A question for the Texas riders

RoyNC

Street Tracker
I may be relocating to Odessa Texas and I am curious what the cafe scene is like in Texas? I am assuming Odessa would not have much of anything but other parts of the state may???

I am familiar with the scene in the south and north east and even west coast (all seem to be a little different in their own way). I was just curious what Texas folks are doing.

Is there any real good riding in West Texas or is it just all flat and straight?

nohawk

Rocker
Roy, there isn't much of anything in Odessa or Midland but oil/gas money. It's about 370 miles from Austin which is arguably the best scene in the state, people in Dallas or Houston might disagree. But Austin is where the best riding is. Lubbock is closer to Odessa and home to Texas Tech, I've heard it has grown alot. The roads around Midland/Odessa will be let down compared to N. Carolina for sure.

KingBear

Hooligan
I've spent a lot of time in Texas, all over the place, and I think I might enjoy living there. But Odessa? No. Oh my, no.:nono:

The Hill Country west of Austin (out past Kerrville) is arguably some of the best riding in the country. It's not terribly close to Odessa, but I'm sure there are good places to ride there too. Check out http://www.twtex.com/ and also Ride Texas Magazine.

RoyNC

Street Tracker
Gee..maybe Odessa (or Midland) may not be a place I want to live after all? Before posting on here I did not hear anything positive either. Being unemployed I really need a job and this was the only offer I have received in 4 months.

geolpilot

Street Tracker
I have overnighted in Odessa and Midland while flying to the mountains in a light plane. I would never visit either by choice. Flat, treeless and dry. Only trees are where they are irrigated. Only low hills. People are nice, though.

hankmarx

750cc
Cowboys and roughnecks, that's hard country thru there. Flat ,dry, and treeless is right. Not to far to Big Bend though, some nice roads out that way.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
Well, I pulled a couple of loads delivering to Alpine or there about. Some curvy roads and the most wildlife I've even seen in daylight.

Shorty

Two Stroke
I can't add more to what's been said already. The Hill Country around Austin is consistently rated some of the best Bike riding area in Texas. However, as someone already stated you won't be too far from the Big Bend Area (Davis Mountains and Alpine). See if you can rustle up a copy of "Ride Texas" magazine which comes out I think 4-times a year. The May 2009 copy had a nice article on the Big Bend Area.
See http://ridetexas.com and welcome to Texas.

Shorty

PS: Off subject, if you're into High School Football (which is really big in Odessa) that's the place to be. The book and movie "Friday Night Lights" is based on the Odessa Permian High School football team.

Last edited: