2nd procom box and twice as pissed off

msc66

Two Stroke
So the igniter (or cdi) went out on my 01 bonnie and Bonafied lent me a spare until I could get a new one. I ordered an adjustable procom on ebay but it wouldn't start the bike on any of the settings. Sent it back and got another but it won't start it either. Tried all the settings again. Talked to the tech at procom numerous times but no luck. Plus, my kids are home so I can't yell, swear and throw things. If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them before my head explodes.

Bonafide

NBR founder
Got your message - was out riding Hwy 60 thru Suches and there-a-bouts.

Here's my thoughts .. ALL the Procom boxes I see listed on ebay state you can adjust TPS settings, fuel mapping, etc. That is fuel injected related - not old skool carbureted as your 2001 is. My suggestion. contact Carlos with TPUSA (listed here as a vendor) and tell him what you need.

Hey guys you may try your new one on Bonafide's,just to see if it works on his. I have heard other stories where a new one may work on one bike but not another,may be worth a try.

msc66

Two Stroke
Mike, you going to Barber's vintage days this coming weekend?

Uggh, I really want to but the only day I am free is friday. I don't know how much sense it makes to ride over friday morning and ride back that night. Not going to put up the white flag yet but its not looking good.

Bonafide

NBR founder
I've never spent the night at Barbers ... always do a one day over/back ride. We're looking at Sunday. Too much conflicts and mine and Deb's schedule.

sanjuro

Two Stroke
I'm looking at riding over Friday. Let me know if you wanna go. Gotta help set up the party Saturday and clean up Sunday. Stupid work party is more work than party.

mikenva

Rocker
So the igniter (or cdi) went out on my 01 bonnie and Bonafied lent me a spare until I could get a new one. I ordered an adjustable procom on ebay but it wouldn't start the bike on any of the settings. Sent it back and got another but it won't start it either. Tried all the settings again. Talked to the tech at procom numerous times but no luck. Plus, my kids are home so I can't yell, swear and throw things. If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them before my head explodes.
was the one that bonafied let you use a stock one? and it started the bike and ran ok?
Try this first hook up a battery charger to the bike try to start it with the procom (for some reason they wont fire unless the battery is strong).One thing that I dont like about the procom as it comes out the box they dont have as much timing on start up as the stock box dose.Does it just spin over and wont catch? If so you might want to use the softwear that came with it and make a custom map and load it to see if it helps .Add 2 deg at 0 rpms and go up to 3 deg at 3000 rpms. Unlike it says in the book you must load the map on the switch setting you are running if its a 360 deg motor set it at 1 thats the older 790 map.
If you would like to talk about this on the phone pm me i will give you my number.

Bonafide

NBR founder
Yeah, the one he borrowed is stock and I checked the voltage output on his battery while he was here. Normal operating.

msc66

Two Stroke
OK, so here's what I've figured out. I have an '04 Bonnie here and I plugged the procom box into it set on #1 and it fired right up. So, the box is good but for some reason it won't fire my bike.

So a little back story is in order now. Earlier this year the coil on my bike went out and with nologys back ordered for months I found a guy on ebay that had a box of pvl coils he thought would work on the new bonnies. The part numbers didn't match up but they looked the same so for 20 bucks I gave it a shot and it worked. So on a hunch I took the factory gill coil from the '04 put it on my bike with the new procom box and boom, fired right up. Swapped back to the pvl coil and no spark. So for whatever reason, the ebay pvl coil will work with the factory cdi but not the procom.

The reason I have the '04 here is that I bought it the other night. It has a bad misfire itself. Because of that and a baby on the way I got it for a good price. The previous owner put a procom box on it hoping it would fix it but it didn't so now I have two bikes, two good procom boxes and the good factory box off the '04 which means that now I can give bonefide's stock box back to him.

Wow, I hope all of this makes some kind of sense.

mikenva

Rocker
makes alot of since.the after maket coils are not to the same spec as the oem coil they clam to be better but there not.I ran into the same thing on my bike a few years back.The hot wires are junk allso.Good stock wires or the after market tpusa sell are way better.I like the new procoms but to be honest there not as tuff as the stock boxes.
Make good and sure you have them pluged in tight.I blew one because the plug didnt fit tight(make sure the little clip locks in.They dont fit the plug as good as the stock box.

RJRR

moped
Last fall my 01 Bonne with 22,000 miles on it died finally at a light.Found it was the coils that went bad which was slowly for 1-2000 miles. Replaced them with Nology ones.Set up a Procom I wanted to add and the bike has been starting easier than when new and running harder for some 5000 miles.

msc66

Two Stroke
Last fall my 01 Bonne with 22,000 miles on it died finally at a light.Found it was the coils that went bad which was slowly for 1-2000 miles. Replaced them with Nology ones.Set up a Procom I wanted to add and the bike has been starting easier than when new and running harder for some 5000 miles.

How long did you have to wait for the Nology coil?

RumRunner

Street Tracker
A buddy of mine ran into a similar situation where his igniter worked fine but a friends didn't they swapped and they worked on the others bikes and went off from there.