2009 Bonneville won't turn on just click sound

Hello,

my 09 bonnie won't turn on every morning. Just clicks once
I been having to jump start it every morning. I thought it was the battery but had it tested and mechanic said it was good. Not sure what to check next?

Once I jumped started it with my car and rode it to work, after work after 8-9 hours it'll turn on just fine no problems. Not sure if weather has anything to do with it but it's been in the 50's here in the morning.
I just bought a voltmeter to test out the charging system but hasn't arrived.

Any advice? please help

Thank you

Update: I tested the charging system today, which is a bit weird. At idle it's at 13-14V when i rev to 3K RPM it actually drops to 12-13V , when bike is off it's at 12.75V
I have no clue, I fully charged the battery last night and now it started up just fine. Ill have to wait and see if it starts doing it again. The battery might be a faulty one or doesn't work in cold weather.

Last edited:

klem

Scooter
Funny i jumped on mine tonight and done exactly the same thing. I put it on the battery tender for a while and boosted the battery enough to get enough charge to fire her up but noticed after sitting for a while that the battery dropped back and went back to the one click problem. To me my battery which is around four years is due to be replaced.
These bikes the EFI ones depend on a fully charged battery to fire up. To me it sounds like battery problems??

I tested the charging system today, which is a bit weird. At idle it's at 13-14V when i rev to 3K RPM it actually drops to 12-13V , when bike is off it's at 12.75V
I have no clue, I fully charged the battery last night and now it started up just fine. Ill have to wait and see if it starts doing it again. The battery might be a faulty one or doesn't work in cold weather.

beemerrich

Street Tracker
Get a new battery. Although the one you have may test fine, it is obviously failing its load test when you push the button after sitting overnight/getting cold.

The stock voltage regulators on these bikes suck. Your test pretty much reflects what many riders have reported, including myself. I binned the stock regulator and fitted a MOSFET regulator off a yamaha...as these don't require a lot of airflow, its now mounted on the back side of the battery box.

Get a new battery. Although the one you have may test fine, it is obviously failing its load test when you push the button after sitting overnight/getting cold.

The stock voltage regulators on these bikes suck. Your test pretty much reflects what many riders have reported, including myself. I binned the stock regulator and fitted a MOSFET regulator off a yamaha...as these don't require a lot of airflow, its now mounted on the back side of the battery box.

You suggest getting a better regulator & battery? or just the regulator and see if that helps the charging system first?

beemerrich

Street Tracker
The battery is what you need...the regulator upgrade is something you might want to research/install if the battery continues to give you issues. There are lots of bikes out there with stock regulators that have gone 10's of thousands of miles without drama.

YMMV,

--Rich

capt

moped
Hi all, all the new fuel injected Triumphs have an ECU stands for engine control unit, the ecu has a voltage sensor, if when you turn the ignition on the ecu senses a voltage below 12.1v it will not allow starter to engage, it is electronically switched out, regardless of what an external volt meter says about voltage. The ecu volt sensor rules, most problems with starting issues are regulator faulty or dying battery.

Just discovered that the relay between the ECU and the Solenoid can fail ( moisture or dirt ) this can cause intermittent failure's to wind over , there fore no starting !
​​​

Last edited: