A cafe Bonneville questions

Newbonnierider, you noted the loss of weight by removing the mufflers (I assume that you must have some sort of pipes, though). I actually was wondering about weight reductions on either a Thrux or a Bonnie. I assume that changing the exhaust and removing the rear fender are obvious choices. What else can be done to reduce weight? This isn't an imperative--more of a curiosity.

I took off the stock mufflers and went with a basic 4" baffle in the end of the stock headers. This obviously requires a reflash and a bunch of stuff to make the bike run, but I just had the dealer download a TOR flash and it works OK.

daleCarlsbad

Scooter
With a bit of work $$$ the Bonnie is a great canyon carver.

904cc, suspension, gearing, tires.....etc. etc.

IMG_0005-4.jpg

IMG_0003-7.jpg

IMG_0001-1.jpg

IMG_0012-3.jpg

5e95eea7.jpg

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Cool garage and nicely modded bonnie...including your Kuota road bike. :)
Norman Hyde just shipped my rearsets and can't wait to join you guys that
have them.
Cheers.

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
Would like to hear how you get on with the NH rearsets SpeedChris. I do like the fact that he is making those rearsets to the time period of the Bonnie. I order some things from him when I was living in England and have been very pleased with everything I got. Throw up some pics when you get them put up!!

dctex

moped
Beautiful bike, Dale. I don't have a discerning enough eye--is that the stock front wheel with a shorter fender, or did you go with a smaller wheel (e.g., a stock Thruxton front wheel)?

Also, your post triggered a follow up question -- a cafe'd Bonneville would work fine for a track day, right? I know that folks take their Thruxtons on the track and have that dedicated racing league.

I know that I'd get lapped by the newest and greatest (like my current bike). But there's no reason why I couldn't track a cafe Bonny, right?

daleCarlsbad

Scooter
The front wheel is stock Bonnie. The bike had a bit of head shake when letting off the gas at 70-mph, but a new set of good tyres (Pirelli Sport Demons) and then aftermarket fork springs solved that.

I modded the NH rear-sets as well. New non-rubber pegs (posted the info sometime ago here on the board) shaved the rear brake pedal, and fabricated a tab on the shifter as well.

Also.....really liked the ace handle bars....but installed a set of the newer Thruxton bars and now the riding position & handling is perfect.

IMG_0011-4.jpg

IMG_0008-2.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0008-3.jpg

IMG_0015-4.jpg

Prior to Cafe look........

Dalesnewride-1.jpg

Last edited:

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Would like to hear how you get on with the NH rearsets SpeedChris. I do like the fact that he is making those rearsets to the time period of the Bonnie. I order some things from him when I was living in England and have been very pleased with everything I got. Throw up some pics when you get them put up!!
Will do B06Tang.

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
The front wheel is stock Bonnie. The bike had a bit of head shake when letting off the gas at 70-mph, but a new set of good tyres (Pirelli Sport Demons) and then aftermarket fork springs solved that.

I modded the NH rear-sets as well. New non-rubber pegs (posted the info sometime ago here on the board) shaved the rear brake pedal, and fabricated a tab on the shifter as well.

Also.....really liked the ace handle bars....but installed a set of the newer Thruxton bars and now the riding position & handling is perfect.

IMG_0011-4.jpg

IMG_0008-2.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0008-3.jpg

IMG_0015-4.jpg

Prior to Cafe look........

Dalesnewride-1.jpg
Dale,
You have a great eye and flair for these bikes...your bike is very nicely modded. I wonder if you have any experience with the Norman Hyde M bar and if so how it compares to the OEM late model Thruxton handlebar you just installed? They look close in shape...very little rise and similar pullback and wondered if they were very close dimensionally?
Thanks.

I just put the NH M bars on my bonnie, they are close to the stock thrux ones but not the same. It feels like the grip positioning is wider than the stock. seems like the bends are larger and more swooping (if that makes sense). I like them, but they dont feel as sporty as the thrux ones. Keep in mind, this is all from when i sat on a Thrux in the dealership, but i remember the feeling because that was what made me want the bars. Hope this is helpful.

strokerlmt

I just played with my bars over the past week. I had MBars....took them flipped them upside down and liked. Then off they came and I put on the ACE bars that I have had for a year. I think I like them. I feel much less wind on my chest and helmet. My helmet seems to be at a better angle , meaning forward and down more so it breaks the wind easier. Now all I need is some time for a longer ride to see how the body holds up.
LMT