having problems deciding

phil

Street Tracker
hi everyone, I 'm looking at buying myself a triumph for my first new bike. I've looked at about a 100 bike so far and the one that stands out the most are the triumphs. I would like some advice on what I should look for , or mabey what Kind I should get. thanks for you're time .

Depends on how much riding experience you have. What kind of terrain you expect to ride on, etc etc. Not enough information from you to answer.

Bonafide

NBR founder
Ya might want to take some test rides ...

The damn near ZERO maintenance of the Bonneville is an added bonus to how much FUN it is to ride and 100% cool factor it puts off just sitting there.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
Well, I bought a Jap cruiser a few years ago. Thought It would be fun, till I actually had to ride the damned thing more than 10 miles. It killed my back. So the next thing I did was park the cruiser and do nothing but mentally masturbate for a couple of years on what would fit my needs as a rider. I liked the looks of the Bonnies and as soon as I swung a leg over one I knew it was the right bike for me. It was a standard bike position which was good for my back. It has useable power, plenty for me. And when I go for a toot, just about every other ride I go on I notice that there's at least looks if not outright honking and thumbs up action. It's not overly heavy and it lends itself to all sorts of modifications.

I don't ride as much as I'd like to, so it's nice to have a bike that puts a smile on my 2 wheel excursions.

+1 on the ZERO maintenance.

Last edited:

drlapo

Hooligan
Phil , where do you live? is there a good dealer nearby? how is the used bike market?
will you keep the firt bike long? will you "trade up" soon?
all these, and more, are to be considered
I have a 2007 Kaw EX500 for $3200 with 2700 miles on it and it sits in my rec room unloved.
that's the kind of first bike to consider

KingBear

Hooligan
If you have to think that hard about it then maybe it's not for you. In my case it was love at first site, an instant obsession continuing unabated for the last five years. It includes over a year of pure unfulfilled lust before I brought Roxy home. I sometimes think of buying another motorcycle in addition to my Bonnie, but never think of trading her. Other bikes would be mere concubines.

Last edited:

Bonneville09er

Street Tracker
i agree with love at first sight. i wanted a scrambler bad, my bro said check out the bonneville and that was it. even looked at sportsters and just didnt get me like the bonnie.

The Bonneville isn't bad as a first bike. A learner bike like a Ninja 250 or Honda Shadow 250 would be better if you are a complete newb to riding.

I made the mistake of getting a Daytona 675 as a first bike...big big mistake. With how much I spent with repairs, I could have bought another bike. But now I'm in too deep and have both a Bonnie and 675....and the funny thing is once I got the Bonnie, my riding on the 675 greatly improved. And once I got convinced to do Track Days, the Daytona 675 hardly ever sees street riding. I'll only ride the 675 if I feel like hitting some canyons or random times during winter time so it just doesn't sit and deteriorate.

I saw immediately how I was going as fast...if not faster on corners with my Bonnie than I was my 675. I gained more confidence and some riding skills with the Bonnie. Now the Bonnie is the do everything bike...(Im even stupid/crazy enough to go tame ride on some fireroads). Here's some mileage perspectives:

Daytona 675: ~16,000 miles...got this back in May 2006
Bonneville: almost 21,000 miles..got this only 18 or 19 months ago.

Hedge

American Infidel
Well . . . you could buy a Triumph and have something in common with a whole ass-load of people who fully understand each other; or you could buy any other bike you want and probably have fun as well but when you see us on our Triumph's you will know in your heart of hearts that you are just another wannabe who pines for something he could have gotten but didn't! Sleep on that for a few more nights and know that you will never be fully satisfied until you have a Triumph Motorcycle between your legs!
Kinda hard to explain . . . your either in or your out! :)

If i was 16 again and buying my first bike (without the nostalgia of the Bonneville) . I would get the Street speed triple. But truth is at 16 I bought a Yami RD and loved it till I wrote it off trying different and stupid things. So pleased i chose the path i did before getting my dream bike.

Hedge

American Infidel
If i was 16 again and buying my first bike (without the nostalgia of the Bonneville) . I would get the Street speed triple. But truth is at 16 I bought a Yami RD and loved it till I wrote it off trying different and stupid things. So pleased i chose the path i did before getting my dream bike.
The RD 350 & the Kenny Roberts Special were 2 of my all time favorite bikes! I beleive Dr. Lapo still has an RD in his stable!

phil

Street Tracker
we'll I've been riding a 1978 Yamaha s for about 3 years now and I have enough money for a brand new bike the triumphs caught my eye. I've only been riding for about 3 years , and manly ride in town and I go on a 1500km trip once a year to see my Buddie in moose jaw,sk Canada . I usually ride my bike to work everyday as well. I guess that was kinda of rude of me I 'm from prince albert, sk. Canada. Nice to meet some people with the same passion for bikes. some time that all I think about is bikes(LOL)

tribear

Street Tracker
With the added info. you've divulged phil, sounds to me like you are in. Get a Bonnie. You won't regret it.:cheers:

Yep, with 3 years behind you and looking to ride about town every day and still do a long holiday trip the Bonnie will be the one. Go for it.

phil

Street Tracker
o.k. cool. what's the difference between the bonnie and the bonnieville s.e. To me it just looked like there was a tach on one and not the other. Is the T-100 the same things too?

07black&red

Two Stroke
Same motor. Same great bikes. Some have a slightly different seat height. Some have more chrome and gauges and cost a little more while some have a little less bling and cost a little less. Just get the one that you like the looks of best and commence to ride, my Canadian Nizzle!!

KingBear

Hooligan
o.k. cool. what's the difference between the bonnie and the bonnieville s.e. To me it just looked like there was a tach on one and not the other. Is the T-100 the same things too?
The T-100 is the only bike left with true Bonneville styling. The standard Bonneville and SE have the chopped fenders, alloy rims and smaller front wheel which, combined with the large tank, make it look more like an ugly Japanese bike than a retro Brit bike.

To me there's just no comparison, whether they have the same power plant or not...
T100_2010_gallery3L_1024x768.jpg

Bonneville_2010_gallery1L_1024x768.jpg