Eeek Guns!

cynr1023

TT Racer
Finally got to shoot the Hi-Point you all warned me about. Keep in mind I haven't shot any pistol other than a German Luger when I was 11 and the military issue Berretta 9mm and I've only shot that three times in 15 years.I took 150 rounds of ammo. 50 of each type I had purchased so far. Winchester White Box, Monarch, and Blazer Brass
I took notes per mag and as the error occurred.
I had three magazines. One new with the gun has been loaded with ammo for the last three weeks, and two used that I just recently purchased from a fellow forum member. (thanks Charlie)

1st 50 rounds:
Monarch 180gr TMJ (by magazine) @ 7 meters
1. New; no issues, shots were low and scattered
2. Used; rd 6 failure to feed (I do believe that I hit the mag release button and that's what caused this)
3. Used; went to 3.5 meters; rd 2 failure to feed (more than likely caused by limp wristing it)
4. New; 3.5 meters; rd 2 failure to feed(see above)
5. Used; 3.5 meters; rd 10 failed to eject properly (would having the pistol tilted slightly cause this?)

Next 40 rounds:
Blazer Brass 180gr FMJ (by magazine) @ 3.5 meters
1. New; no issues
2. Used; no issues
3. Used; no issues
4. Used; rd 6 failure to feed(limp wristing it again)

Final 40 rounds:
Winchester White Box 180gr FMJ (by magazine) @ 7 meters
1. Used; rd 2 slow to feed
2. New; no issues
3. Used; rd 9 failure to feed
4. Used; no issues

This is the first time I've ever shot a pistol for anything other than "shoot 'em up" entertainment value. I've adjusted the sights as much as possible and have it fairly well centered which to me is the important thing. It shoots a bit low and I've adjusted that as much as I can so I will adjust my aim point. Essentially aiming for the throat for a chest hit and the forehead for a face shot. All in all I was quite pleased with the performance of the gun. I pulled the trigger, it went bang. At $135 OTD what more do you want. I used the ghost sites because one of the rear site blades had been "smooshed" off (yes, that is a technical term) Dummy that I am I didn't inspect it at the store when I bought it. Had i realized that the sites were plastic I may have, but probably not. Dang, it's a new gun; it should all be good; but apparently not. No biggie. My question is this: How in tarnation do you aim with a ghost site? I ended up focusing on the ring itself at the back of the pistol, superimposing that onto the target and then bringing the dot from the front site into the top portion of the ring. Pull trigger, go boom, hit target. Now it did what I wanted it to but am I doing it "right"? Oh and I got my shot group from scattered across a 8.5 x 11 piece of paper into roughly a 4 inch diameter circle at 7 meters. I definitely noticed the adrenaline from shooting, I was a little excited about it and it affected my ability to see "clearly" I noticed some hand shake that will probably go away with enough practice as well.

ssjones

750cc
I was all over the place the first time shooting my new Ruger .357 last month. To that point, the only pistol I ever shot was my MKII .22 about once a year. At 25 yards, with the 3" .357 a lot of my shots didn't even hit paper, much less the target area. We closed into about 15 yards and my results improved dramatically. This was shooting in a field. On a postive note, my marksmanship can only improve, hopefully dramatically!
Finally got to shoot the Hi-Point you all warned me about. Keep in mind I haven't shot any pistol other than a German Luger when I was 11 and the military issue Berretta 9mm and I've only shot that three times in 15 years....... I definitely noticed the adrenaline from shooting, I was a little excited about it and it affected my ability to see "clearly" I noticed some hand shake that will probably go away with enough practice as well.

ricky

Street Tracker
I made the commitment to myself to start reloading.
It will be a while before I get everything together.
Day one:
I just scored on a RL550B Dillon that came set up with carbide .223 dies.
The guy also threw in around a 100 pieces of brass and 38 bullets for free.
I just got home tonight with a three rail Ohaus balance scale for really cheap.

That's what I've got so far... long ways to go, huh?

Suggestions on all the other crap I need would be helpful.
Day two:
Picked up an almost new Dillon vibrator (somehow that sounds dirty)
RCBS 38/357 three die set.
800+ rounds of 38 & 357 brass in the Dillon shell holder boxes.

Last edited:

Goin-Commando

Street Tracker
Day one:

Day two:
400+ rounds of 38 & 357 brass in the Dillon shell holder boxes.

Cool! I just loaded my first 20 rounds of .223 day before yesterday, gonna go to the range tomorrow and try them out in the bolt gun. I also have the die set for just sizing the necks= this will make the bolt gun even more accurate.

