almost warm enough

drlapo

Hooligan
this is nuts!
beginning of May and it's 58 degrees with a light rain
Bennington is in 3 weeks
I'll leave the liner in my jacket this year

This time last week we were in the mid 80s and sunny. Today, we're rain at times and high near 60.

It was nice yesterday though, sunny and 60 degrees. I took the bike and went and met up with some of the guys.

F637552B-C4DD-466F-BD36-7270C4BCCF3B_zps1nwqhtzb.jpg

7374DD61-7006-4756-83F3-A6C2EF49C34A_zpsooruktp5.jpg

Last edited:

Roger

Street Tracker
this is nuts!
beginning of May and it's 58 degrees with a light rain
Bennington is in 3 weeks
I'll leave the liner in my jacket this year

My bet is on, that in 2 weeks time, your weather will be a lot better. Spring is here. It's just coming in fits and starts.

It was nice yesterday though, sunny and 60 degrees. I took the bike and went and met up with some of the guys.

Nice string of bikes there. :)

It's 41F, 4C here now and it's going up to 58F, 15C today. The sun is helping too. I'm heading out for a ride in about 10 mins. here. Gonna enjoy that.

drlapo

Hooligan
50 degrees and raining again! but it will approach 70 tomorrow
then comes the bugs and humidity
at least I won't have to ride up to Bennington in the snow

Kirkus51

Hooligan
arrrgh! It's been snowing lightly all day. The temp is hovering around freezing and this weather is expected to be around for another day or so. Might be the biggest one this season, but I doubt it.

drlapo

Hooligan
REDEMPTION!
70 and sunny all day yesterday; rode 150 miles
rain for the next three days but I'm rejuvinated

Yesterday: was sunny and in the mid 80s here in the Puget Sound region. I had picked the bike up from the dealer after having it's 24,000 mile service done. I got 3 miles from my house and heard a 'pop' come from the top end of the motor, felt a considerable loss of power, cut the motor and immediately pulled over to the side of the road. I called the dealer who then sent someone to retrieve my bike and give me a lift home. Because shims needed to be swapped, I'm wondering if one of the cams came loose and spit a shim. But I won't know until the dealer gets into the top end and evaluates the damage.

Today: It's going to be partly sunny with highs in the mid 80s again and I'm waiting for the dealer to open to discuss what needs to happen and how quickly it needs to happen. So no riding for me today.

The dealer has 4 weeks to get this right before I'm suppose to take off on a trip to Missoula.

Here I am sitting on the side of the road waiting for the dealer to come retrieve my bike.

5AA2A512-8E22-4FD8-8AF0-18278F760CD1_zps1vfeljrs.jpg

drlapo

Hooligan
I hope the dealer didn't leave the cam locking pin in after he replaced the cams
but that probably would have "popped" immediatly
spitting a shim is not easy on these motors

Update: Spoke to the service department, it turns out my intake cam sheared in half. Less than 23,000 miles on the bike and an intake cam broke in half. He said it looks like it's been cracked for a while and for what ever reason the last 15% broke after they serviced the bike and he's not sure why. They've got a new cam and gaskets on order and it'll be Wednesday before they see any parts. As for liability, the impression I get is they're going to try to hold me liable for it. Thing is, they're the only ones that have EVER been in side that motor so if there's fault to be had it's on them. We'll get the bike running first and fight the bill later if there's a fight to be had.

I'm on my way there now to inspect and take photo's of the damage.

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
Update: Spoke to the service department, it turns out my intake cam sheared in half. Less than 23,000 miles on the bike and an intake cam broke in half. He said it looks like it's been cracked for a while and for what ever reason the last 15% broke after they serviced the bike and he's not sure why. They've got a new cam and gaskets on order and it'll be Wednesday before they see any parts. As for liability, the impression I get is they're going to try to hold me liable for it. Thing is, they're the only ones that have EVER been in side that motor so if there's fault to be had it's on them. We'll get the bike running first and fight the bill later if there's a fight to be had.

I'm on my way there now to inspect and take photo's of the damage.

I realize that there is always two sides to a story and all that but I smell bullshit on this one. These cams simply don't crack in half and besides, they never gave it a thorough once over seeing that this is the only shop that has broken into your motor??? They didn't notice this on the servicing they just performed??? This just so happened a few miles from their bay door after they got done wrenching on your bike??? Bullshit! They left a pin in the cam and/or they didn't seat the cam holders evenly when tightening down. Those are my first two immediate thoughts when reading what you have posted. BOTH manuals go into extra detail about the importance of bringing down the cam holders together and in an even manner...if not then you can create an angle on the shaft itself which could very well lead to a crack. Read through your Haynes and you will see what I am talking about. This is the exact reason why my garage once I get back stateside will be used to help buddies I ride with. These nightmare shop stories never seem to end! I'm sorry this happened to you and hope you can get the bike sorted and THEY take responsibility for this.

Edit:

I was giving this a think-over as I was pouring a cup of coffee for myself and forgot to mention another important aspect: pay VERY close attention to the cam holders when they show you this. Scrutinize both the top AND lower halves of the holders and if they show you the cam shaft out of the holder...then tell them you want to see it in its holder because you want to see how it seats. If that fucker sheared then it is likely the holders took on some damage and if that is the case, then you are talking about a top end replacement.

Last edited:

Roger

Street Tracker
my intake cam sheared in half.

Never heard of that one before on a street engine. That would have to be one seriously flawed part. You would think there are controls in place at the factory when manufacturing a cam shaft.

I'm real curious to see any pictures you can get.

Never heard of that one before on a street engine. That would have to be one seriously flawed part. You would think there are controls in place at the factory when manufacturing a cam shaft.

I'm real curious to see any pictures you can get.

Here's a photo of the broken cam shaft:

022613A0-5209-4115-B7E6-2869AFC2E9C8_zpszsg9pvwt.jpg

As Matt stated...

Per the manual:

"Caution: A camshaft could break if the holder bolts are not slackened as described and the pressure from a depressed valve causes the shaft to bend. Also, if the holder does not come squarely away from the head, the holder is likely to break. If this happens the cylinder head must be replaced with a new one; the holders are matched to the head and cannot be obtained separately."

Anyway... Sorry to take this thread off topic. How warm was it where you are today? :D

drlapo

Hooligan
you might want to have that looked at
I mean the cam: a metalurgical lab can tell you if it was defective

TC_Dick

TT Racer
So I was planning to take my bike in for the 18k service next week. Did you take yours up north or over to the eastside for the service?