09 SE Bonny Debaffle Pics!

MuckSavage

Scooter
Doing my 500 mile service today on my 09 SE, and I bit the bullet and did a bafflectomy. And from what I've read, they share the same pipes as the Thruxton. I loved the sound of my Bonny, but it was too quiet, and not deep enough. This solved both problems quite well. I am not terribly mechanically inclined, and even I did this without a hitch. (I had my dad watching over me to make sure I didn't mess up, though.)

The tools I used were:

-Up to 7/8" step bit.
I assume you could easily use a hole saw, but the step bit worked perfectly. I just went slow, and basically stopped when the thing got stuck. It went all of the way to the end of the bit. The bad part is the price. I think that bit was around 60 bucks retail.

-Magnetized wand
Forgot to take a pic of it, but it was just to remove bits of metal from the pipe afterwards. Worked like a charm.

-Pair of needle nose to remove the baffle and stuffing.

Pics!

Here is the bit I used:

bitused.jpg

Shot of the tailpipe unaltered:

baffleoriginal.jpg

Shot of the right hand pipe after I drilled it out, and removed the stuffing.

baffleout.jpg

Shot of the left hand pipe.

leftbaffleout.jpg

Shot of what I pulled out of the pipe, there was only a bit of stuffing, some shavings and the center pipe.

bafflebits.jpg

Rear shot after it was done, looks fairly clean to me. Cleaned up the edges of the inside with a file to get the big burrs.

rearshot.jpg

And some shots of my girl up on the lift :)

bonnylift2.jpg

bonnylift1.jpg

And that's it! The sound is a lot deeper! The idle hasn't changed much, but it sounds great when you rev it and pops nicely on deceleration. Solved my one gripe about an otherwise awesome bike. And did it cheap too.

I made a couple of sound clips, but recorded it with my iPhone, so it doesn't sound great, but it gives an idea of the difference. Also, not sure if this will work, but here goes.

Stock pipes:
http://files.me.com/jon.koenig/vq7yi4.mov

Debaffled:
http://files.me.com/jon.koenig/vdgzpz.mov

koifarm

Hooligan
You might want to blow off the wheels and rims with an airgun, those metal flakes go everywhere and can cause miniature spots of rust.