Akita - Shmakita...it's on!!

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
I am heading into quite possibly the last three day weekend before the motorcycle season gets shut down for us here at good ol' Misawa. The soul crushing ball and chain that I got shotgun married to suggested that I make one more run before the door gets shut on my face for 2012. It's a hard-knock life...

So I took Broom Hilda up on her offer and I am making a 1,000 mile run! :headbang2: I will be heading straight across to the Sea of Japan this time but skipping out of the two peninsulas...straight to the coast and then run that coastline down all the way through Aomori prefecture and then almost completely through Akita prefecture and loop around the Oga peninsula before heading inland and riding through the mountain ranges, back into Aomori and through Towada.

http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/location/regional/akita/ogahantou.html

As always, I will be sharing this little mini-adventure when I return after the run. Be sure to stay in tune as the ball and chain also bought me a GoPro as a present so the videos are going to be a hell of a lot better for everyone!:headbang2:

There is too much awesomeness out there to get done before we grow too old...http://s759.photobucket.com/albums/xx235/lespaul85paf/?action=view&current=BeforeIgetold_0003-1.mp4

Motley

750cc
She lets you out for a 1000 mile run and buys you a GoPro but you call her a "soul crushing ball and chain". She seems like a darlin' to me.

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
She lets you out for a 1000 mile run and buys you a GoPro but you call her a "soul crushing ball and chain". She seems like a darlin' to me.

I was being ironical and anyone that has read any of my other posts on my rides knows that my wife rules and my world revolves around her.

Kframe

Street Tracker
Man I bet the scenery is amazing around there!
(probably nothing like the Great Plains, lol!)
Looking forward to see some of those vids once you're back!
:)
-K

strokerlmt

Have a safe trip and yaaa we know how you feel about the family.....my ball and chain is my rock star as well. I would be completely lost without her and the girls. I get my pass next weekend for a camp out at The Pinnacles.
Ride safeeeeeeee
LMT

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
Man I bet the scenery is amazing around there!
(probably nothing like the Great Plains, lol!)
Looking forward to see some of those vids once you're back!
-K

Japan is a beautiful country...no doubt about that. Hokkaido is some of the most beautiful countryside that I have ever ridden in my life. With that said though, I am still looking forward to rolling through the Great Plains and plan on making a special trip to the badlands when my retirement present to myself from the service is going to be throwing a leg over my Trumpet and making a complete circle around the good ol' USofA. I think that will be the mother of all rides.

Have a safe trip and yaaa we know how you feel about the family.....my ball and chain is my rock star as well. I would be completely lost without her and the girls. I get my pass next weekend for a camp out at The Pinnacles.
Ride safeeeeeeee
LMT

Thanks LMT and I'm looking forward to seeing your ride next week at The Pinnacles! Sounds like you are in the same boat as me having a miserable life, being married to tyrant women!;)

Kirkus51

Hooligan
Man it's cold in the Mile Hi. Might be a skiff of snow on the ground thru the weekend. But.... it might be a bit warmer next week. I might venture out for a while.

Kframe

Street Tracker
... I am still looking forward to rolling through the Great Plains and plan on making a special trip to the badlands when my retirement present to myself from the service is going to be throwing a leg over my Trumpet and making a complete circle around the good ol' USofA. I think that will be the mother of all rides.

That's on my 'bucket list' (oh how I loath that phrase) too. Another one is starting out around Seattle or thereabouts and heading up the Al-Can highway all the way up to Fairbanks. I have no idea how many miles or how long that'd take, but man, it'd be epic!

A few years ago some guys and I started in Minneapolis, MN and went down along the MN/WI border then down into Iowa, through Illinois, across Indiana, into central Ohio for Vintage Motorcycle Days, then straight up into Michigan, up through the U.P. into Canada then over the top of Lake Superior then down into Minneapolis again.
That was a frickin' awesome trip, about 2500 miles over 6-7 days.
Really wet my appetite for those long adventures.

