2012 Bonneville Chain Adjustment

Pauljp

Scooter
I am a newbie and just purchased a 2012 Bonneville.
I just got my MC learners permit and only have been riding for 3 weeks.
I searched and only found one post about the rear spindle nuts torque to 85 ft-lbs.
I am curious as to how you can torque these nuts with the exhausts in the way.
I thought of angling the exhausts towards the outside.
I guess I would need to remove the bolts from the rear foot rest, and the bolt below the front foot rest that are holding the pipes to the frame.
If I did this, would the pipes swing out far enough to put a torque wrench on the spindle nut, or is there a better way.

That should work, but my question is, why would you need to tighten the rear spindle nuts already?

I would recommend picking up either the Hanes manual or the official Triumph manual or both.

Pauljp

Scooter
Sorry, I guess I should have mentioned, I was lubing the chain tonight and it appears that the chain has more slack than when I first got it 3 weeks ago. Although it could just be my imagination.
I am going on a two day ride on Wednesday and thought about tightening the chain.
So I was wondering how to torque the nuts.
I currently have ~1,200km on it.
I changed my own oil at 800km as per the owners manual and was curious about the chain.
I downloaded a service manual, I will see if it says anything in it about this.
Sorry for all these questions... I'm really new to this.
Thanks.

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
You definitely need the manual if for no other reason other than you will have all the torque settings you need for your ride. I go about a 1/2 inch play on both my chains. Loosen the axle nut and use the hash mark guide on both sides of the rear stay so that you know they are even. If you are two hashes on the right, then you want to be two hashes on the left. Then tighten your axle back up to spec. There will be stretch on a new chain but are you using a tape measure to calculate the play in your chain or are you just eyeballing this and think you have a lot? You would be surprised how much of a pull you can get on 1/2 inch

Motley

750cc
You definitely need the manual if for no other reason other than you will have all the torque settings you need for your ride. I go about a 1/2 inch play on both my chains. Loosen the axle nut and use the hash mark guide on both sides of the rear stay so that you know they are even. If you are two hashes on the right, then you want to be two hashes on the left. Then tighten your axle back up to spec. There will be stretch on a new chain but are you using a tape measure to calculate the play in your chain or are you just eyeballing this and think you have a lot? You would be surprised how much of a pull you can get on 1/2 inch

For what it's worth, the recommended slack between the sprockets is 25mm - 35mm (0.984" - 1.378"), at 1/2" yours is much too tight.