6000 Mile Service

rmiles

Scooter
Just bought oil (Mobile 1 15W-50 API SM,SL/CF) fully synthetic. Is
this suitable enough or should I go with another brand?

Last edited:

phil

Street Tracker
have u noticed any thing different with the new oil?? being that it is synthetic oil..

rmiles

Scooter
have u noticed any thing different with the new oil?? being that it is synthetic oil..

The new Bonnevilles are originally filled with a full synthetic oil, I believe? I was just being sure of the API of the brand was compatible. Owner`s Handbook calls for 10W/40 or 15W/50 semi or fully synthetic API SH or higher. Since I bought oil at Wal-Mart,just wanted to be sure. Hope this oil change does`nt change any of the bikes characteristics.

rmiles

Scooter
It should be fine, but out of curiosity, is it the motorcycle oil or the automobile oil?

It`s the official motor oil of NASCAR so I`m think it auto. Do you think this could have any ill effects? Local auto store has 15W-50 for bikes at 10$ a QT.
Wal-Mart Mobil 1 15W-50 was 6.50. Think maybe I should go with factory Triumph oil or one that is specific for bikes?

Bonniebret

Rocker
OK, I'll say it. I didn't think there was a difference between motorcycle and auto oil. I thought it was the same regardless of the weight.

Norvel

Two Stroke
While on the subject it all here...

I was at the local Dealership about 6 weeks ago and they mentioned something about Triumph switching from Mobile 1 to Castor Oil.

Anyone here hear anything recently to this reference?

mark66

TT Racer
While on the subject it all here...

I was at the local Dealership about 6 weeks ago and they mentioned something about Triumph switching from Mobile 1 to Castor Oil.

Anyone here hear anything recently to this reference?

Not at my dealership yet. Their still selling the Mobil 1 4t racing oil for Triumphs which I assumed is what the OP had bought.

thistle66

Scooter
I think you mean Castrol, not Castor...but then again, mebbe everything runs well on Castor oil.

I believe Triumph have recently moved from promoting Mobil1 to Castrol. But that doesn't mean fig to us. Just use any decent oil, the rest is just corporations swilling money around for advertising perks.

Car oil is not good for bikes because the clutch shares the engine oil. A lot of car oils have friction modifiers that make the clutch plates too slick and can cause the clutch to slip.

atwal

Scooter
I was about to commit that mistake on the first oil change. But, I re-read the manual for specification. DO NOT use automobile motor oil in motorcylces because it will cause clutch slipage. Go to motorcycle store or triumph dealership to get the correct version.

Or do like I do and use Rotella from Wal Mart in the gallon jugs. It's great stuff and suitable for use in motorcycles. It's also under $20 per gallon for full synthetic.