-K

motomaniac

Street Tracker
Oga Penninsula is a great place! Almost no one goes there and there are loads of small, rocky beaches with clean, clear water. I've camped up there a few times. People are really nice. You should have great weather for it as well.
Traffic was a mess on the expressway this morning....so most of the idiots are heading that way at about 50mph, all of them in the high speed lane, all of them at least 70 years old driving Priuses. Hope you can avoid them.

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
That's on my 'bucket list' (oh how I loath that phrase) too. Another one is starting out around Seattle or thereabouts and heading up the Al-Can highway all the way up to Fairbanks. I have no idea how many miles or how long that'd take, but man, it'd be epic!

I have a buddy of mine that did that run but was on an adventure type bike. The first item of business if you do it on a Bonnie would be to rig something up so that you can carry gas. There is a stretch on that run where the space between gas stations FAR exceeds the length limits on our rides. If I remember correctly, I think you would be looking at a 3-4 day run each way and weather is a factor. I just got back from Fairbanks last month and there were bikes galore all over the place and that would be a beautiful ride.

A few years ago some guys and I started in Minneapolis, MN and went down along the MN/WI border then down into Iowa, through Illinois, across Indiana, into central Ohio for Vintage Motorcycle Days, then straight up into Michigan, up through the U.P. into Canada then over the top of Lake Superior then down into Minneapolis again.
That was a frickin' awesome trip, about 2500 miles over 6-7 days.
Really wet my appetite for those long adventures.

-K

I got the bug on long adventures back when I was in England and now it seems to be an addiction that I must frequently feed. I have been overseas for 20 years now so I am looking forward to returning to the states and do some wide open riding. I am giving STRONG consideration on trying to do that Iron Butt thing on a Bonnie...to my knowledge that hasn't been pulled off on a Bonnie and I am pretty confident that I can do it. I have been putting some very respectable miles down over the past few years on nothing but two lane country roads that are predominant in countries like GB and Japan so I think I would eat it up if I could get on an open stretch and actually just run the snot out of the bike for the whole day.

Oga Penninsula is a great place! Almost no one goes there and there are loads of small, rocky beaches with clean, clear water. I've camped up there a few times. People are really nice. You should have great weather for it as well.
Traffic was a mess on the expressway this morning....so most of the idiots are heading that way at about 50mph, all of them in the high speed lane, all of them at least 70 years old driving Priuses. Hope you can avoid them.

I never take the expressway unless I am in the car with the family. I make good time on the bike and the country side is FAR prettier on the country roads plus I don't have to pay a $75 toll for two hours on a fucking toll road! This run was to go straight across Aomori prefecture, 8 to the 4 to the 7 and then the 101. Then take the 101 from the top of the sea of Japan and run it all the way through Aomori prefecture and 3/4 of Akita prefecture. No toll roads for this stubborn fucker!

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
Shmakita 1 - Tang 0

Well I guess Akita does not care to be referred as Shmakita because that ornery bitch just got done beating my ass!:hurt: That is kind of a long story which I plan on telling but I have some videos uploading right now so I will save it. Let me start by showing how I prepped up for this trip. There might be a few of you out there that never took a few day trip before or just curious on what you do with your bike. Well...I snapped off some pictures and decided to throw my two cents in for this part of the journey. The first two thoughts in my mind when packing my bike are space and function. There is an art to cutting out the bullshit and leaving stuff behind that you don't need. I am by no means perfect at this but I do try to put thought into it. So here is the method to my madness for a 2-3 day trip:

This is Bonnie ready to go. I could easily do a 5 day trip with how she sits just like this. A tank bag, a luggage rack back and my tent bungee'd on the back seat. The weight stays along her backbone so that you can still have some fun in the twisties.

IMG_0011.jpg

I have the Triumph tank bag that I bought incredibly cheap thanks to the forum and I love this bag!:cheer: This pic here is the top lid part that unzips and has a mesh pocket. In that mesh are 6 buffs (I am an avid fan of the 3/4 helmet even when it rains) and a box of high protein bars. I like the protein bars because it is a good balance of carbs and proteins and I can eat them as I am riding. I don't like eating big meals unless the ride is over for the day.

