07 Bonneville cutting out when stationary

Keith Harding

Two Stroke
My Bonnie has developed this new problem since I was pranged by a little old lady a few months back and then had the bike repaired.
The problem seems to be pretty well confined to when the tank is less than half full - I'll be stationary at the lights and the bike will just cut out - no warning, just stop. It will also happen as I drop the bike into first gear when taking off from stationary - it will just die. It's a bit embarrasing when you've weaved your way to the front of a line of traffic and then stall at the traffic lights - pretty uncool.
So over the Christmas break (pretty damn hot here in Australia) I pulled the tank off, emptied it out, rinsed and thoroughly dried it. I checked the tank breather hose and it didn't seem completely clear but it didn't seem terribly obstructed either. Fuel cap looks good too.
Any ideas guys?
:eek:wned:

Motley

750cc
If it gradually (cuts out) dies, it's most likely a fuel issue. If it suddenly (cuts out) dies, it's more likely an electrical issue.

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
..over the Christmas break (pretty damn hot here in Australia) I pulled the tank off, emptied it out, rinsed and thoroughly dried it...

OK that was last week. Problem still exist?

If it does, and is highly correlated with starting from a stop, might be a short or flaw in the clutch/kickstand switch circuit - you drop it into gear and it thinks the stand is down with clutch out, so kills motor.

78gold

Two Stroke
Cutting out

I also have an 07 Bonnie in Aus (Sydney) and it has the exact same issue.
It runs smoothly on take off and accelleration, doesnt seem to miss on decelleration either, however when stationary at lights etc (esp when engine hot) it cuts out. Not a sputter just stops. Almost seems that one cylinder doesnt fire and at low rpm this is enough to stall engine.

The intermittent miss may be there under load but it is not noticeable.

I have checked side stand (Due to a previous ignition issue) and the idle is right although if I hold it cracked on a bit at lights it doesnt stall but I have felt the "miss" that way.

Was out on weekend and whilst riding no issues, as soon as I get to a set of lights, stop sign etc where I idle you can be certain it will stall, every time.

So guys and gals I am very interested in finding out what is causing this as well.

By the way my previous issue with the ignition switch has been solved with the Naarva forklift ignition switch, works beautifull and only cost $30 instead of nearly $300 and 5 weeks for OEM.

Keith Harding

Two Stroke
It's getting worse...
Stalled twice this morning at the same set of lights. So... before breaking out the tools and hurting myself I called my friendly local dealer. He said to start by nudging up the idle setting as the idle can diminish between sevices.
78Gold, I'll give this a go this evening and let you know how my commute goes tomorrow.

Motley

750cc
I'm thinking you guys need to test the ignition coil. It's a known problem area on these machines.

Chris in NC

Street Tracker
I don't know if you figured it out yet, but it seems that all '07s do that. Mine did, until I cranked the idle up to 1,500 RPMs, then no stalling.

I've been told that the problem is in the igniter. I honestly don't know, but I no longer have that issue since I changed the idle revs.

Wheelhorse

Scooter
I also have an 07 Bonnie in Aus (Sydney) and it has the exact same issue.
It runs smoothly on take off and accelleration, doesnt seem to miss on decelleration either, however when stationary at lights etc (esp when engine hot) it cuts out. Not a sputter just stops. Almost seems that one cylinder doesnt fire and at low rpm this is enough to stall engine.

The intermittent miss may be there under load but it is not noticeable.

I have checked side stand (Due to a previous ignition issue) and the idle is right although if I hold it cracked on a bit at lights it doesnt stall but I have felt the "miss" that way.

Was out on weekend and whilst riding no issues, as soon as I get to a set of lights, stop sign etc where I idle you can be certain it will stall, every time.

So guys and gals I am very interested in finding out what is causing this as well.

By the way my previous issue with the ignition switch has been solved with the Naarva forklift ignition switch, works beautifull and only cost $30 instead of nearly $300 and 5 weeks for OEM.

Have you checked the CDI unit under the seat to see if there are signs of rubbing on it?

Keith Harding

Two Stroke
Removed, cleaned and dried the fuel tank.
Good point - didn't check the filter - will put on my 'to do' list.
No sign at all of any presssure on CDI unit.

Twodogs

Street Tracker
Must be an Aussie thing because my 06 does the same thing. I have owned it since 7K and it now has 20k. Even after having the carbs done, fitted pods, different pipes and jets, it still does it. I have cranked up the idle to were I am happy but it still does it. I was going to take it back to the shop just to mention it and see what they say. It is only every now and then but it will definitely happen if idling at the lights for just that bit too long, never knowing when "bit too long" actually is until it stops...starts no problem though. My 05 Thruxton doesn't do it and it is pretty much the same set up, pipes, pods and jets. On my 06 I did relocate the ignition module from under the seat because I was having cutting out problems while riding and I pointed the cause to the module plug being to close to the seat. This has stopped the riding cut out problem but the idle cut out problem still persists which makes me wonder if the module is still an issue because I have read many problems regarding these on this site. I am thinking about swapping modules over to see if the problem swaps as well. Cheers TD