A New Steed (And a few questions..)

Hey everyone!

After 7 years I've finally made a dream come true and got a bike again, being young and stupid I sold my bike to go travelling and I've finally 'settled' in NZ. Keeping in line with my families history of bikes, London and the Ace cafe I recently bought a Bonne. It's a 2008, 21,000 miled import from the UK.

I just wanted to ask what type of things I should know or look out for now and in the future on it and also what pipes it currently has on it as I can't trace them. I'd love to learn how to tinker with it myself too, so any advice would be grand!

Attachments

• photo10084.jpg
    photo10084.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 1
  • photo10085.jpg
    photo10085.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 1
  • photo10086.jpg
    photo10086.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 1
Cheers for that!

After a little bit of a clean up and deciding what I want to do with the bike I came across two things that didn't really look 100% right. I've attached photos, what do you guys think?
Also, when it's idling after it's been started, sometimes it'll just turn off.

Attachments

• photo10087.jpg
    photo10087.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 2
  • photo10088.jpg
    photo10088.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 2

bonZa

Street Tracker
Cheers for that!

After a little bit of a clean up and deciding what I want to do with the bike I came across two things that didn't really look 100% right. I've attached photos, what do you guys think?
Also, when it's idling after it's been started, sometimes it'll just turn off.

not sure what I'm looking at with the first picture, but with the second it shows the tab washer bent over the nut for keeping the primary sprocket in place. this is correct as it prevents the nut from loosening

not sure why it would turn off after idling for a while. is it after it has been ridden and well warmed up?

Hey Bonza,
Ah I see, sorry I wasn't aware of that, starting from scratch on the maintenance side of things! In the first it looks like someone has crimped the connection too tight, and as I don't have a service history on it I'm trying to figure it all out.

It stops a couple of minutes after it's been started from cold, is that just a carb thing?

I think crimping is like that from the factory as my 2008 same. although I'm the second owner I bought it from an old dude who never rode it and had next to no mileage clocked on it so that part has never been touched

drlapo

Hooligan
It should not be a carb thing as the bike should be efi.
I think08 was when the switch was made
The silencers look like emgo short megas
It must be loud
Does it pop on the over run?
It's tough to tune an efi bike for those mufflers
If it's a carb bike the main jet should be125 to 135 Pilot42 maybe shim the needle a mm

Last edited:

ttbonnie

Scooter
Welcome to the madness!
The pipes are D&D's
the counter sprocket washer is supposed to be bent it acts as a retainer as the final drive shaft is grooved.
your oil line should definitely not look like that- it looks like it should be able rotate At the joint between the banjo and the crimped fitting. However you need a specialty fitting to clamp the hose -

It should not be a carb thing as the bike should be efi.
I think08 was when the switch was made
The silencers look like emgo short megas
It must be loud
Does it pop on the over run?
It's tough to tune an efi bike for those mufflers
If it's a carb bike the main jet should be125 to 135 Pilot42 maybe shim the needle a mm

This is one of the last carb ones!
I'm pretty sure they are those and yeah, they make a racket!!
no popping as such, it seems to run a steady rev then will drop every now and then. I've booked it in for a service next month so will see what he says.
thanks for your help!

Welcome to the madness!
The pipes are D&D's
the counter sprocket washer is supposed to be bent it acts as a retainer as the final drive shaft is grooved.
your oil line should definitely not look like that- it looks like it should be able rotate At the joint between the banjo and the crimped fitting. However you need a specialty fitting to clamp the hose -

I have a feeling the first chap did a lot of work himself, no doubt that was him. Is it just a cosmetic thing?

ttbonnie

Scooter
I have a feeling the first chap did a lot of work himself, no doubt that was him. Is it just a cosmetic thing?

50/50 a pinched line is a restricted line, however chutney says his is similar, there is nothing you would do as far as maintenance is concerned that would have you taking those off, or twisting them if you did take them off. I would ask a triumph shop if they can straighten them out

50/50 a pinched line is a restricted line, however chutney says his is similar, there is nothing you would do as far as maintenance is concerned that would have you taking those off, or twisting them if you did take them off. I would ask a triumph shop if they can straighten them out

Thanks for the advice ttbonnie. The downfalls of living here in Queenstown, NZ is that the nearest Triumph dealer is nearly 4 hours away! I took it to the local chap and he's gonna stick a new one on next month when it has its service.
the one thing I have noticed is when it's just idling the bike won't just sit steady, it very slightly fluctuates all the time, is that just a triumph trait? The bike I had before this was a SV650 so it feels and sounds so different to me.

I'll try and post a few videos up of her running.

capt

moped
I'd say if it's carbureted and it stalls/stops when you say it does the idle needs a wee tickle to boost idle speed a smidge, if it's fuel injected you need to reset the TPS ( throttle position sensor ) with a program called "tuneecu" its a fee download and the website has some after market tune's to suit various models, and that will fix the stalling.