$20 horsepower

drlapo

Hooligan
I just bought a "rev box" (ignition unit) for $20 on eBay for my 05 Thruxton. It claims to increase RPM, improve horsepower and improve MPG. If I test it and supply the manufacturers my review within 48 hours they will refund the purchase price. Sounds like a win win situation I will let you know how it goes

Last edited:

Bonafide

NBR founder
That's very cool drlapo - we love Dyno testing!! From my understanding - on the Thrux - the only benefit with the aftermarket ignition boxes is the 3 deg of adv timing it gives. The raised RPM limit is useless for the Thrux cause it already has a higher limit than the Bonnie.

But for $20 ... sounds like a deal any way you slice it.

MOSES

750cc
get to cookin, 48 hrs comes quick ! I try and stay away from $20 HP on ebay so I am curious...

drlapo

Hooligan
I checked ProCom's website; they are a Chinese manufacuter of many items: a bespoke job shop
they make many ignition items for boats, motorcycles and ATVs but ther is little infomation on the website as to the benefits of their products
a modern "CDI" box is cheap and easy to make so they probably do a bunch of OEM stuff too
I'll try it today and let yu know what happens

drlapo

Hooligan
Here is what one of the websites says

2004 - 2007 Triumph Motorcycle: Bonneville Thruxton High Performance CDI REV BOX

This Re-engineered CDI ( REV BOX) boosts your RPM level by 600!! Timing curves have been change, which will allow you leave all your friends in the dust! Increase your horsepower by 3 - 4!

You will be impressed with the performance of this unit!!

***Increases 600rpm only, 1000rpm will break the piston valve spring.

Features
• Re-mapped Timing Curves
• Higher Rev Limit
• Overrides for full performance at all times
• Increased Spark Energy
• Improved Throttle Response
• Easier Starting
• Easy Plug-In Module Replacement (Estimated time 5 mins)

break the piston valve spring? Now I am worried, I didn't even know I had piston valve springs

My trumpet has piston valve springs.Maybe dizzy Gillespie can get it going 8000 rpm,but I can't.

The only piston valve springs on your bike are in the master cylinders.If you get those spinning any RPM at all,you're in a world of pain.

I sure hope that $20.00 whiz-bang gadget doesn't decide to take a shit on you 200 miles from home.

drlapo

Hooligan
The Internet is full of both praises and damnations for this product
some claim it's unreliable, some claim it's very reliable. Some claim they can feel a definite improvement in response and torque, while others notice no difference at all
they have been a hot item for pit bike racers and ATV riders for years
both eBay and the Web are full of offers for them at prices ranging between 100 and $200
I am going to give it a try, but will keep the stock box handy just in case
new Bonneville.com offers the same product for $180
I just hope that it does not go "BANG"

Bonafide

NBR founder
I've had one on my Silver bonnie for a couple years. Never swapped it around with a stock unit to see what (if any) gains were gotten by using it .. but I do like the higher rpm limit.

The Internet is full of both praises and damnations for this product,some claim it's unreliable, some claim it's very reliable.................

One nice thing about solid state stuff,if it's going to be short lived,it usually fries within the first few minutes.At least you won't have a long push.

That new advance curve should give you more snap off the bottom,but you might need to raise your needles,or re-jet, to take full advantage of it.

Interested to hear how it does.

mikenva

Rocker
The Internet is full of both praises and damnations for this product
some claim it's unreliable, some claim it's very reliable. Some claim they can feel a definite improvement in response and torque, while others notice no difference at all
they have been a hot item for pit bike racers and ATV riders for years
both eBay and the Web are full of offers for them at prices ranging between 100 and $200
I am going to give it a try, but will keep the stock box handy just in case
new Bonneville.com offers the same product for $180
I had one for about a year till it broke when it was working it ran ok .I dont think its as well made as the stock box.I cant say the timing curve helped my bike much,mine is a 03 790 .I am running a 865 stock box now it runs good and can go over 8000rpm.But hell as cheap you got it you cant go wrong.

drlapo

Hooligan
I tested the new box yesterday and today

my bike is an 05 Thruxton

125 main jets

40 pilot jets

1/2mm shim under each needle

2 3/4 turns on the air mix screw

89 octane Mobil gas

EPCO peashooter mufflers

air box snorkel removed, UNI filter

Polaris bell mouth

air injection removed

first test 62F and 90%RH 2nd test 76F @ 53%RH

test with stock box 5th gear roll on at 45mph terminal speed 62mph@ 340ft

roll-on @ 50mph=83mph @ 500 ft

test with Procom box @45 mph =62 mph

@50 =83mph too close to call

the bike was idling at 1000 rpm with the stock box. It was a little cold blooded

when I installed the Procom box, idle speed rose to 1300 rpm, a 30% increase. The idle was noticeably smoother with the Procom box

the bike seemed to warm up, much quicker or at least I was able to ride it without choke much sooner

although I was unable to objectively measure any increase in performance subjectively the throttle response felt more eager or quicker. The motor pulled much stronger from low rpm: 2500 rpm. I was unable to detect any difference over 5000 rpm. It definitely pulled cleaner in the 2500 - 5000 rpm range almost like it had received a fresh tune up or the carburetion was spot on

I like it; At the very least, it's an inexpensive alternative to the stock part

there was no detonation or pinging with either the stock or Procom box. I will leave the Procom box installed as the bike just feels better

Last edited:

Bonafide

NBR founder
All I see is you measuring the bike's speed? ie: 62 mph?

did you not put this on a real dynometer?

The snappier throttle response you're feeling is the effects of 3 deg adv timing.

drlapo

Hooligan
all tests were subjective
no access to a dyno or even a friend with a stop watch
the manufaturer is refunding the $20 purchase price in exchange for my "report" if I submit my "findings" within 48 hours
so its not $20 HP; its free HP or free something

drlapo

Hooligan
When I was racing Bultacos back in the 70s I found that they did run much better and were much snappier if I advanced the timing few degrees. The bikes use a flywheel magneto so the timing was fixed
maybe the Procom box is doing something very similar