineer, if you don't get those spots out they will continue to pit and get worse over time- use a metal polish and lots of elbow grease - most importantly though, keep those shiny rims dry!

Slightly disappointed that the clear coat wasn't more effective though!

Ben

Seems my Bonne is not the only one with finish issues on the wheels and engine covers and fins. Wonder if it's a flaw in the way the parts are clearcoated?

Wheelhorse

Scooter
I have a 2010 SE and my covers are not clear coated. When I polish, the rag goes black and the aluminum brightens.

I do believe my rims are clear coated.

If you want to remove the clearcoat, Permatex -- Mr. Gasket remover works wonders.

I find that I can keep engine covers cleaner if they are bare and not clear coated.

KC1961

moped
no laquer

I got a new SE about five weeks ago and there is no laquer on the rims or the engine casings.

Guru.cc

moped
I'm starting to wonder if mine do either - just before I had this bike I sold a Yamaha R6 which I owned for 3 years - that one sat out in the rain and weather 24/7 and not a spot of rust or a blemish that couldn't be polished out after some rain.

The bonneville though, as mentioned brand new out of the showroom and covered the whole time has pits in the rims and rust around the spark plug on the RHS where water sits after rain and doesn't run off - (bad design flaw IMO) and it was only uncovered in weather for about a week before getting my new cover! Argh!!

Still love her - really was expecting a higher quality finish from a Triumph than the Yamaha though.. :eeek:

Rim Clearcoat

While trying to determine the best way to restore the rims I called Triumph USA. They couldn't offer any advise on polishing the rims, but stated they were clear coated.

rodhotter

Scooter
uncoated alum as my 70 bonnies takes monthly polishing for hrs, quality of alum matters also, i could not believe how easy it was to keep the chrome like billet 6061 alum wheels shiny