IMG_0001.jpg

Here is the main part of the bag - two foldout maps of Aomori and Akita prefectures (the type of GPS that never runs out of power), spare gloves, a fleece buff, dark shade googles (I have aviator's that are made to be worn over eyeglasses so I bought two...one with yellow lenses and one with sunglass lenses) and my GoPro and regular camera.

IMG_0002.jpg

Here is my Kurykyan luggage rack bag that has been over Europe and Japan now...I love this bag. The tent is a small hiker's tent and as you can see, takes up hardly any room but I sleep in it without problems.

IMG_0003.jpg

The bag unzips and the top portions that folds over has a deep mesh pocket. Inside that I have a fleece sweetshirt (thin but very warm), my plastic bag shaving kit, one pair of underwear and 3 pair of socks. I don't care if I stink but I always go +1 day with my socks. For example, 2 day trip = 3 pairs of socks. I don't care if I stink but I want my feet warm and dry.

IMG_0005.jpg

The main part of the bag has my flannel pillow, sleeping bag, mini coffee thermos, kinetic flashlight, and full rain suit.

IMG_0004.jpg

The center pocket of this bag houses my ram mount attachment, swiss army knife, pen, flash light, camera tripod, + & - screwdrivers, and an adjustable wrench

IMG_0006.jpg

The right side pocket houses my auxiliary socket adapter (if you plan on Bonnie touring then drop the $40 and get the auxiliary socket), plug in, chargers for my cell phone, GoPro, and camera. I leave space for this pocket so that I run whatever I am charging back to this pocket and zip it closed - that way my item charges as I am riding down the road.

IMG_0007.jpg

The left side pocket has a set of open wrenches, a 3/8 ratchet set kept in plastic baggie, tire gauge, 2 former tshirts that are rags now, and 4 bungee cords (that doesn't include the three strapping the tent down...use more bungee cords for the tent if you feel 7 is not enough to have)

IMG_0008.jpg

Zip ties in the outer mesh pockets. Now listen carefully...Motorcycle Gods are mischievous and trouble making type of Gods. THEY WILL fuck with you if you do not bring zip ties with you on a trip!

IMG_0009.jpg

And now the journey begins....at least I thought it did...

IMG_0010.jpg

Kframe

Street Tracker
Thanks for the pix, I like to see how different folks store their kit on the Bonnie's.
You really can haul a lot of stuff if you're smart about it, and it looks like you are!
-K

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
So here is the scoop folks on the attempted adventure:

I set off at 0600 and everything was going to plan. Bonnie was galloping along and catching her stride in the cool morning air. The day was starting over really overcast but I didn't give it much mind as the weather report said that there would be a 20% chance of sprinkles throughout the day. I can live with 20% for these rides...hell...God invented rain gear for 20% chance and I had it tucked away in my bag!

The traffic really was bad as I headed through Aomori city which was a big surprise as normally early morning traveling almost always result in th eability to make good time because of the lack of traffic. But still...Bonnie and I were definitely catching our stride despite the fact the skies were attempting to go from grey to black...what the fuck:huh:

I finally get to the first city on my list that is right on the Sea of Japan and below the Tsugaru peninsula. I pull into a convenient store because this shit started happening...

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

What the fuck is going on?! My wife and I checked the weather report right before we went to bed at midnight the night before. One thing about Japanese weather reporting...it is shit hot and reliable. I didn't check it when I woke up but we are only talking about a five hour difference and I didn't think it would go opposite. So I got out my cell phone and gave Broom Hilda a jingle and just as I did I had to talk over this:

http://s759.photobucket.com/albums/xx235/lespaul85paf/Akita Ride/?action=view&current=MVI_0014.mp4

My wife answered the phone and immediately could hear the background noise and asked me what was going on. I asked her to check the weather report for me real quick and to see what the hell was going on. At this time the street was flooding out and I had no choice...I was staying at that convenient store waiting it out. I heard some channel flipping going on through the phone and then it stopped as my spoke out in both frustration and concern:

'What is this?! There are tornado warnings going on in Akita!! We don't have tornados in Japan! What is going on?!'

