ABS on bikes. What for?

Dave W.

moped
Why fuel injection, water cooling, overhead cams, 6 speed transmissions, 5 speed transmissions, adjustable suspension, advances in tire technology, all this stuff just makes riders lazy and unable to learn how to really manage the motorcycle riding experience.

Mark

750cc
Why fuel injection, water cooling, overhead cams, 6 speed transmissions, 5 speed transmissions, adjustable suspension, advances in tire technology, all this stuff just makes riders lazy and unable to learn how to really manage the motorcycle riding experience.

Now that's funny!

strokerlmt

Now that's funny!

Saw this today in town. HD coming through town. HUGE fiberglass purple side bags, hard rear seat bag glass and purple, some sort of rear seat / back rest / hand rests concoction where the wife was sitting. Front fairing the size of Oregon, cruise pegs for both riders, and two speakers bolted to the fairing playing s*&^t music.
"Press on".
LMT

Roger

Street Tracker
Don't forget back in the day, those hideous Windjammer fairings with 8 Track Stereo and / or CB radios fitted. But Big Wheel Baggers have a special place.... no wait... what?

bigwheel1.jpg

Oh ya. These don't have ABS.

DoKnowHarm

Scooter
Way back when, when I took a basic riders course, I learned that I could stop in a shorter distance without ABS. I was riding a BMW with ABS (could be deactivated via a switch) and my instructor, who also owned a BMW, taught me that with proper braking technique a rider could brake more efficiently and without locking up a tire.

I'll admit, having ABS was nice but mostly in those "Oh Shi*" moments where my then-novice abilities would have otherwise locked up a tire and sent me out of control.

Let's put it this way, if I ever convince my wife to ride, we'll be getting her a bike with ABS. I think that statement alone best illustrates my point.

Roger

Street Tracker
Hi DKH. Didn't see you sneak in there. Welcome to the forum.

Way back when, when I took a basic riders course, I learned that I could stop in a shorter distance without ABS. I was riding a BMW with ABS (could be deactivated via a switch) and my instructor, who also owned a BMW, taught me that with proper braking technique a rider could brake more efficiently and without locking up a tire.

I have seen a few videos showing how good ABS is over no ABS. Still doesn't convince me that ABS is something I need. Your instructor might have a different view about ABS now. It would seem that your instructor emphasized to you, how important proper braking is though. That to me is worth more than just relying on some system to do your thinking or working for you.

Let's put it this way, if I ever convince my wife to ride, we'll be getting her a bike with ABS. I think that statement alone best illustrates my point.

I don't know about 'trying to convince' someone to ride a bike. I know my wife doesn't even want to get on the bike with me. Unless someone isn't absolutely keen on learning how to ride a bike, then I fear that person might not be willing or confident enough to properly learn to ride. Best bet is to probably rent a couple of small dirt bikes and go tear around some sand pits or open fields. If you take a fall someplace like that, the landing will be a bit softer. Then see how much of a fun factor bikes are for that person.

Here is a complete shot in the dark. As daft as I think these things are, it is an option for some riders. A Spyder, not quite the motorcycle experience but pretty close.

http://can-am.brp.com/spyder/

Roger

Street Tracker
Well, I was expressing a genuine concern but I guess you won't be able to figure that out.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
When the local cops got their 1st gen cruisers with ABS, it was in the Winter and they smashed up three or four the first week of bad weather. Blamed it on the ABS.

I don't think it's a bad thing, but it's not something I'd have to have as an option.