Aftermarket Tachometer Wiring

LS1*

Scooter
D9 asked me to post a write-up on wiring up an aftermarket tach (drag specialties DS244133 and clones) on the bonnevilles. So to save the poor souls who were being referred to the unmentionable site :nono: i've written up the instructions here. All photos are of my 2004 Bonneville, but I think the wiring colors have stayed the same.

There are two ways to do it.

First things first, disconnect the battery so you don’t short anything by accident, you have been warned!

DOWN AND DIRTY METHOD:

Cut the red tach signal wire in the instrument cluster connector and solder the wiring harness side to the green tach wire. Then solder the red & blue wires from the tach to the yellow wire going to the parking light, and the black wire from the tach to the black wire going to the parking light. If you connect to the headlight housing side of the connector you can still easily unplug the headlight.

Here is the instrument cluster connector:
0instrumentplug.JPG

Here is the parking light connector:
0parkinglight.JPG

SLICK METHOD:

Now, this is how I wired my bike, but I’m finicky about how things are done, that being said:

Find the black instrument housing connector inside the headlight housing and unplug it from the wiring harness.

Swing the top plastic bar across the back of the connector out of the way by using a small flat blade screwdriver to pry the tabs out on the sides. Do each side separately and the bar will swing away from the leads.

Remove the following leads one at a time, you need to push a paperclip (bevel end) or a real small screwdriver into the connector to release the pins

0clip1.JPG

0clip2.JPG

0pin.JPG

Now, solder the tach leads on as follows:

-Green wire on tach connects to red wire (tach signal) on connector (3rd from left in first photo)
-Red & Blue wires on tach both connect to red wire with blue stripe (instrument power) on connector (4th from left in first photo)
-Black wire on tach connects to Black wire with short silver stripes (instrument power ground) (top left in first photo)

The back of the metal connector is square and there is enough room to add an additional wire next to the existing wire. Solder the tach wires to the existing wires where they are crimped. It is easiest to tin both the wire and the connector separately, then make the final solder connection. It is also helpful to temporarily tape the connector to a small piece of wood when soldering in the headlight housing.

After all connections are soldered and the leads are pushed back into the plug it should look something like this:
0finished.JPG

I also installed a separate connector in the tach wiring so I could remove it if I ever wanted to, otherwise the tach is hardwired.

This is what I used for that, a three pin deans connector:
0deans.JPG

OLDER BIKE NOTE:

I have not done this, take with a grain of salt.

If you have an older bike without the red tach lead in the instrument connector, you should be able to run a wire down to the coil. Pull the plug off the coil that has a yellow wire with black stripe. Solder the green tach lead to it.

Hope this helps someone out.

:rockon:

koifarm

Hooligan
Just a note on these instructions: IMHO, the method using a paper clip is quite tricky and the plastic of that connector is very soft and prone to minor damage if not done correctly. I say this because it happened to me, now, I might be ham fisted and not be able to finesse that operation but non the less, I experienced a short and a no go on the installation so I switched to the direct wire method (as posted on another unnamed site) and it worked okay.
Another issue is that the contacts in that connector block are extremely close together and by soldering a piggy back connection onto those pins there is a possible issue with shorting between pins. This happened to me.
The extra connector is a good thing, you should do that if able.
Just wanted y'all to hear my experience with the tach, it is a great little gauge and works well and looks even better when coupled with the bracket co designed by L1 and D9.

Very good write up LS1
I installed mine about 3 or 4 years ago.
I have a 2001 Bonnie and I did mine very similar to yours except the signal wire on the 2001 comes from a pin connector under the seat.
I had to make my own pin by modifying a very small connector I bought form Radio Shack.

The tach works great.
shinyparts003.jpg

koifarm

Hooligan
Nice job Bonnevillebilly, bet you love yours like I do mine!! Sweet temp/clock set, where didja get that ?
koifarm

Nice job Bonnevillebilly, bet you love yours like I do mine!! Sweet temp/clock set, where didja get that ?
koifarm

Yes I do love having the tach I use it more then I do the speedo.
The clock and the thermometer I think are made by Formation.
They are very good quality you can find them on a lot of sites.
I got mine from fast Eddie's. Some come with there own mounts.
I made the mounting bracket from a piece of stainless steel and polished it.
The ones I have were the stick on ones but, I removed the sticky pads
and the backs of them screw off, so I drilled through both the back covers
and the bracket and bolted them with some small stainless nuts and bolts.
Here is a link to Fast Eddy's site.

http://www.fasteddysports.com/

Bill

D9

Vendor
Last edited:

koifarm

Hooligan
For sure D9, I love the daylights out of my bracket from y'all, as I recall I got one of the first few you made.
Again, wonderful job on those....y'all are top flight designers/manufacturers putting out a quality product.
Lots of people have looked at the setup and always ask where I got the bracket, particularly when i attend a bike/car show and show the bonnie....

I purchased the bracket from LS1 and love it completely. I had never done any soldering before and it took me a little while to get the hang of it but now I would consider myself a newb novice so look at that progress! :)

Here is my question: The tach is mounted to the back of the speedo. The speedo is connected to the bike by what I would describe as a rubber sock. It can spin free inside of that sock within about 15 degrees (only being anchored by the trip counter arm, if you still have one).

Currently, to keep my tach from moving around and sinking down to where it makes contact with the back of the "idiot light" housing I have zip tied a rubber grommet around the tach.

Has anyone come up with a more logical and elegant solution?

D9

Vendor
Rob,

When I mounted up the LS1, and the speedo was tightened up with
the two acorn nuts - thus clamping it firmly against the rubber speedo grommet - I didn't have anything like that amount of rotation.

One easy fix would be to put a small black neoprene spacer against
the indicator lamp housing right at the spot the tach is making contact - that
should solve the problem and be pretty much invisible from most viewing angles.

I've plenty of neoprene in various thicknesses and durometers, a small piece
with some hyper-aggressive automotive trim tape on the back should do it - you
may be able to rustle something up yourself, if not I'd be happy to send
something out to you...

Update: pics attached of a neoprene spacer. 3/8" black neoprene bumper, approx 40 durometer, approx dimensions
1" x 1" - could easily be smaller - with fiercely sticky automotive trim tape on the back. Perfect fit, no way the tacho can move as
the tach bezel is smack up against the bumper.

LS1_bumper_side2.jpg

LS1_bumper_side.jpg

LS1_bumper_face1.jpg

FYI, when I installed the LS1 on the OEM bracket tonight and tightened the speedo acorn nuts, there was NO way the speedo was gonna rotate easily - had to bear down on the tach with considerable effort to get any movement, and when I let up the speedo & tach returned to correct orientation.
There's a detent in the OEM bracket and a tab in the groove of that big ol' speedo grommet, when the cup is clamped against the grommet there really shouldn't be rotational movement... but if so, a little neoprene bumper is one way to fix it.

Cheers,

D9

Last edited:

LS1*

Scooter
I'm not exactly sure about this, but as I recall there are 1 or 2 washers on each post between the speedo and the plastic housing (inside it), these may keep you from being able to really tighten the speedo down.

D9, did you have the washers on the inside of the housing when you mocked it up?

Removing the washers may allow the housing to be tightened more securely, but also may let you tighten it too much, i.e. crack it.

FWIW, my tach does have a small amount of movement, and I remember I fought to reinstall those washers inside the housing after they fell out on my prototype install. I think I removed the entire housing assembly to get the washers back on. Now, I wonder if I take them out if it would stop all movement?

I'd go out and check it right now, but the flyscreen makes it a bit more of a pain.

D9

Vendor
LS1,

Well, shoot. Hmmm.

On the original pics I took, not sure if I had any little washers on the inside, but if they weren't on - and if they do in fact act as shims to keep the plastic OEM cup from being damaged from over-tightening - I can see now how rotation of the speedo could take place.

Rob, I stand corrected.

Fitting up the LS1 tonight, I used one of my aluminum cups and it the whole show really locked together... did not use inside washers, but with the aluminum cups there's no chance of breakage...

ok...

I went and took some footage [here] so that you could see what I was talking about.

There is not a whole love of movement because of the trip reset arm... if that was off it would rotate a lot more.

I like the idea of the rubber stopper... is there a brand of tape that you suggested D9?

D9

Vendor
Rob,

The tape is 3M exterior mounting tape... gray color...don't have the product # with me right now though, I'm at work... bought it at a Do-it-Best hardware store in the tapes & adhesives section... if you can't source any, email me your mailing address and I'll send you everything you need including the neoprene.

Hey...nice movie - now that's world-class speedometer groping :D

Last edited:
lol... I watched it again and laughed pretty hard about that. My girlfriend was jealous and demanded equal time.

I can't find your email (or how to private message on this forum any longer) so if you could send ME your email... robert.futrell at gmail dot com.

Thank you so much D9. I went to Home Depot, True Value and came up quite short in my search...

Rob,

The tape is 3M exterior mounting tape... gray color...don't have the product # with me right now though, I'm at work... bought it at a Do-it-Best hardware store in the tapes & adhesives section... if you can't source any, email me your mailing address and I'll send you everything you need including the neoprene.

Hey...nice movie - now that's world-class speedometer groping :D

Great news. Not only did the rubber bit hold the tach in a perfect 2oclock position about the speedo but it also removed a slight vibration that had been there before.

I could not be happier with it. I racked up a couple hundred miles over the weekend and everything looks perfect.

I <3 D9