All the Gear All the Time

Beaman

Two Stroke
No shit - I crashed two days ago in similar circumstances going a bit slower. I slid and bounced, too. Serious helmet, armored leather, saved me from a whole lot of worse stuff just like you. Glad you are doing alright!

D9

Vendor
Damn! Glad both of you are mostly OK... sober reminders, both. Wear the gear... never leave home without it.

Thank you for all the well wishes and concern. Here's an update 2 days later. I'm feeling okay. I'm still a little sore but very happy to be alive. The scrapes still hurt, but to be honest, the tattoo hurt more. For those of you who asked, here's the gear I was wearing:

Boots - Setup (purchased on clearance at New Enough), they seem to have a hole in the left big toe but my feet are fine
Pants - Tourmaster Venture, I got the gray ones to try to keep from melting in the sun. They seem to be fine and I don't have any marks on my legs, just black & blue
Jacket - Motoboss, it was the lightest, cheapest, meshiest jacket they had at Cycle Gear with CE armor in it. I knew it was a tradeoff between safety and comfort in the heat and all things considered, it held up pretty well. The armor is intact and it looks like it ripped on a seam and that's what gave me the road rash.
Helmet - HJC CL15, in my opinion it's the best helmet for your dollar (DOT and Snell approved). It's beat up pretty good, certainly a one-time-use item. But no neck or head injuries at all (and the ER docs tried, really, really hard to find anything wrong with me).

jfenton

Scooter
Fellow Arizona rider here, I also ate crap in full gear, saved my ass. Quality gear is worth the cost, I have not problem spending money on that stuff. High sided going 50mph, only broken wrist and small amount of rash.