Adding a tacho to a Bonnie

Twodogs

Street Tracker
It's just a little odd to me. I guess no tach is fine for older, slower guys, or guys who aren't interested in motors or performance. Maybe no tach is fine for the kind of guys who are okay with driving a Toyota Corolla every day. I'm young and drive a roadster.

I love a tachometer. I need a tachometer. I can't imagine driving or riding anything without a tachometer. In fact, I'd have a tachometer on my toothbrush if I could.

did you say on your vibrator sonny you will have to speak up???? ..........just kidding:poke:

Last edited:

JimmyR

Street Tracker
thearcticsea - it's funny you should say all that. When it comes to cars I couldn't care less. As long as it has airconditioning, cruise control and doesn't break down I don't care. I drive an over 10-yr old Honda Accord which is as boring as hell but comfortable and never breaks down. Where I live you can't really drive anywhere in an exciting way - there is too much bloody traffic. I hate driving.

That's why I love the bike so much. Here I can get past all the clogged up traffic on my bike. Lane splitting is accepted here and saves so much time. Going cross-town in a car might take 20 minutes in a car, 10 on the bike. And strangely enough the tacho has helped me get away from all those cars as quickly as possible by letting me know where the engine is at. It is good to know rather than just guessing. It helps in engine tuning diagnosis as well.

Anyway, enough of this chatting. I'm off to meet a bloke, and I'm taking the bike.

Haha good stuff, all.

I wasn't being combative or anything. I'm just saying that, yeah, I really like to know where I'm at on the tach. I know where my car reclines exactly and I enjoy those instances of perfection in shifting.

On the bike it's really awesome at WOT, so yeah, I love shifting perfectly on that too! I'm not saying I nail it every time, I don't, but without a tach I suspect I'd never get it perfect no matter how right it sounded by ear.

Either way, I see a bike with no tach and think "not a sporting machine", comfortable maybe, fun maybe, excellent maybe, but not a sporting machine.

dschief

750cc
In the days of points ignition, a tachometer was/is a neccesity to keep from revving the engine too high, too often anyway.
With electronic ignition and rev limiters, it's alomost redundant. I have both tach and no tach, on my Thruxton and Bonneville respectively, I only hit the limiter in first gear once in a great while on either bike, rarely second, and I do run the shit out of them whenever I can. I could, and can, live without a tach on the Triumphs.
BTW, I did have one on the Bonneville for about 6 months, but it crapped out on me, as in it registered zero rpm's. I just can't bring myself to buy another one.

JimmyR

Street Tracker
I'm curious - where is the cutout on an '07-ish Bonneville? I hit 8000 on mine yesterday without really meaning to and it was only for a sec before I changed gear. I thought I would have hit the cutout. I mean, there were no numbers left to hit on the tacho!

LoVel

Two Stroke
Just keep winding until you hit it. It will not hurt it. It is at about 70 in 2nd gear on the Scrambler. I don't have a tach.

rodhotter

Scooter
i feel the same about boost guages, wheni got my new to me 01 audi tt i had to have a boost gauge to see what the turbo was doing, i am wanting a tach as well for my base 2012 bonnie