12k Mile Service

SCL18

Two Stroke
I normally do my own work but for peace of mind i went ahead and scheduled a 12k mile service to include everything except plugs and oil change.

My question is what should i expect to pay?

-Valve check/adjust
-carb balance
-lube & adjust clutch & throttle
-torque checks
-misc check up

....a rough quote over the phone (i said rough) was $300-$350 (= 2-3 hours labor + parts + shop tools)

So is that reasonable?

CAPTDON

Street Tracker

That sounds prety reasonabble? Triumph I think said that the valves may not need adjust @ 12k. They said that maybe 16k was closer? I told my bud (close) to check compression. The motor sounds rite on now. May save him some $$ for now. It will be an issue some day soon. We will se?

Damn! I was quoted almost 500 bones for the 12k service. Do I need to do this right at 12k? I'll be there within the next couple of weeks. I just broke the bank replacing the tires and brakes.

Soulrebel

Street Tracker
Funkyman, I feel your pain. I had the valve ADJUSTMENT done and 2 new tires. That bill was steep, $500+.:eek:

CAPTDON

Street Tracker

As I said earlier- if the valves dont clack, you may not need the adjustment just yet! All the other shit you can do yourself. Carbs, filters, checking tightness, etc we all (well most of us) do regularly. I told my bud to do a compression test. A simple process. If there is a loud clack regularly- its time!
If not- there are some people out there that say valves can get tighter. I still cant see that happenning since metal parts wear. Valves will seat in the 1st 1000 mi. After that they will build up carbon etc & get looser. I told him if he thinks that the valves can get tighter- do a compression test. That will tell all on the tighter theory. If the valves are relativy quiet- then even Triumph said an adjustment may not be necessary till 16000 mi+.His are pretty quiet rite now & he may not need to do it just yet. Its not like its a warranty issue. When my valves start to talk to me- I will probably try to give it a go myself? Unless the dealer -( dont know who that is rite now) gives me a good $$# it is a "Be carefull" item but i did them on a JAg & I got some downloads & the mamnual to do it step by step.Will see what happens. Its a while away for me but he is real close to the 12k. Having ridden w/ him weekly- I dont think he is there yet. Will see & let all know

normandy

Street Tracker
Spring for a haynes manual, score a few tools and buy a couple cases of beer. It will be a lot cheaper. I am just over 30000 K and am starting only now to hear one exhaust valve starting to tick a little. It depends a LOT on how you ride your bike really.

CAPTDON

Street Tracker
Valves

Yeah Norm- its a sound thing. There are 2 valves intake & exhaust on the r&L banks. My buds BA had the 2 exhaust valves doin a nice ragaee beat @ idle. I think it wAS HISTIME! The valves on these bikes arent quiet by any means! I guess its when you think its time or your bike has a nice steady percussion rythm? In the old days-we adjusted them when the bike started to run shitty or the noise became embarrasingly noticable? Its a tedious job- but doable. If A dealer (good one) wants $250-300 DONE. If $500 pass! Will se when the time co,mes>?:confused:

SCL18

Two Stroke
Spring for a haynes manual, score a few tools and buy a couple cases of beer. It will be a lot cheaper. I am just over 30000 K and am starting only now to hear one exhaust valve starting to tick a little. It depends a LOT on how you ride your bike really.

I have the Haynes, Factory Manual, know how, most tools, and you guys as a wealth of knowledge but like i said its a peace of mind thing.

Its mainly the valve adjustment, carb balance, and throttle adjust (i messed it up a bit when i was first attempting to remove the carbs to replace jets).

It sounds like $300'ish is fare price but like i said it was rough so it most likely will be more (hopefully no more then $400).

TeeBee

scooter
My '04 just had it's 20 000 km service (12 000 miles). Mechanic told me the valves were within the limits.

Greetings,
Thor

drlapo

Hooligan
how does a valve get "noisy" or "clack"???
the cam to valve clearances are tightneing with wear not loosening so the valves will get more quiet with age
remember a noisy vavle is a happy valve
noise at start up is because the engine is cold and the clearances are at their max. the "valves" get quieter as the engine heats up and the clearances decrease that is why there are clearances in the first place

Hedge

American Infidel
I'm thinking two things -
A. The Doc's right!
B. Sweats right because I actually watched and helped UncleCharlie do his BA which is a 790 engine.

Soulrebel

Street Tracker
"Normandy -It depends a LOT on how you ride your bike really."

I must ride the shit out of my bike, cause 8 of 8 shims needed to be replaced (exchanged, my dealer doesn't charge for shims that can be re-used.) at 13.5k. I will have the dealer to the valves until the warranty is up and then I will do them myself. I have been doing them on my VW for 15+ years. It can't too hard.

SCL18

Two Stroke
"Normandy -It depends a LOT on how you ride your bike really."

I must ride the shit out of my bike, cause 8 of 8 shims needed to be replaced (exchanged, my dealer doesn't charge for shims that can be re-used.) at 13.5k. I will have the dealer to the valves until the warranty is up and then I will do them myself. I have been doing them on my VW for 15+ years. It can't too hard.

I ride the shit out of my bike...city driving, pot holes, bad roads, heavy accelerating, hard braking, stop go, stop go, speed bumps, etc.

Stock Tires & Brakes lasted less then 7k miles and the current set of tires/brakes is looking like even less. Speaking of which it might be time for a new chain....?

normandy

Street Tracker
I admit to taking it pretty easy on her for the most part but seriously, I just checked the valves this winter and they were all out of spec between 1 and 3 thousands over. I'll probably do them this winter. It runs tops.

CAPTDON

Street Tracker
Valves

I think some are a little too concerned about a slight spec difference/ in valves. If they get real regular tapping- its time! Hell I have driven Jags w/ the same system many miles before the "Tap" got bad. If some think valves get tighter, & they arent loud- do a compression test? Valves are a biggy w/ the Bonne's. Here here for hydraulic compensators!!

MOSES

750cc
I have been doing them on my VW for 15+ years. It can't too hard.

Thank God the Trumpets arent as needy on the Valve adustments as the VW's.... Owned VW's(ALOT) for years. Sold em all and can't get away, I do at least 3 Valve adjusments a week at my part time job. :(