1087 SFS Up and running

Vendor
what are those little short things next to the wrist pins?

Those are the wrist pin buttons Jeff, a wrist pin with floating buttons at each end
Since I use an stroker crank, the piston is offset to compensate for the longer stroke allowing the use of stock length rods, the buttons also let me use the oil ring controller as well.

Vendor
WOW, awsome Carlos. I wonder who's head that is. FREDDY

Good that you ask me Fred!
I will tell you a little secret :shh:, the cylinder head was done by a guy in Georgia with immense talent and know how, that fucker( the cylinder head) flows like no tomorrow.
The potential of this motor is huge , thanks to the head work.
I'm absolutely delighted with the results:cheer:
PS:
answering your questions the head guru name is Fred Hether.
Wait a minute that's you:worthy:

Bottle_Fed

Two Stroke
You should get some elbow grease on those chambers and exhaust ports Carlos :p

Picture004-1.jpg

Picture008.jpg

Looks great man, can't wait to see how it runs when it all comes together.

Greg

mikenva

Rocker
lol theres more then elbow grease on those exhaust ports .LOL freddy i bet i see something they dont .Wonder what that chalky look is lol umm think i have seen that before lol.Nice looking work fred.

Vendor
lol theres more then elbow grease on those exhaust ports .LOL freddy i bet i see something they dont .Wonder what that chalky look is lol umm think i have seen that before lol.Nice looking work fred.

You have a good eye Eagle Mike:)
Seriously he does a terrific work, a lot of hours but it really worth!

agro

Scooter
Agro, I guess Im off. This guy is out of control and hates thr truth. I feel sorry for those guys who dont know any better ,who listen to all the bull he gives out.Most of all the trash talk,why?????????. FREDDY

Fred, how can you reason with a man who solely advocates the removal of the balance shafts and the camshaft backlask gears?? Fair enough, you would get a great deal of reduction in reciprocating weight, but you would need a shitload of mallory metal to balance up the crank to somewhere half decent, also the noise and chatter from removing the cam backlash gears must be awefull.
Check out these interesting links;

http://www.dinamoto.it/DINAMOTO/on-line papers/twin motors/twin.html

http://www.dinamoto.it/DINAMOTO/on-line papers/bilanciamento4cil/4_engines.htm

http://www.dinamoto.it/DINAMOTO/on-line papers/risuonatore/risuonatore.html

http://www.dinamoto.it/DINAMOTO/on-line papers/papers_on_line2005.html

http://www.xs650.org.au/vtwin.html

http://www.xs650.org.au/smoothness.htm

fwiw, I removed my backlash gears, the only downside was a little noise, and I think it sounds cool, kinda like solid lifters on a muscle car.

Vendor
fwiw, I removed my backlash gears, the only downside was a little noise, and I think it sounds cool, kinda like solid lifters on a muscle car.

I did the same with mine, easier to replace cams when you do racing, since I don't race I can take the time to replace cams with backlash gears on. It also been said by "I know Everything" that increases the power because of less mass, but the dyno showed me identical numbers with gears on and off.
I agree about the solid lifters sound, its really cool Jeff!

mikenva

Rocker
i had the cam gears both ways they dont help or hurt i put mine back on.I didnt like the sound.As far as the crank goes takeing the balance shafts out works good argo most motors dont have them .The only thing they help with is at very low rpm(like at idle) at 2500 rpm + my bike is smoother then stock ,stock motors are not balanced that well,they use the shafts as a cheap fix .they allso use them on some lawn mower motors thy make it rev slower and allso slow down slower .with out the shafts it feels more like a old twin or HD at idle thats kinda cool

Last edited:

Bottle_Fed

Two Stroke
I have both shafts and backlash gears out of mine, no complaints here, I love the sound and vibes. I would say that while you don't get any hp gain out of removing the gears, it does provide less reciprocating mass for the valvetrain, which would help the engine spin faster. Mine will go to 9k faster than you can think about shifting, even faster on the gas.

Greg

Vendor
i had the cam gears both ways they dont help or hurt i put mine back on.I didnt like the sound.As far as the crank goes takeing the balance shafts out works good argo most motors dont have them .The only thing they help with is at very low rpm(like at idle) at 2500 rpm + my bike is smoother then stock ,stock motors are not balanced that well,they use the shafts as a cheap fix .they allso use them on some lawn mower motors thy make it rev slower and allso slow down slower .with out the shafts it feels more like a old twin or HD at idle thats kinda cool

I have both shafts and backlash gears out of mine, no complaints here, I love the sound and vibes. I would say that while you don't get any hp gain out of removing the gears, it does provide less reciprocating mass for the valvetrain, which would help the engine spin faster. Mine will go to 9k faster than you can think about shifting, even faster on the gas.

Greg

The crank on my 1087 motor is fully balanced in order to run the motor with not counter balancers, since I still use it , the motor is super smooth with no vibrations at all.
I like the fact that the bike is an sleeper, it's impossible to detect that there is some serious gear inside the motor.
I like to finish the present stage and see what the dyno tells, then maybe in the future I will take the balancers out.
At this point I giving away a lot with the stock CDI, no revs and advance timing, we all know that this big motors needs more RPM's and timing.
Nevertheless it will be nice if one day all of us has a get together to chat about our toys.

mikenva

Rocker
hey carlos you know you can get about 2 or 3 more deg timeing if you open the slots in the pick up coil and advance it ,You cant move it to far becaue the bracket are thin around the screws ,thats something else i hope to make up this winter aa more adj bracket for the pick up and a test cover with a hole i can use the timing light on to see where its fireing,hell there are so many things we need for these bikes.

Vendor
hey carlos you know you can get about 2 or 3 more deg timeing if you open the slots in the pick up coil and advance it ,You cant move it to far becaue the bracket are thin around the screws ,thats something else i hope to make up this winter aa more adj bracket for the pick up and a test cover with a hole i can use the timing light on to see where its fireing,hell there are so many things we need for these bikes.

I hear about it, but I never tried Mike, but definitely I will give it a try and see how it works.
The Turbo bike has a window in the timing cover to check the timing with the timing light, but advance timing in no a problem on that one because of the FI management system.

agro

Scooter

Greg

Greg, did BP balance up the crank, got any pics of the balanced crank?