100 yards LATER

Texas94fs

Hooligan
Well it's been raining across texas the past few days and apparently that means douche bag construction workers don't want to put up appropriate signage because they must be afraid to get wet. I managed to find a nice stretch of unpaved rutted up mud road at about 50-60 mph directly after a sharp curve. .. . .twat waffles. . The pavement ends sign was about 100 yards AFTER the pavement ended instead of before the turn.

Managed to straighten the bike up in time, and not wreck, and coasted down to a manageable speed in the muck but it was definitely a butt puckering moment.

Damage : Headers need to be removed and re painted, front right turn signal is done, and im still waiting to see if i got grit between the brakes and pads but the rotors seem to have lots of grooves now and don't feel right. OF course this will also require me to re-grease all the electrical connections and about 6-8 hours of cleaning

DSC01437.jpg

DSC01438.jpg

DSC01439.jpg

DSC01440.jpg

DSC01441.jpg

DSC01442.jpg

FrankieD

Scooter
Ain't that beeeyotch?!?! You don't think that will just wash off? Why the need to repaint the headers? Rattle can job? The turn signal short out or break?

First off, glad to hear you weren't seriously hurt.

I'd get in my car; take my digital camera with me to shoot some photos in regard to where the signage is in relation to the end of the paved road and blind curve. Once I've got photos in my hand, I'd be filing a claim with the DOT. I once cracked my BBS rims on my VW GTI from hitting a spot where grooved road met with pavement. Usually they put in a patch to make the transition smooth, but nope. It was like hitting a sharp edge at 65 mph. Granted they were hairline cracks and the rims were still very useable, but fuck, I just dumped $1500.00 on those rims. I was reimbursed the cost of replacing both front rims.

Good luck,
Chris

MES

750cc
I'd get in my car; take my digital camera with me to shoot some photos in regard to where the signage is in relation to the end of the paved road and blind curve. Once I've got photos in my hand, I'd be filing a claim with the DOT.
yep, and the contracter. For every nick and scratch.

I'm not a big one on sueing but this really is a safety issue and maybe next time they actually engage their brain.

damn that sucks. I ran into a similar situ on 337 about 2 years ago. Luckily I didn't suffer any damage other than sucking a 3" circle of seat cover up my ass.

That could have been a lot worse. Count your blessings!

koifarm

Hooligan
Ouch! Glad you're okay and escaped serious injury....must have been a helluva 30 seconds of adrenaline rush.....
Plus 10 on the DOT, although difficult a good lawyer could take them to the dance.
The Contractor would likely be named in the lawsuit as well and since you did relatively minor damage, an out of court settlement is quite possible.
Do take the pictures, I agree with Blues on that one...hopefully they haven't moved the sign yet.
Actually I won a decision on a speeding ticket because of a misplacement of a speed zone sign.
Here's the link to the Texas Uniform Traffic Control regs.
http://www.txdot.gov/txdot_library/publications/tmutcd.htm
Go there and find out what statute applies to the signage that was faulty and caused your accident and go from there, if you think you have a violation, then take the UTC printout to a lawyer and see if he's interested.
Good luck man, hope you get it resolved.

koifarm

Hooligan
Follow up

Just off the top of my head and with a quick look it appears that this section is what you want to look at.

Section 2C.06 Horizontal Alignment Signs (W1-1 through W1-5, W1-11, W1-11T W1-15T)

but there may be other sections that apply as well...

Bonafide

NBR founder
Was it so muddy that it tore the front fender (aka: Mud Guard) off ... or did you remove that yourself?

Get some warm water and soap ... it should clean up just fine.

:lol:

mikenva

Rocker
Alot of that will wash off take pic of it then wash it as soon as you can the longer it stays on the harder it will be to get off.

07black&red

Two Stroke
Twat Waffle!!!!! ha ha ha ha! He said twat waffle!!! brat mopple, shot topple, caught dopple, Don Cheedle in a jet black beetle. Sorry folks, twat waffle hit my funny bone for some reason

pretty funny he's running fenderless and bitching about his bike getting dirty, just sayin

:pick: :stupid::loser::poke::kewl::stupid3::lol2::wtf: :attn: :eek:wned:

DandyDoug

750cc
Looks like the end of a perfect day's ride to me. Mine gets pretty dirty if we explore some back roads that turn into dirt here in NC.
Sucks that the road workers snookered you with their laziness though.
A little soap and water will make it all pretty again.

kinky stunt

Street Tracker
Steve McQueen Award goes to...

At least you can be encouraged by your riding skills. I would have left a much more noticible stain on that seat. I'm diggin' the mud splatter on the headlight bucket.

Gretsch

Rocker
Glad to hear you weren't hurt! As far as the damage think of it like Slap Shot when Walt Comisky takes a sledge hammer to the bus to make it look mean. ...

Seriously, your bike looks awesome and I hope you get her back to where you want. I bet most of the damage is something only you would notice.

six by six

Two Stroke
So you rode in the mud and got a muddy bike. Congratulations! Take a hose to it. I rode this morning in the rain and my bike is filthy too. Shit happens, no need to try and sue the contractor. Road conditions will never be perfect.

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
So you rode in the mud and got a muddy bike. Congratulations! Take a hose to it. I rode this morning in the rain and my bike is filthy too. Shit happens, no need to try and sue the contractor. Road conditions will never be perfect.

+1 on that. Wash yer bike and get over it. Nowhere in the code does it say that DOT is supposed to keep your vehicle from getting dirty. You were going 60 right *after* a sharp turn on an unknown road in the rain and mud? Lucky thing your moronity didn't get you kilt.