Scrambler Gel Seat Questions

taw1126

Scooter
I'm not having any luck getting a seat I like. My bike came with the solo seat & rack, which is comfortable but doesn't match the late '60's look (to me, anyway).

From there I went to a standard Bonnie seat...looks more like the old bikes, but it's not very comfortable because there's a dip/well that my ass just doesn't want to fit into. If the seat was flat and I could move back about an inch or two everything would be fine.

So now I'm looking at the standard "surfboard" seat, and probably the gel version of it. But I don't want to throw more money at this problem if the flat-looking seat has the same seat pan and won't let me slide back like I want to.

So...can you guys tell me if the regular Scrambler seat has thehump/dip/well in the seat pan? Also, I saw a 2010 Scrambler and the seat had the old-style gold Triumph logo on it. Is that how the new ones are shipping?

I personally dont find any difference in the comfort level of the standard bon or scrambler gel seat. In fact what I do find is that the flat scrambler gel seat in hot temperatures retains its heat and is then less comfortable as I end up with a wet arse. But i can tell you the scrambler seat does not have the dip as it is flat. And am pretty sure the new models do come with the gold logo on the back. Check out the official seat thread here as the Burton seat looks like it would be very comfortable and appears to have extra padding, as well as would suit the scrambler (tho does have hump).

I guess you really need something more like the original seat (see pic)

re throwing more money at problem. I reckon, once you find seat you like. You could easily find someone to do a swap on this site, as a lot of guys are after the single seat with rack. And have ended up with a few different seats like yrself (me included).

Attachments

• Trophy-scrambler.jpg
    Trophy-scrambler.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

koifarm

Hooligan
I'd maybe consider a straight swap, 07 stock seat here...gold Triumph on it...seat is clean....and has a nice depression from my ass....so it's broke in just right....lol...

gcrider

Street Tracker
If you do end up wanting a gel seat, I've got one I'd sell. I took the stocker and had Sargent rework it. If you decide to go that way PM me and maybe we can work a deal. The gel seat was OK for me. I didn't notice it getting hot. I just decided I wanted something different.

The gel seat was OK for me. I didn't notice it getting hot.

The temps we have been having are around 44 (around 110f) And maybe because it is a flat surface with no stitchings that may be reason. As I said I only notice it retaind the heat in high temps, and just use my stock seat if going on a long ride on those days. One advantage of having the extender bolts.
Taw
Have you also thought about getting your stock seat reworked with similar design to a Trophy?

wiseanhyzer

Two Stroke
Have you looked at these seats? LINK

CIMG1918.jpg

PHTO0251.JPG

They are expensive. But they look very traditional. Comfortable too from what I hear.

Bellacorse has some similar seats too.

taw1126

Scooter
Yes, I did look at those. In addition to being expensive, they look like they're "sculpted" about the same as the factory Bonnie seat, which I'm afraid would keep me shoved up against the tank.

I think I'm going to depart from the traditional look a little and get a gel version of the Thruxton seat. It looks like it has about the same front-to-back depth as the solo seat, lets me add a pillion if wanted, and can give me a different look by adding on a body-colored seat cowl.

In the end, I might end up spending just as much as if I'd bought one of those UK-made custom jobs...

Tomintoul

Two Stroke
Stock Scrambler and Scrambler gel seats don't have the bump you're talking about - they're flat and damn comfy, although I've just added a gelseat the other day and find it hard. I'm hoping it softensup a bit when it gets a few miles under it's belt.

bob

Hate to put a spanner in yr works. But the Thruxton seat has actually slightly less padding than stock, and also has a dip towards tank. But on the bright side. You can add a cowl

attachment.php

Last edited:

taw1126

Scooter
Hate to put a spanner in yr works. But the Thruxton seat has actually slightly less padding than stock, and also has a dip towards tank. But on the bright side. You can add a cowl
Looks like we've been through about the same amount of seats...Thanks for the heads-up regarding the padding.

I know the Thruxton seat dips towards the tank, but from photos it looked like the driver's portion of the seat is about the same size as the solo seat on the "solo seat & rack" version, giving more room than what I can get with the "hump" in the standard Bonnie seat. The trade-off appears to be less room for a pillion. Is that not the case?

Plan Z might be adding a body-colored cowling in place of the useless rack on my solo seat. I saw that done on another forum and the cowl bolts right on & gives a different look.

Bit hard to remember as I dont have the Thruxton anymore Taw. But from memory I believe it was about the same or maybe a little less room than stock seat for rider. Cant comment on similarity to seat with rack as I have never owned one. Have you looked into getting your stock seat proffesionally repadded? I am looking at doing that to my stock to make it similar to the original trophy seat, that I showed pic of earlier. In fact near identical to the ones you found on that italian site
CIMG1423.JPG

attachment.php

Attachments

• Scrambler.jpg
    Scrambler.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

taw1126

Scooter
Have you looked into getting your stock seat proffesionally repadded?

That was actually the very first thing I did. The outfit I talked to said they couldn't get around the factory "hump" in the Bonnie seat. So what I might do is get the Scrambler surfboard (though you guys now have me worried about the gel version...it gets pretty damned hot in Texas) and look into buying one of the replacement seat covers made for the early bikes. That's probably my best route to an original-looking, comfortable seat.

The outfit I talked to said they couldn't get around the factory "hump"

I dont see how the hump matters as all they do is add more padding to part rider sits on to bring up to similar height to the hump between front near tank and rise near pillion?
I have been given an address of a local upholsterer here in Sydney, and when have time will get a quote from him.
I am hoping it will be a cheaper alternative, as I personally (and it does seem to be just me) find that in extreme heat the Scrambler seat is too hot.

attachment.php

Attachments

• CIMG1423.jpg
    CIMG1423.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

wiseanhyzer

Two Stroke
I don't think they were "wrong" as much as they were "unwilling". Moot point now...I should have one of those high-priced Burton seats that looks like the originals installed before Good Friday.

I can't wait to hear what you think of the Burton seat on the Scrambler. They sure look sharp.