I was about to say something a crackle and a boom of thunder and lightning came ripping out that was so fucking close that it damn near ripped the phone right out my hand...there was an very brief disruption of service because of it as the road and out into the Sea of Japan lit up like a neon dance at Studio 54!

I quickly responded with a very soothing and reassuring...HOLY FUCK!!

Then I heard from my wife with what I call the shakey. This is the tone of voice that I hear from her. The tone of voice I have come to known when she says goodbye to me at an airport as I head out on a deployment. The tone when she calls me downrange because something happened to one of her friends' husband deployed as well or she saw something on the news or the latest social media feeding frenzy fired up and she was mis-informed. This is the shakey that she is concerned for my safety. She tried to respond with a...

'Matt...the tornados are just an hour or so ahead of you. Matt...what are...'

I wouldn't let her finish and I went into my mode that I have grown accustom to in living in the military for 20 years. I cut her off and responded in my most calming tone as I could muster...the tone I use for my boys when I read them their bedtime stories everynight...

'listen to me baby...I'm turning around and coming home to you right now. I will do this ride another day but today I'm coming home. I want you to pick out something nice to wear for me because I am taking you out to dinner when I get back. Now I need to go because it is going to take time getting back. I'm alright and I will see you later today baby'

At that my point I had one mission and that was to back to the east side of Aomori prefecture safely. What should have been a four hour ride to get home took me over seven. I had to go slow, rolling through mini lakes that formed on the road and about shit my pants each the lightning lit up the sky like a fucking strobe light. I have learned with my age that there are times to fight and there are times to lick your wounds and return to fight another day. This situation was that...live to fight another day...the Akita ride wasn't happening. I have ridden through some hardcore shit but I don't care to take on a tornado while being on two wheels.

I approached the ride back with the tortoise philosophy...slow and steady and sensibility wins the day. I was could only got 20-30 mph because of the roads and visibility and I was stopping every 30 minutes or so for a stretch and a cup of coffee. I finally made it the outskirts of Aomori city and the skies started clearing and I had a clear ride home from that point on. I came home to a very relieved Broom Hilda grabbing at me despite my soaking rain gear. It really is great being married to such a ball and chain :). As promised I took my pretty wife and ornery boys out for dinner where we decided to go for some fine dining pizzas...the champion of choices for anyone with young boys and you actually entertain the idea of bringing them inside a restaurant!

I shall return though...this thriller between Akita and I is not over! It has just begun!! I might be licking my wounds right now but I aint out of it! :fight:

JimmyR

Street Tracker
Akita? Schmakita? I got a Makita! Wow - riding through that makes you a better man than me. Must be the military training. I hate riding in rain. That's what cars are for. Anyway it sounds like it ended up pretty well. It always used to be pizza for us too, but my boy has graduated to curry now. His idea of heaven is a good hot Lamb Vindaloo and lots of papadums.

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
Akita? Schmakita? I got a Makita! Wow - riding through that makes you a better man than me. Must be the military training. I hate riding in rain. That's what cars are for. Anyway it sounds like it ended up pretty well. It always used to be pizza for us too, but my boy has graduated to curry now. His idea of heaven is a good hot Lamb Vindaloo and lots of papadums.

We all love curry a lot and my wife makes a killer style Japanese curry but there is nothing like pizza night with the boys. It's a big event in this household

JimmyR

Street Tracker
Man I must sound old, but there's nothing better than a "family meal", ie a meal that we all get excited about. But especially my son. He's a really fussy eater so when we discovered he liked vindaloo we were all very happy!

I got soooo sick of pizza...