2002 Cobalt Blue Bonneville

Still researching the cobalt blue and found this from the Atlanta show of 2003. White side covers!

attachment.php

Anyone else have 2002 or 2003 T100 in any colour at all with white covers as standard? Really think some artistic licence was used as appears to have chrome fender as well.

Still not sure whether yours has the T100 on the Covers Hick?

Because if it does then I believe triumph called it the saphire blue
2002 and 2003 Triumph info
"Powered by the same specification engine as the more basic Bonneville and running the same sweet-handling chassis, the T100 expands the massively popular Triumph twin range yet further and adds another distinctive styling option for the discerning rider. Beyond that, the T100, in Goodwood Green with Gold infill, or in classic Sapphire Blue with White infill and Red coachline, ensures another great model from Triumph’s illustrious ‘ton-up’ past rides again in style."

Attachments

• 2002-cobalt-blue_atlanta-show.jpg
    2002-cobalt-blue_atlanta-show.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

nachog35

Scooter
JP,
You present a real connundrum, perhaps Ockham's Razor is in effect here and the previous owner swapped for the later T100 tank and fenders?

I am pretty certain that cobalt blue and sapphire blue is the same colour.
Still this colour is not seen very often. But it is an official triumph T100 colour from 2002 (if assuming cobalt and sapphire the same).
But If it is a bon that has had a speedo/tacho unit installed later then it is rare, as that colour was not shown for the 790 Bonneville with speedo unit and polished engine covers (no T100 on side covers)
The picture provided by jp makes it difficult to work out covers details. But I am pretty certain there was no model with white covers. All these mods we do are gonna make it very difficult for future generations, and I can now see why the myth that the 1959 bon had some produced with black toolbox oil box started lol

Last edited:

CapitalT

Scooter
Mines an 04 Blue... not sure if this is Sapphire or Cobalt.

No touchup for triumphs I hear. Is there codes for matching colour or something...

I have a few scratches that need attention.

picture.php

jphickory

Banned
I am the OP of this thread. While looking at a site for Triumph Tiger owners I found this guy that posted a pic of his 2002 Cobalt Blue Bonneville just like mine. Here is what he said about it:

"Triumph does some special colors on stuff every year . Ones that don't get mentioned in the brochures

In 2002 there were three colors of bonnevilles
Sky Blue w/ silver
Green w/silver
and Ugly brick red with silver
But look at the pic........ here is my 2002 Standard Bonneville in 'Cobalt Blue w / silver' from the factory
It was a limited run , something like 250 units and no mention of it in any of the brochures , it had something to do with the Queen' I think ........."

I thought it was kinda interesting. Wonder if the part about the queen is true. Here is the picture he posted.

Attachments

• 100_0527.jpg
    100_0527.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 0

monty

Street Tracker
2002 was the Queens Golden Jubilee. Triumph previously did a Royal Wedding { Charles and Diana} special edition in 1981 and in 1977 using T140's to celebrate the Queens Silver Jubilee, so there could be an element of truth in the colour being significant.
However I don't recall any publicity over here regarding this and it could have been a special edition for the American market.

There's been a bit of flak recently over Triumphs failure to market a special edition to mark the wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton.

See what they do in 2012 when HM The Queen will have been on the throne for sixty years.

re the Cobalt and Sapphire blue. It certainly appears that after the fire at Hinckley the paint supplier was changed from IVC Code T3120300-JJ Cobalt to Dupont code T3120300-JM sapphire

So was probably based on paint being lost in fire and a better price being offered by another paint supplier as I dont believe the colour is at all different

The 02 jubilee was also called cobalt but was a kit to purchase to add to any bike BTW and the tank supplied was different design

triumph-jubilee-kit-2002.jpg

In 2002 there were three colors of bonnevilles
Sky Blue w/ silver
Green w/silver
and Ugly brick red with silver

Its actuually scarlet and IMO The best as it is the one i bought

Last edited:

mikenva

Rocker
The op bike is not saphire blue
my 03 t100 is and its not the same color as his oh by the way my t100 is a 790

jphickory

Banned
The op bike is not saphire blue
my 03 t100 is and its not the same color as his oh by the way my t100 is a 790

You are right Mike - the cobalt and sapphire are different. I'll try and take a picture tommorrow of the tank and post it. My bike is not a T100, just a standard 790 Bonneville, I added the tachometer.

I never said original poster was sapphire bike? I am just saying that the Cobalt appears to have stopped at the same time as the fire happened and all bikes after fire are sapphire regardless whether T100 or stock bon. Never seen two together to see how close colour is and could easily be different for all I know?

Fire was March 15 2002 So would be interested to know if anyone actually has a Cobalt blue after this date (03 onwards)

Or if there are any 01,02 models in Sapphire blue for that matter.

If anyone does it would certainly send that assumption up in flames :)

Last edited:

Stars&Bars

Two Stroke
This is a very cool thread and has been interesting. Thanks JP!
I believe my Bonnie Black is one of those limited run sub-models too, it was built in May 2008 and is a 2009 EFI and looks like a T100 when all other Black models in the brouchures have straight exhaust, flat seat, mag wheels, and stickers for tank emblems.
I guess it being an oddball should add at least a million bucks to it's value, seems like it does that to oddball/misprinted coins soooooo, if I hold on to this bike for the next hundred years, keep the mileage fairly low, my grandchildren should be able to.............
Keep mileage low??? RIGHT, Like thats gonna happen!

jphickory

Banned
Couple pictures of the tank from my 2002 Bonneville in Cobalt Blue and Silver that is was produced by Triumph-Hinckley in November 2001. Like previously posted, this color combination never showed on any factory literature and I suspect there was a only a short run before the factory burned March 2002. I have read of three other bikes of this year and color on the net - if anybody else has one let me know.

Attachments

• Bonneville 004.jpg
    Bonneville 004.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Bonneville 001.jpg
    Bonneville 001.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 0