2009 (EFI) T-100 airbox removal

MJL1961

Scooter
Guys,

I recently purchased a 2009 Bonnie T-100 (EFI). 3000 miles, runs great, but PO replaced stock silencers with performance pipes (... not sure which ones). Bike runs great, but I get a LOT of 'popping' when I roll off the throttle... local dealer thought I needed to replace stock airbox with performance kit, so as to allow increased airflow through the exhaust pipes... thus better fuel/air mix & less raw gas igniting in the exhaust pipes (... the loud popping). Does this all sound like good advice to eliminate this problem? If so, can you recommend a particular kit to go with??.. THANKS!

T-boy

Rocker
Maybe you only need a different mapping for the EFI? Unless you want the airbox etc pulled, your dealer's explanation sounds kind of extreme. Then again, I don't have an EFI bike.

jhillier71

Street Tracker
Its all about the remapping that you absolutely need. The stock airbox does not need to get ripped out.

At a minimum you will need to get mapped with the Triumph OffRoad tuning, which any Triumph dealer can upload to your bike in less than 30 mins. Worst case a custom tuning/dyno run is needed (significantly more $$$). The remapping to the Triumph tune is a simple, painless procedure and an absolute for any EFI with after-market pipes.

I ride a 2010 (EFI) Thruxton with BC Predators and a remapping quickly solved the exact problem you are describing.

Last edited:

jhillier71

Street Tracker
+1 with Bonneville09er

I dont have the AI removal kit and dont see any reason to, other than cleaning up the "look" of the bike. If for some reason (re)tuning doesnt cut it there may be an arguement that an AI removal kit would be necessary. This messaging is consistent with what the guys at BC told me...

Heizer

Scooter
Agree with the EFI remap advice. I have a 2009 T100 with EFI, and had this done when I put aftermarket pipes on. Solved the issue.

Stars&Bars

Two Stroke
How much does the dealerships usually charge for the re-map?
After bashing hell outta my stock muffs inards with the piece of rebar, I'm getting the popping on decel and just a touch of what I refer to as notchyness with the throttle at slower speeds. I'm still pleased with the results as far as sound goes and as a side benefit is faster acceleration to the rev limit.
Looking forward to the re-mapping.

On my 09, I installed the BC Sleepers, Air Box removal, and AI removal.
The dealer charged me $50 for the Arrow 2 into 2 tune.
No popping and the performance greatly improved.

MJL1961

Scooter
Thanks Folks!.. Goint to take it in & have it re-mapped this afternoon. I'll let you know the results.

regards,

mjl

benjamindickens

Street Tracker
Thanks Folks!.. Goint to take it in & have it re-mapped this afternoon. I'll let you know the results.

regards,

mjl

Re-Map most definately works and its by far the cheapest option, I agree with all those above my bike does occassionally pop however and I love it anyway it is just unburnt fuel/air mixture but if it annoys you get it done mate. I have considered the AI Airbox removal from BC or Triumph Performance but I cannot justify the expense for not only the kit but a remap dyno adjustment I am not vallintino rossi LOL kindest regards Ben Dickens:headbang2:

MJL1961

Scooter
Took my 2009 T-100 into the dealer this afternoon. Had the ECU remapped to address the decel 'popping' after new performance silencers. The remapping has eliminated the problem... drove the bike hard & runs GREAT This dealer service tech had previously adjusted, cleaned and lubed the chain... total cost: $0.00 . This dealer (Freedom Powersports, Kennesaw, Georgia) is located 1 hour North of Atlanta and has been SUPER to deal with so far. I have purchased some accessories there and will continue to give them my business. Local RAT group meet there each month too.

mjl