Front Suspension Questions

dbacher06

Scooter
A few questions. I do 99% of my riding in the mountains. I don't pussy foot around up there either. I am looking to switch out both front and rear suspension.

First question; does changing out the front fork springs make a huge improvement in handling? Second question; do you recommend the IKON springs or the Hagon Springs? Those are the only 2 I have seen offered.

On the rear suspension I do not want piggy backs, no need for them. What are the best shocks for the money, IKON, Hagon, YSS, Ohlins, etc...

Thanks guys. This forum is a great place for us rockers to get real life feedback from others.

JimVonBaden

Street Tracker
I have hagon rear shocks and Progressive front springs. I love the Hagons, and love the price. If you want better you should go with the Ohlins for top of the line IMHO!

As for the fork springs, I guess it depends on who you ask. I usually like the progressives, but have not dialed mine in yet.

Jim :cool:

MES

750cc
First question; does changing out the front fork springs make a huge improvement in handling? Second question; do you recommend the IKON springs or the Hagon Springs? Those are the only 2 I have seen offered.
yes.
you have 4 other options:
single rate springs w/wo EMUs from Traxxon or Race Tech
2 single rate with a crossover from Works Performance
internal swap from an R1 or R3
Intiminator inertia fork valves from Ricor Shocks.

On the rear suspension I do not want piggy backs, no need for them. What are the best shocks for the money, IKON, Hagon, YSS, Ohlins, etc...
Ohlin is the HOT name and they make a great shock. YSS is not well known outside Asia and the Pasific rim but have been around a long time in the scooter/lightweight game. Good price/features fully rebuildable. Works Perf is also a good shock is fully rebuildable and is made custom for you.

You may or may not want to increase the shock lenght (Thrux lenght if your on a Bonnie) to quicken up the steering a bit.
and/or go with an 18" front wheel. If you can get ahold of the new Thrux triples then so much the better.

I'm on Works Perf front and back. It's a good compromise setup. soft enough so you don't get pounded but firm enough to more than handle the kinks.
I use the bike for canyon bombing and short stints on the freeway.

do the front and back at the same time as mismatched suspentions can be dangerous.

ggRAT

Street Tracker
Ohlins 36E

On the rear, I've got the Ohlins 36E's (TR326) on the rear and they work great. However I can't compare them to stock because I've had them from "day 1."

You ought to give Ohlins USA a call. Their US headquarters are only 200 miles from you in Hendersonville, NC. Maybe they'll give you a "personal fitting."

http://www.ohlins.com/Our-products/Motorcycle/Products/Sport/TR-326/

I've got the Dual-Rate Works Suspension on the front end, also from Day 1.
http://worksperformance.com/html/street.html

GREG

Last edited:

MES

750cc
I recommend Öhlins! But it should be said - I'm from Sweden ;P
Hejsan, hur ledget?
Raask bars and rearsets then?

where in Swedan?
me. Ingaro (sorry, my keyboard ain't got no dots) 3 years. Big fun in a Swedish kind of way.

nigel

Scooter
Hi, I recently won some Hagon fork springs on ebay.
Came in a "Hagon" box ref: Triumph Bonneville (908 MD) on end of box.

I've taken out one of the original fork springs and its exactly the same length as the ebay one although the coil is wound tighter at one end.
Have I been "had" or are they meant to be the same length as std?
Cheers Nige

rodburner

Rocker
They are the same length as stock.They called for 20w oil also,but I found they rode like a hay wagon.Just try the stock oil until you save up again to buy the Ikon's. [just my opinion,as I canned [gave away]the Hagon's in favor of the Ikon's,due to a MUCH better ride]

Last edited:

strokerlmt

I have the ohlins.....with stock springs + RICOR's which Brian at RICOR helped me to tune in. I also have a folf brace which I like very much....
LMT

do the front and back at the same time as mismatched suspentions can be dangerous.

I'm not with you on that. I always do one thing at a time and feel my way. Do a couple of things at the same time and if one is incorrect it can be confusing.

It's simple

Ricor intiminators on front. Stay with the stock springs and follow the directions exactly during installation. Replace the rear shock with any good quality one, I went with hagon because of $$$$$$. This will transform the Bonneville's ride and handling.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
I've got the kawasaki something or others on the back (piggy back shocks). They are thruxton length and have made a night and day difference. I got the Ricor emulators and just had them dealer installed cuz I'm lazy. Not really able to see if they help yet, but it's got to be better than the clunk, clunk I get going over chuckholes.

nigel

Scooter
Thanks for all your replys,
I'm gonna try the Hagon springs now that I've got em, (Maybe save up for the Ricors).
I also have some hagon short shocks(little leg syndrome) which I intend to fit just as soon as this weather improves here in England.
I used to ride around on Kawasaki 500 triples and other, Ahem...."interesting handling" bikes so I might not notice much difference.
Cheers to you all.
Nige

nigel

Scooter
Ricor intiminators on front. Stay with the stock springs and follow the directions exactly during installation. Replace the rear shock with any good quality one, I went with hagon because of $$$$$$. This will transform the Bonneville's ride and handling.

Thanks for all the advice, but I'm trying to do this on a very low budget.
(hence ebay)I realise you do generaly get what you pay for.
Just frightened myself with the price of Ricors ,but when I win the lottery I'm like to get a pair of the rear shocks on their homepage, they're a work of art,metal sculpture,beautiful.
Just gotta hang on tighter for the time being.
Cheers
Nige