#¤&/% exhaust studs!

ivar

TT Racer
well,
bought a set of 904 jugs/pistons from mrt202, and today I sent my cams to TPUSA.

So last night i sprayed the exhaust nuts/studs with penetrating oil so it could work for 24 h before attempting anything. And tonight I tried loosening one nut ,very gently. - And the damn stud broke off 3/8" inside the head like it was made of cheese! Arggh!

Just venting a bit... before attempting the last bolts I'm gonna get me a bottle of that "freeze-shock" penetrating oil and hope I'll have better luck.

koifarm

Hooligan
Might help to warm them up a bit with a torch...not enough to melt the fins but warm the entire area up and then apply the pen oil....might work...

mark66

TT Racer
And so the winter work on the bike mods begins :mad2:. Hope the rest of the job goes a little easier.

strokerlmt

Ivar......that sucks.....I agree with the slight heating first.
I changed my header flange nuts for stainless, washers and lock washers. I find the stock cheapo nuts just seize up.
good luck with all the goodies......
LMT

Good luck. I broke an exhaust stud a couple of years ago and had no luck getting it out. I hate to be negative but I doubt you'll get it out.

I had to get with a machinist with a Spark Eroder to cut it out. It wasn't a big deal, other than having to remove the head!

Your best bet is to soak it in penetrating oil as long as you can stand (a few days or a week) then go at it with some left-handed drill bits. Beyond that, find a machine shop.

TheFixer

Two Stroke
I broke a stud last year when I pulled my headers to have them coated. I had only tried penetrating oil on it too. It was able to get the broken piece out with heat and an extractor bit. The other three came right off with a little heat first.

T-boy

Rocker
That really bites, ivar. I guess you can take some solace that you're in good company. Hope it works out for you.

ivar

TT Racer
Your best bet is to soak it in penetrating oil as long as you can stand (a few days or a week) then go at it with some left-handed drill bits. Beyond that, find a machine shop.

thanks guys,
head's going off anyway, so when I eventually get it off (hopefully without breaking more stuff) , i'm gonna put it upright so the bolt hole will stay soaked for a couple days.

As for the machine shops around here, they're more used to work on CAT D9's and big trucks :D
(But I've got some buddies to ask for help, I think I'll be fine.9

ivar

TT Racer
BTW Sweat,
when you first put on your 904, didn't you get lots of extra work b/c of some minor mishap?

ivar

TT Racer
Got out the rest last night. Soaked the remaining bolts with this spray: The other stud on the mag side came out too, while both nuts on the clutch side came off with minimal effort.
P1000849.JPG

Looking at the studs, I'm kinda confused. One is rusty at the end, the other is not. And they're the exact same lenght. Looks like the first was broken already.

BTW - also loosened the head nuts - those required some grunt to break loose!
P1000851.JPG

P1000858.JPG

sportyone

Street Tracker
Got out the rest last night. Soaked the remaining bolts with this spray: The other stud on the mag side came out too, while both nuts on the clutch side came off with minimal effort.
P1000849.JPG

Looking at the studs, I'm kinda confused. One is rusty at the end, the other is not. And they're the exact same lenght. Looks like the first was broken already.

BTW - also loosened the head nuts - those required some grunt to break loose!
P1000851.JPG

P1000858.JPG

God, look at the condition of those studs, never clean the bike huh ? :shh:

Grassy53

Scooter
Mate ,checked out your picture of the studs and was wondering where the hell have you been riding that thing. then realised Norway! I guess its understandable with the corrosion we get in sunny Australia. More moisture = more corrosion, you did well to get them out.

ivar

TT Racer
the last ride of the season - and then it got below freezing so I didn't get to wash the bike like intended.
P1000782.JPG

ivar

TT Racer
yeah I wonder what they've put on that stretch - slick as snot yet stuck like glue. As i found out when I came powering along and the bike suddenly were all over the place.
When dry, its hard as concrete.