2007 Bonnie Black Throttle sticking

cynr1023

TT Racer
I've checked the cable, there are no kinks in it. I've opened up the throttle control, there's no excessive rubbing or major contact points.....what next?

Flaco

750cc
Check the side play of the throttle on the handlebar… In other words it should have some side to side play… If not it's binding on the control switch housing…

I believe I'd try harder to help out an 11B, although FT Hood probably means Mechanized. In the 80s I was at FT Ord, home of the 7th Infantry Division, Light Fighters.

I think the problem is in the handlebar control area. If you have made any changes recently, check cable routing and look for binding. Also lube never hurts.

Good luck Troop.

cynr1023

TT Racer
There seems to be movement side to side on the throttle. I'll try lubing it, how the hell do you get the cables out of the "stays" once you open the throttle assembly?

vecchio lupo,
my first 10 years were with 10th Mtn Div, out of Fort Drum. The last ten have been mech, recruiting (escaped in 14 month instead of the 36), and now im doing a stint as a brigade master trainer for a unit that trains and mobilizes the Reserves and Nasty Girls!

beemerrich

Street Tracker
My throttle decided to start hanging up at WOT during, of all times, the tech inspection for a track day I did last fall. Nothing obviously binding, but lots of cable lube and moving the throttle outboard 1/2" freed up the movement. Re-routing didn't cure this and it is apparently an issue with the cable bends & general age of the cables. My bike is an '04, so the ultimate solution will be to spring for new, juicy cables....

--Rich

cynr1023

TT Racer
I pulled the throttle cables out cleaned & lubed them and cleaned the spring "device" on the carbs and am putting them back on now. Seems like everything is slipping and sliding like it should. I do need to replace one of the cables, it's got 2 pieces of the braiding frayed.

Good work, sounds like you got it. I did a few years in The OO career field, mission box is a cruel mistress. Best of luck and stay in as long as you can. I was a 25 year E-7 when I got my appointment to Warrant. Wish I had done it 10 years earlier.

At least you are striking distance to the hill country.

Sinkers

Scooter
Same thing happened me on my 12 reg T100. Was under warranty so brought it back to the dealer.

He asked me "did you wash it with 'Muckoff' by any chance?" Turns out I had.

The blasted stuff got into the throttle housing and dissolved the lubricant giving me a suicide throttle. Nasty but a quick lube did the trick.

Glad you got sorted.

cynr1023

TT Racer
it was funny, as soon as I pulled the cables off they slid smoothly. I had disassembled the throttle assembly and there were no friction points there either. But as I was reassembling everything I would get the stuck throttle problem again. It turned out to be how the throttle cables were fastened to the carbs. The two little "U" shaped brackets that you have a nut on top and bottom of and basically "pinch" lock them into place. I had to futz with them quite a bit until I found the sweet spot that allowed free movement. And at 6'2" & 250# with bear paws for hands, futzing around between two tiny carbs is a pain in the ass! but I got it figured out and finally got them tightened up.
I took the bike for a test ride and it was funny, I've been riding with a sticking throttle (I know, I know, a horrible idea) for over 6 months now and when it was finally working right it felt "weird".