Air Fuel Meter pool

FrankBlack

Two Stroke
Hi lads. I'm putting together a pool for one of those a/f meters http://innovatemotorsports.com/products/lm2.php. The idea being that they're $500 and it's a fairly one-off use kind of gadget (once you're set up you're set up) so it made sense for a bunch of us to get together and buy one, share it around on a schedule, tune our bikes and pass it on. There's room for multiple use, because we'd all own it effectively. I worked out you could get at least four uses of it per year, minimum, if you needed it. I'm working on ten people, which is $50 a head and because of time/ transatlantic shipping difficulties would keep it to UK riders at the moment (but it may be an idea that US riders and others want to take up for themselves). Having said that, we'd need to buy it in the US, so if anyone in the US was willing to take delivery of it, use it for an alloted time, then forward it to us in the UK (we could maybe work it out so that your only investment would be the shipping cost to the UK - probably around $20-30), then that would work to everyone's benefit. The overall saving on dyno runs etc will make it worth it, as well as being a non-wasteful, efficient, friendly, cooperative thing to do. EFI bikes may be able to use their existing O2 bungs, you'd need to check (I assume the EFI bikes have them) and carb bikes would need a bung(s) welded in their pipes. Understandably,this may not be everyone's cuppa tea.

Anyone interested, PM me.

All the best.

Last edited:

FrankBlack

Two Stroke
No welding required

Good news. Someone just pointed out that you don't need an O2 bung welded into your exhaust header(s) to use the a/f meter. There's a clamp that fits temporarily on the end of your silencer/ muffler. It can also be extended using copper tubing to go further into the exhaust. That's probably the solution we'll aim for if we go ahead with the pool.

bdavanza

Street Tracker
I am interested, let's hash out the details and I can send it from the US. I have several bikes I could look at before sending it along.
-Ben

FrankBlack

Two Stroke
5 definites and 2 maybes

I am interested, let's hash out the details and I can send it from the US. I have several bikes I could look at before sending it along.
-Ben

I'm interested as well

Great. We'd be doing this as a cooperative, so it would be helpful if we each found out a little of the info that we need for our particular bikes. I have three other guys (UK) interested and 2 maybes. So, the idea would be to get the numbers up first whilst each of us clarifies - possibly with Innovate - what bits and pieces would best suit our individual bikes. I'm thinking more in terms of the O2 sensor and whether it will fit each bike.

:)Will the sensor fit the stock O2 sensors on EFI bikes?; will the clamp fit our particular exhaust muffler etc?. There are some Sportster riders interested, so we'd need a universal fitting, or two fittings if necessary.

:)Also, we won't need anything too high-tech, so if we can do the job (getting our AFR set right) with a simpler tool then please pipe in with what you find out. For example, I think this kit might also do the job for $299 http://innovatemotorsports.com/products/kits.php

:)Someone would have to take delivery and be the guarantee holder in case of any warranty issues (and be willing to deal with that as and when).

If you feedback here that might be best.

So far, we were thinking that a small geographical area would make it more manageable/ practical. If we had 10 people for example we'd need to work out a schedule that meant the last guy didn't have to wait too long to get his turn. So, if we limited each use to, say, a week maximum at a time before passing it on (by recorded delivery) then that would make it practical for multiple use. You could organise yourself in advance to make sure you have a set of jets, time etc, so that none of us hogs it. If you run out of time it might be fair to pass it along and re-book it.

If it turns out that we have a lot of US and UK riders interested, we need to figure the logistics of shipping in order to keep it fair and to avoid any one individual paying more shipping than another.

But as I say, this is a co-op so any suggestions are welcome and we need to aim towards a common agreement.

Last edited:

bdavanza

Street Tracker
Is there one with a probe that just goes up in the muffler like what they use on a dyno, rather than some thread in piece?
-Ben

FrankBlack

Two Stroke
Is there one with a probe that just goes up in the muffler like what they use on a dyno, rather than some thread in piece?
-Ben

Hi Ben. There's a clamp thing that the sensor screws into and then it's inserted into the muffler (see Innovate's website). However, it will only work on non-catalytic converter muffler/ silencers and someone has said that the clamp is too big for the stock-size silencer/ muffler end. However, I've also heard that it's fairly easy to fabricate something out of narrow diameter tubing and that the sensor clamp can be extended with thin tubing. It's worth discussing, so anyone with ideas on this please post.

I'm still waiting to hear back from Innovate on some questions I sent them. I'm suggesting others who are interested also email them with any tech questions and post back here.

All the best.