Throttle sticking

Gretsch

Rocker
Hi Guys,

Ever since I reinstalled my carbs from the rejet I seem to have a problem with my throttle sticking. I didn't remove the cables when I worked on the carbs so that might be what did it. I can't find a kink in the cables or anything obvious that would be causing a problem. Where should I be looking?

Thanks!

pepper

Street Tracker
How long ago did the problem start? Sorry, FNG here, I don't know when you did your carb work.

With the bike turned off turn the front wheel full left, open the throttle and let it go. Does the throttle snap right back? Check the same thing with the wheel straight ahead and then again full right. Do you get full snap back at any position?

If you loosen the freeplay adjuster on the cables (one at a time) at the throttle housing does that make a differance? The cable ends still riding in the cutouts in the spring cam correctly? The cable wires themselves didn't get hung on the cam somehow? I've seen a sticky throttle or two over the years so I'm simply throwing out what I'd start looking at and where a likely culprit might be.

Gretsch

Rocker
How long ago did the problem start? Sorry, FNG here, I don't know when you did your carb work.

With the bike turned off turn the front wheel full left, open the throttle and let it go. Does the throttle snap right back? Check the same thing with the wheel straight ahead and then again full right. Do you get full snap back at any position?

If you loosen the freeplay adjuster on the cables (one at a time) at the throttle housing does that make a differance? The cable ends still riding in the cutouts in the spring cam correctly? The cable wires themselves didn't get hung on the cam somehow? I've seen a sticky throttle or two over the years so I'm simply throwing out what I'd start looking at and where a likely culprit might be.

It seems to be persistent no matter what way I turn the bars. I was thinking the cable was kinked but I can't find anything. The cam assembly looks OK and the wires seem to be fine. I did notice one of the cable wires rubbing on the cam but I moved it out of the way and I've still got the issue. I guess I'm driving my car to work tomorrow since I don't feel good about riding with the bike in this condition.

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
KISS.... do you have the throttle grip too far off to the right on the handlebar so that it's binding against a bar-end mirror or plug?

KISS2... if you disconnect the cables from the carb (not hard, but involves some delicate cursing with the needle-nose), does the handgrip still stick? How about the lever on the carb that the cables pull? Does that snap back when you pull it down or is the sticking there? Could be something got caught in that pivot...

Gretsch

Rocker
KISS.... do you have the throttle grip too far off to the right on the handlebar so that it's binding against a bar-end mirror or plug?

KISS2... if you disconnect the cables from the carb (not hard, but involves some delicate cursing with the needle-nose), does the handgrip still stick? How about the lever on the carb that the cables pull? Does that snap back when you pull it down or is the sticking there? Could be something got caught in that pivot...

KISS #1 - I had that problem before and fixed it.

KISS #2 - I haven't disconnected the cables but the lever seems to snap back when I take the tension off the cables.

pepper

Street Tracker
Wish I would have checked back in here earlier, I could have called you. I think we're in the same time zone. If for no other reason than for moral support.

If that lever is snapping back with tension off your cables I'd pretty much rule out the carb rack. I'm thinking it's got to be upstream from there. Which cable or both you'll have to find out by checking them. I'd disconnect the return cable at the carbs first. For no other reason than if it's the one dragging you can still ride with just the pull open cable if its ok until your spares come in.

Well, fwiw I feel for ya. Seems like sometimes things turn into a pain in the ass just when you don't need them to. Hope tomorrow's a better day.

TC_Dick

TT Racer
Gretsch, did you get this solved?

I had the same problem.. adjusting the throttle cables at the grip fixed it for me. I loosened 'em both until the problem went away, then slowly tightened one until the problem started coming back.. I backed it off just a touch and tightened the lock nut. repeated the same process on the second one and now the throttle feels perfect.

Gretsch

Rocker

I had the same problem.. adjusting the throttle cables at the grip fixed it for me. I loosened 'em both until the problem went away, then slowly tightened one until the problem started coming back.. I backed it off just a touch and tightened the lock nut. repeated the same process on the second one and now the throttle feels perfect.

Yeah I should have followed up on this. I got it fixed by loosening up the cables and adjusting them back to the correct setting. Same thing that you did TC. Works like a charm now.

+1. Had the same issue and fixed it with the same method used by T.C.