Aluminum Fenders

fender

Street Tracker
I've been looking for a while for replacement fenders. I wanted to go with polished aluminum. I've looked at the MAS Engineering but didn't care for the price and I couldn't find an option for a long front one.

In my search I found a source and he turned out to be local 7 Metal West. After I called and chatted with Dan (it's a one man shop) I met him and he showed me his work I ordered up a set. The front is easy pick your width diameter and features. For the rear he didn't have the width that I was looking for but he did have a prototype in the width I was looking for 6" So I ordered them up for not much more than the cost of the MAS Engineering rear fender alone.

The front is 5" wide and a 27.5" diameter which should let it sit about 3/4" above the tire. Stock sits at about 1 1/4" above the tire.

The rear is 6" wide with a unknown diameter but it's close to the curvature of the stock rear.

5910316651_300a9cd494_z.jpg

5910874404_7fe5621717_z.jpg

I've begun test fitting the rear and will need to see where I will cut the fender and play with mounting to adjust the angle of how it mounts but I'm getting close.

A few mock up pics of the rear:
5910921508_14cd03dd64_z.jpg

5910364115_b78a8499d2_z.jpg

5910922118_68b6cf9bc4_z.jpg

Last edited:

fender

Street Tracker
Time to update and resurrect this project. It's been on hold way to long, family and work have put it on hold. But progress will be resuming shortly on it. Along with the polished aluminum fenders I had a spare tank that was getting painted by a friend of mine.

There is finish work to be done but here is were is stands.

7198997154_40297c869f_c.jpg

Hopefully more progress soon on the fenders.

fender

Street Tracker
Just got my tank back and it really looks good. Can't wait to get it mounted up.

7258978310_8e88f636ef_c.jpg

7258967490_a7f86d7464_z.jpg

Didn't realize that in order to install the Pingel fuel petcock that I would need to enlarge the opening on the tank. Would have rather done that before painting but I just need to be more careful now.

I'm hoping to have some time this weekend to work on the fenders and figuring out how to mount them up.

More to come...

fender

Street Tracker
Yeah the 7 Metal West fenders are good stuff, I used the ribbed, ducktailed fenders here: http://newbonnevilleriders.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7926&page=3

He's local to where I'm live, so I met him at his shop. Great guy to work with. Making fenders and metal fabrication is truly a labor of love for him. I enjoyed following your build, it gave me some ideas on how to mount the rear fender.

I'll be mounting the rear similar to how you have it setup. Four posts from under the Bonneville seat pan to the fender. The front won't be as easy but I have some ideas.

fender

Street Tracker
This project is progressing although much slower than I want. Have the weekend to work on this. When test fitting the rear fender the stock air box was getting in the way.

Out comes the motorcycle stand and hack off the rest of the air box leaving just enough to mount the electronics and brake reservoir.

7860668918_2df15fa6b3_c.jpg

Just used a sawzall blade by hand. The plastic is soft and easy to cut.

7860648224_395fe00caf_c.jpg

Finished hack job...

7860647732_b7fe2509b0_c.jpg

7860646986_a844eb05a8_c.jpg

Airbox back on bike, might look into smaller side covers now that all the plastic is gone. Would just need to re-route some wiring and paint the rear brake hardware.

7860648772_fa7e75c8bf_c.jpg

7860647408_b55c894319_c.jpg

The rear fender sits much better than before. Will be tweaking it a bit to see if I can get it to better contour the rear tire. But it's 1/8" thick aluminum so it'll be tough to bend.

7860646496_c7bcebd0a4_c.jpg

Hopefully I can get the fenders all trimmed up and mounted on Sunday. Looks like great weather for riding next week.

Texas94fs

Hooligan
Looks good. I keep lookin at those pipes and wonder what they'd look like on my thruxton. . . But I reckon I will have to get another bike to go with those pipes!

2Monkeys

Street Tracker
Looks really good. I would want rounded corners on the fenders, but the sharp corners sure do make a statement! Very nice job, the tank really pops, makes the bike. Cheers

fender

Street Tracker
Thanks all for the comments,

Rounded corners are being cut today. Needed to figure out where to cut to length first. If I left the square end that could be a new version of the pedestrian slicer.

fender

Street Tracker
Finished up mounting and polishing the rear fender. Changing the radius of the fender was a pain but well worth it. Lowbrow Customs had a nice tutorial on how to do it.

The front is cut and trimmed, need to polish and make the fork fender support and paint the fender stays black.
7958498934_992b97d777_c.jpg

7958500320_5ba7b39d1c_c.jpg

strokerlmt

Very nice job.....personally because of the way you did the rear fender I think the front fender is to long. But....ya bike looks great....
LMT

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
The bike looks really good; I would definitely throw a pair of knee pads on the tank though if it was mine.

fender

Street Tracker
Very nice job.....personally because of the way you did the rear fender I think the front fender is to long. But....ya bike looks great....
LMT

I've been debating a shorter front fender. The more I look at it I think your right and a shorter one is in order. Maybe something like this one, and I can keep the front stays. Time to do a little Photoshop editing to get a feel for the correct length.

Triumph%20Thruxton%20caferacer%20037.jpg

The bike looks really good; I would definitely throw a pair of knee pads on the tank though if it was mine.

I've got a set, just need to get them mounted.

JimmyR

Street Tracker
FWIW here is my bike with an MAS front fender powdercoated black and an aluminium fender from an Aussie supplier on the rear. It has a bit more on the sides than the MAS fenders.

bajk0001copy.jpg

bajk0005copy.jpg

fender

Street Tracker
Yes, I was going through the garage the other weekend and there are a number of things I'm looking to clean out. Amazing how much stuff accumulates over time with different iterations of a bike.