1969 Tiger

oldroadie

Scooter
With any luck after I inspect this lovely machine it will be mine this afternoon and I can start planning how to proceed. I'm torn between getting it back to stock since most of the good stuff appears to still be intact or going crazy and making a sweet little bob/chop for short distance riding. All opinions are welcome...
69Tiger.jpg

Bonniebret

Rocker
That's always a toughie. Given by the looks in the photo I'd say keep it stock and make it a head turner. Save the bobber for a basket case.

Hamr Mark

TT Racer
That's always a toughie. Given by the looks in the photo I'd say keep it stock and make it a head turner. Save the bobber for a basket case.

I have to agree. I am always on the lookout for 'something' to make a nice little bobber out of, but the condition of this bike, seems to be pretty good to keep stock. Clean it all up, replace the broken parts, and you'll have yourself a really nice head-turner.

And that looks to be a Daytona 500? Duh!..You say it's a Tiger....it's too early for me....

Last edited:

KingBear

Hooligan
Bobbers are a dime a dozen nowadays, nothing startling about that. But an original Tiger, well...

But do what you want, make it whatever you will enjoy riding. That's all that matters.

D9

Vendor
Wow, what a lil' sweetheart... yeah, restore & make it a rider... def a headturner!

oldroadie

Scooter
I got her back into the shop just before the downpours began.

69TR6.jpg

It's not quite a stock Tiger but I've been concentrating so hard on getting a correct period Bonneville that I don't know my Tiger numbers well enough to know what I bought.

tigernumber.jpg

This number doesn't match the range I was expecting, plus, it's only four digits. The frame matches. I'll find out what it's meant to be and then it'll go back to the original design. I won't consider a bobber now even if I don't know exactly what it is.

Last edited:

oldroadie

Scooter
Yes, sir, it appears to be a 1964 Highway Trophy with 1969 Tiger tins and front brake. It's been converted over to 12V complete with a Tympanium regulator. Not a complete mish-mash of parts but enouygh of each model to make it an interesting challenge; since only 400+ of the Highway Trophys were builty I won't be bobbing this one. The real debate rages on whether to attempt a factory correct resto or to restorize it utilizing the existing parts. I'm not so sure I'd want to re-Lucas it...

Hamr Mark

TT Racer
It's only original once blah blah blah...

For my '71 Trail Blazer (see the thread in this section) I am going for N.O.S parts. I am doing that more for me, so that I know that my bike has the correct period pieces. I could care less about re-sale value, or what others may say.

And no matter what I (we) do, there will always be someone saying that "hmmm, that's the wrong colour flux capacitor you have there. Those were only made between 54-58 and the tank colour is a shade off, and have you changed...etc etc"

So, go NOS, but do it because you want to, not for others.

And Lucas? I say sure why not? You have your new ride for reliability etc, this is a project, so have some fun with it.

oldroadie

Scooter
no matter what I (we) do, there will always be someone saying that "hmmm, that's the wrong colour flux capacitor you have there. Those were only made between 54-58 and the tank colour is a shade off, and have you changed...etc etc"

That's more along the line I'm tend to stay away from; I'll make a very nice reliable bike out of the parts and ride it until I can't kick start it anymore. As long as I don't harm the core bike it'll be a nice find for a future buyer...distant future...as in "when my right leg falls off.":w

Kirkus51

Hooligan
Here we are in the NewBonnie forum in which mebbe a bike or two has not had some mods done to it. Sooooo.... you gotta do what you need to do to make it your funsickle.

oldroadie

Scooter
Agreed. My '04 America is far, far, from stock and the '01 Bonnie I passed along to my nephew last summer had been extensively accessorized utilizing our splendid vendors...it's all good. The main thing with me has always been to enjoy the ride; but, I'll admit it doesn't hurt to ride a head turning bike, either.

jeddy-3

Two Stroke
So, go NOS, but do it because you want to, not for others.

+1 On that. What a nice machine you have there.....you are very lucky. I have always loved the old Tigers....and don't know enough about them to know why. All I know is that many times when I first see an old Triumph I really really like I later find out its a Tiger. Congrats!

Hamr Mark

TT Racer
Hey Roadie,

I just came across a '68 T100S 500cc. Good shape, has electrical issues, and needs paint. He's asking $3000...looks like I might have to start selling some lp's and my old comic book collection...

oldroadie

Scooter
It's an addiction isn't it? I've spent the last few days free time searching the internet for NOS bits of this and that...but...I think I'll get her running nicely first and then swap out the odd bits as I come across them.

sidreilley

Scooter
Congratulations, that's a really nice TR6! It's great to have all the trouble free convenience of the new Bonneville s but there's something charming and addictive about the old bikes. They are more like owning a horse then a modern vehicle. I still have a (more or less) restored 68 T100R (Daytona) and it's a delight, especially when I don't have to rely on it for whatever. You will have to learn about maintenance first hand though.
I would suggest looking in at Britbike.com while you're surfing, there are some really knowledgeable folks there when it comes to old Brit stuff. Also, they have the CDs with all factory shop and parts manuals (and a lot of other stuff) from 1930-1976 on one disc. You will be glad you have that when you start trying to figure out what's been re-wired. Enjoy, you're a real motorcyclist now!

oldroadie

Scooter
OK,

So, where's the update?

I'm starting at the front and working my way back. I originally thought I'd just change tires and swap out fluids and go riding until winter but the bike changed my mind when I found a crack inside the front rim.

Here's phase one:
first step, get her off the floor:

jackedup.jpg

The front wheel rim was cracked so a new rim and spokes were the order of the day:

before.jpg

after.jpg

The shiny bits are polishing up nicely while still retaining some of the character of age:

polished.jpg

And then the fork tubes gave up their ugly truth:

oldforkoil.JPG

That much emulsified oil meant breaking into the tubes which I find to be horribly scored so replacements are on order; bushings, sleeves, tubes and cap nuts and I'll be getting the lot when I return from a couple of weeks on tour on the west coast.

innards.jpg