'83 kz 550 ltd project

we can't lower the tank without cutting out the tunnel and rewelding it...not gonna happen.

I tried to sell my buddy on a cowl type seat, but he wants to make a flat seat with a little flare up on the back. It will basically follow the frame rails.

here's a little update.

Today we cleaned some tabs off the frame and I cut the loop off the original back of the frame so we can weld it back on just behind the seat.

here's me cutting tabs off the loop(at my house I have a nice welding table with a big vice, at his place I have to use a City of Austin trash can):

DSCN1315.jpg

here's the loop test fitted to the back of the frame. This is where I'll weld it in:

DSCN1317.jpg

and here's a few shots of the rear fender and tail light mocked on the bike:

DSCN1324.jpg

DSCN1327.jpg

DSCN1331.jpg

DSCN1336.jpg

and here's my buddy making "vroom vroom" sounds:

DSCN1334.jpg

Last edited:

Texas94fs

Hooligan
Whoa! This has to be the guy you and the x said i looked like when I was up there. If those are PF flyers I'm seriously going to have to talk to my parents and see what the fuck is going on. Bike looks awesome. I cant believe that was the thing sitting in your carport

another update:

I got the frame all welded up:

DSCN1409.jpg

DSCN1410.jpg

DSCN1411.jpg

we mounted the fender and I welded the brackets onto the frame:

DSCN1433.jpg

then we rattle-canned it black:

DSCN1450.jpg

traced a seatpan pattern out of cardboard, then cut it out of 14 ga steel sheet:

DSCN1371.jpg

test fit:

DSCN1381.jpg

time to bend it!:

DSCN1382.jpg

my buddy is running low on funds for the project, so we ghetto-rigged an exercise pad/gorilla tape seat cover. He'll get it professionally covered in the next month or so, but this works for now:

DSCN1425.jpg

here's me testing my welds for strength:

DSCN1442.jpg

mounting the rear fender:

DSCN1444.jpg

DSCN1439.jpg

We're getting close! Only a few things left on the checklist. This is a lot of damn fun!

Whoa! This has to be the guy you and the x said i looked like when I was up there. If those are PF flyers I'm seriously going to have to talk to my parents and see what the fuck is going on. Bike looks awesome. I cant believe that was the thing sitting in your carport

ha! yeah I just noticed your post, and yes that's the guy, and he is wearing PF Fliers.

D9

Vendor
Damn, Jeff... some moto version of "real world" should have you in front
of the camera and be payin' you for this shit... great project, great pics (the welding pic is esp killer), great update... I'm looking forward to whatever happens next... keep up the good work! :headbang2:

Cheers,

D9:

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Jeff,

I think its great. Saves an old bike, helps a buddy, shows creative skills. Also , it looks good.Thanks for the pictures..
My opinion means nuts but... I really don't like those limp dick sparto tail lights.. I think a round model A type mounted on the side or even a low rectangle that leaves the fender shape clean ( like the Nightster )would look so much better on that bike and let you paint a nice stripe down the fender to match the tank! No sure how those lights would get mounted , but...

But what do I know...

Last edited:
Damn, Jeff... some moto version of "real world" should have you in front
of the camera and be payin' you for this shit... great project, great pics (the welding pic is esp killer), great update... I'm looking forward to whatever happens next... keep up the good work! :headbang2:

Cheers,

D9:

Thanks Seth! I agree, I love having other people pay for stuff for me to play with!

Jeff,

I think its great. Saves an old bike, helps a buddy, shows creative skills. Also , it looks good.Thanks for the pictures..
My opinion means nuts but... I really don't like those limp dick sparto tail lights.. I think a round model A type mounted on the side or even a low rectangle that leaves the fender shape clean ( like the Nightster )would look so much better on that bike and let you paint a nice stripe down the fender to match the tank! No sure how those lights would get mounted , but...

But what do I know...

I don't care for it too much, but it doesn't really bother me either. I'd rather see a hidden LED tail light, but this is what my buddy wanted and it's his bike so dere it be!

here's a pic of the painted fender and tank, I'll get a pic of 'em mounted as soon as he posts the new pics:

DSCN1465.jpg

check out this nifty Biltwell Stash Tube my buddy mounted to the underside of the seat.

DSCN1460.jpg

He said it's for "registration", but he also said "you put your weed in there, man"

Today we got the front brake bled and mounted the newly-painted rear fender. It is basically 100% assembled with only a few loose ends.

We discovered a leak in the gas tank where a rudimentary fuel level sensor was once mounted, so we JB Welded the hole shut and are waiting for the JB Weld to cure before we put gas in the tank.

We should be able to actually ride the thing tomorrow. I'm sure it will need some tuning/jetting work done as we kinda guessed at the jetting based on the mods we did (86'd the airbox, new emgo pipes, etc).

Here's how she looks all together:

DSCN1477.jpg

DSCN1478.jpg

DSCN1481.jpg

DSCN1483.jpg

Fingers crossed! We're riding tomorrow!