I have the Lee reloading book, it's pretty informative, I suggest reading a book like this before loading your first bullet.

koifarm

Hooligan
I usta love reloading, it saved me bunches when I was engaged in a lot of shooting of varying types, range, desert, skeet, etc. etc.
Just spending a nice evening loading rounds was fun and often sociable when someone came by to help by necking or pulling primers and stuff.
The only thing I would offer up is that a progressive press is really the ideal, coupled with periodic weight checks on the powder dispenser it can churn out enough rounds to keep you in ammo for the weekends shooting.
Best fun, in ROTC we had a deactivated .30 cal machine gun with the pin removed, and we tied a string to the bolt lever and with the barrel between our legs, a push from a foot, and a pull from the string, we could unbelt ammo to shoot in the M-1's for practice. Since every fifth round was a tracer, we gathered them up in a barrel and when enough were ready, would belt them up, borrow the .30 cal machine gun for the weekend, put the pin back in, wait for nightfall, and shoot full belts of tracer up against a cliffside.

Paddyboy30

Two Stroke
My question is this: How in tarnation do you aim with a ghost site? I ended up focusing on the ring itself at the back of the pistol, superimposing that onto the target and then bringing the dot from the front site into the top portion of the ring. Pull trigger, go boom, hit target. Now it did what I wanted it to but am I doing it "right"? Oh and I got my shot group from scattered across a 8.5 x 11 piece of paper into roughly a 4 inch diameter circle at 7 meters. I definitely noticed the adrenaline from shooting, I was a little excited about it and it affected my ability to see "clearly" I noticed some hand shake that will probably go away with enough practice as well.[/QUOTE]

With a ghost ring sight, work it exactly like a bigger version of a rifle's peep sight. Keep your focus on front sight. The ring ought to look a little blurry (which is why they call it a ghost ring). Your eyes should pretty much automatically center the front sight in the circle, and put the front sight on target. Have fun!

KingBear

Hooligan
Yeah, ghost rings are meant for heads up instinctive shooting, not long distance target-grade accuracy, but with practice you can get to be pretty accurate. Because of the short sight radius I wouldn't use them on pistols though.

ricky

Street Tracker
Day one:

Day two:
800+ rounds of 38 & 357 brass in the Dillon shell holder boxes.

Day three:
Scored on 1,000 rounds of once fired 223 brass for $80ºº.

JEnfield

Street Tracker
You are on your way Rickey. I have been reloading for 20 years now everything from hand gun to shotgun so if you have any ? just ask. I reload several thousand rounds a month mostly handgun but am getting back into rifle work after a year off just ordered a new single stage press yesterday and 2 sets of dies. I got the Lee Classic Cast 50BMG kit to replace a CH long stroke that is plum wore out.

Jimmy

ricky

Street Tracker
I do have a question.
I've read that some were going to the feed store and buying Kay Kob, (corn cob), bedding. The same as coarse media as to what it's called per the gun stores.
Apparently some have used this with a couple of fabric softener sheets in the vibrator. They claim it cuts down on the static and the sheets soak up any dirt and oil from the brass.
I haven't bought any yet but I did check the price at the local feed store.
$19.99 for 40 lbs. Damn, that will last me for a loooooonnnnng time.
Does that sound like it would work?

KingBear

Hooligan
I've often wondered what would happen if you were to take your clutch and brake levers and such bits as that and throw them into a vibrating case polisher. Bet they'd come out mighty purty!

JEnfield

Street Tracker
I use crushed walnut it cuts the time in half the harder the material the faster it cleans the cases and I also use brass polish in my media so if it helps.

Jimmy

Gretsch

Rocker
Hording is going well. I've now got enough guns and ammo for a small war. More is on the way of course. :)

ricky

Street Tracker
I had to "let go" of my XD9 tonight. Got $490 for it.

That's OK though... the money is in an envelope marked "Kimber". :woot:

Paddyboy30

Two Stroke
I just got to take my LWRC M6A2 carbine to the range to get her sighted in, and I'm in love again! I put over 100 rounds through it and she stayed very cool and very clean through it all. I think I'm sold on gas piston AR's! I'll get pics posted as soon as I can get my camera working again...

drlapo

Hooligan
just in case the feds are monitoring this thread; I have destroyed all my firearms, knives and any other objects that could be used as a weapon
I place all my trust in my govenment to protect and care for me